Nomad Factory's Magnetic - New and on sale

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im om 1.3 here. Don't go any further till someone will confirm those crackles reported above.

I used to get glitches turning up the limiter gain (in 1.1 and 1.2), but this seems to have been fixed in 1.4.1. I never tried 1.3, because that was replaced by the unusable 1.4.0 before I could. I'm using Magnetic on the master bus immediately prior to the Elephant 3 limiter (set to low gain). I've never had glitches from the filter section (as someone reports here). What impact does Magnetic have on stereo image? Problem is there's no agreement as to what a tape emulator is supposed to do (in objective terms).

Just worked with it for the first time tonight.
Sent a group of tracks through it from a recent composition i'm working on .
I am recognizing the sound I dialed up as surely vintage tape sounding...and I like it!

Example wav;
http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... xample.wav
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

RexXx wrote: 2. I'm a bit irritated - the Vintage Tape Colour (only the vintage mode!) adds crackle, if I set it around 40% or higher.
Is this the "vintage" effect or a bug???
Hmmm tested here...no crackling of any sort...*very* smooth boosts all round here with that parameter at 40% + (or lower) Super smooth here. Well done Nomad. I hope you can find a solution for that problem...I cannot repro the issue here. (Sorry):shrug: Tested with 1.4.1 on Studio One Pro x64 - W7 x64.

General thoughts...
Gotta say...Magnetic is a wonder plug for the price. Loving it. :D What a bargain (Nomad Dont crack group buyer here) defintely one of the best plugins I have ever purchased. So easy to work magic on drums e.t.c love it. :D I thought nothing would ever displace the superb Varisaturator in my plugin library but after all the bug issues early that put me off Magnetic...now that 1.4.1 is out all I can say is :o it is a rather classy situation indeed currently all round. :hihi:

Rarely have I enjoyed using a plug this much.

So far, I've tested in Win7x64 and Cubase5 (32 & 64bit), Studio One Pro (32 & 64bit), different sample rates & resolutions, two audiocards, turned off CPU multi-processing in Studio One... I have no more ideas :?.
Strange is, crackles are only present in the vintage tape color mode!

Here is the unprocessed piano test wav file (24bit/44.1khz):
http://www.box.net/shared/brnz3ks6z7

christianmusicmaker wrote:
RexXx wrote: 2. I'm a bit irritated - the Vintage Tape Colour (only the vintage mode!) adds crackle, if I set it around 40% or higher.
Is this the "vintage" effect or a bug???
Hmmm tested here...no crackling of any sort...*very* smooth boosts all round here with that parameter at 40% + (or lower) ....
I'm confused by this, CMM. Rexx says he gets the problem when at 40% or higher.

You reply that you're having no problems at 40% + or lower -- which sounds to me like you're not contradicting him.

Or by using the + sign, you meant "higher" (as well as lower)...?

I probably wrote it the wrong way sorry...:) I meant at lower than 40 or higher.

I tested this over and over as I had my own doubts about Magnetic which I posted in this very thread but I just cannot repro the crackling. I almost want to reproduce it to find a potential tricky bug so that it can be fixed and we all benefit but...I just cannot repro at lower than 40 or higher for that particular parameter (or others). Could it be the audio material being used that is causing the problem for RexXx???

Might be a bug though that only shows up under certain conditions but I just cannot repro here. :shrug:

Can't say just how happy I am with the plugin at this point. Brilliant. Hope you get it sorted RexXx.

Appreciate the clarification (though I had guessed that's what you meant). :)

Yeah, I agree that his issue is looking more and more to be system-specific (or some strange combo of settings/events that no one else has encountered yet).

Time will surely tell...

Some more tests on my second partition with very fresh WinXP & Cubase5 (network off, antivirus off, different audio source files, re-installed magnetic 1.41 & 1.30) = same crackle result, damn! :x
Last edited by RexXx on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

I've got my 'tape color' knob @ 45 in my example .wav just above on this page, and below, but even though I was getting clicks while playing and tracking through it...and I assumed it was my card dropping out at that time...the audio render above doesn't seem to have clicks in it...even with treble up full on my monitor mixer.
I don't even know what version I have..it's in another pc.
I'll have to look into this and see where the crackles were coming from.

Example wav;
http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... xample.wav
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

standalone wrote:It's a key file obtained by a challenge/response process. You can make a backup of it and it will always work on the computer where you authorized the pluging, no matter if you reformat the hard drive. If you switch to another computer you need to authorize again.
can you authorise this on a stand-alone DAW then? IE - not connected to the net?
Cheers :)

Yes you can.

For the next few days (until 5 pm PST on Friday, August 5th, 2011) ILIO is selling all Nomad Factory plug-ins for 20% off. They are the official U.S. distributors for Nomad Factory now.

http://www.ilio.com/products/nomadfactory-plugins

Return to “Effects”