Nomad Factory's Magnetic - New and on sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the info, and least they are including some users, though I wont be one of those.

Never mind!

Compyfox wrote:First time I saw this I was like "wait, did they copy from Magix GUI wise?"
I was thinking more along the lines of a super-sized old-school Steinberg Magneto.

But I could also see the MAGIX AM-TRACK similarity.

The question is whether or not MAGIX copied from Steinberg GUI-wise...

:wink:

redshift factor wrote:
Compyfox wrote:First time I saw this I was like "wait, did they copy from Magix GUI wise?"
I was thinking more along the lines of a super-sized old-school Steinberg Magneto.

LoL, I hope you're not being serious :lol:

But damn this reminds me of Magneto and how cool it really was.. back when nobody seemed to be too interested in that kind of saturation.

I checked the demo version today, and I must say I like it a lot.
It is quite flexible and you can get some nice flavours...the different modes in the Lows, Highs, Sat and Tape Color sections allow to achieve different results and levels of definition (lack of definition also, if you need).

I'm almost convinced... just need some more A/B-ing with BadBussMojo and Varisaturator...

pheeleep wrote:Here's the info I just got from Nomad:

MAGNETIC is free for previous ISP users who bought the ISP from May 1, 2010 until today.

This "from" means before? or from May 1st till now?

It means whoever bought it on May 1st until now. So April 30 does not count ;) But if you bought it on April 30, then e-mail Nomad and they may give it to you.. I don't know..

Maybe they are still figuring out exactly what to do. I think it will be sorted at the end of the group buy. My best advice is, if you have a question for Nomad, shoot them an e-mail. They answer pretty quickly.

Oh and I've been playing with the demo more and I like this one a lot. It goes in my thumbs up pile for sure.
Play it by ear

The Demo worked fine for me. Now that I bought it, it crashes whenever I try and add it to an existing track. Weird thing is, it does not crash when I add it to a new empty project (Live8/OSX 10.6.5)

Anybody here experiencing this?

Anyone else tried comparisons with VW2? A friend told me to get Magnetic but i've been thinking of PSP's plugin for some time too.

redshift factor wrote:

I really just wonder if there is any copying going on at all. I mean, after a while, you can only present VU meters a certain way, right? And both the VU meters AND the knobs in Magnetic have been in previous Nomad Factory plug-ins for years. I don't see any similarities between the three except for color and the fact that they both HAVE knobs and VU meters.

So maybe they "stole" the color, lol!

Brent
My host is better than your host

zeep wrote:Anyone else tried comparisons with VW2? A friend told me to get Magnetic but i've been thinking of PSP's plugin for some time too.
They really aren't the same type of plug-in. I haven't tried Magnetic, but VW2 is NOT a tape emulation plug-in. It's a dynamics processor(multi-band compressor, really) that adds color to your audio. Magnetic is through and through just a tape emulation plug-in.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I'm leaning toward getting this, especially at the current "sale price" -- it gives pretty accurate "tape-specific" results VERY quickly, which is (obviously :hihi:) its strong point.

I could likely do many of the same things with my other saturation/overdrive/distortion and/or "warming" effects, but this one produces nice (or NOT-so-nice ;)) results with a minimum of fuss. If I close my eyes, then I can almost convince myself that I'm working with the ol' college's reel-to-reel system. :hihi:

The GUI's nice -- almost too nice, because the schmucks loaded it up with a nice red shade and just enough knobs/menus to keep plenty of variety available without going "overboard." :lol:

I'm going to demo it for another week or two -- after all, we have until 12/12 to get it on sale. :D

Does anyone here use URS's Saturator tape emulation plugin
http://www.ursplugins.com/ursSAT.html
...which happens to be on sale this month also, but for $99.00?

Has anyone compared them?
I have demoed URS Saturator, and wasn't convinced to buy it. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it, but it seemed to make tracks more crunchy, as Magneto also does, when all I want is that warm, syrupy smoothness that I hear on certain albums like Robben Ford's "Blue Line", or David Gilmour's 1978 solo album, if any of you have given that one a listen lately.
Anyway, Saturator is the other leading VST tape emulator that I am familiar with. Those of you who have had time to play around with both, how do you think they stack up?
HP xw9300,2.4GHz 2xAMD Opteron dual core Win XP Pro
MOTU 2408Mk3&1296, MOTU MIDI Express 128
Cubase 5,WaveLab Essent,hdwr & soft synths,Hamer & Carvin guitars

Besides having the above mentioned problems with Live 8 (not in 7),
I personally find Magnetic very cool! It's a fantastic and fun to use tone shaper with a very musical sounding compression, when the color knob is being used. The 3 different EQ types for the 2 bands are more than useful and very different to each other. It all makes a lot of sense.

I do not care how authentic it is (sounding like real tape) because it sounds good.

49$? = no brainer!

:tu:

^^^ No contest: Magnetic.

If I were faced with the choice of buying one or the other right now, then I'd call "Magnetic" the "winner" in an instant, especially at the "sale" price.

I've had "Saturation" for a while, but it's just "okay" for tape emulation; the MUCH-greater flexibility/responsiveness of Nomad's offering leaves URS in the dust for all your "tape" needs. :D

I'm kinda concerned with miro's "crashing" experience in Live -- any resolution to that issue? :shock:

you using live 8, if I may ask? I just recently upgraded from 7 to 8 and have had quiet some problems but this one is the worst. Is it working ok for somebody here?
(Live 8.2.1 - OSX 10.6.5 macbook pro core 2 duo 2.16/late 2006)
Magnetic works fine in other programs for me but when inserting in live 8....crrrrraassshhhhh.... :shock: it's driving me nuts, especially since i want to use magnetic alot!

I'm in touch with Nomad and wrote Ableton...so...let's hope!

(sorry for going OT) :oops:

Return to “Effects”