"Molot" VST Compressor (freeware) 0.3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DELETED

Been using it for several months now. This thing really has a special vibe to it. One of my favorite comps now!
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

maxxxter wrote:Is there a way to switch of the noisefloor?
You can set "dithering" to "low" in extended parameters (see the manual for details). Also I have plans to add "dithering off" option in next release.
Vlad from Tokyo Dawn Labs

Greetings vladg

I'm still using an early version of molot. There seems to be some extra punch within it compared to to the latest version. I wonder if you could give a brief description how the attack envelope has changed? It could be something more than just simple timing differences as I'm not able to get them null out each other. I was just trying to see if and how I can get exactly same sound with each version.
cheers

s_t wrote:Greetings vladg

I'm still using an early version of molot. There seems to be some extra punch within it compared to to the latest version. I wonder if you could give a brief description how the attack envelope has changed?
For attack/release envelopes from 0.2.155 to 0.2.168 Butterworth filter was replaced by Bessel one. It is not so early version and I don't think it's your difference.

Also in 0.2.130 (and only in this version) in RC and diode circuit simulation (for attack/release follower) some kind of signal leak was added. In release state small part of signal passes back through diode and attack circuit. I added it to shorter release time when gain reduction level is small. But it had unexpected side effect of negative compression ratio in some modes. See also bottom of this page: http://wp.me/p1hU3x-2j

No more changes related to envelopes were done.

BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)

vladg wrote:BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)
It's the 0.2.155 I'm using. So if I understood correctly, It's only the butterworth filter that have been replaced since that version? Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers

s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:BTW, what is you "early" version? (see the top left corner of the window)
It's the 0.2.155 I'm using. So if I understood correctly, It's only the butterworth filter that have been replaced since that version? Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers
Yes, you understood right. All changes that can affect sound between 155 and the latest version were:
* new dithering (I changed it after reading "Mastering audio: art & science" by Bob Katz);
* fixes for frequency response in oversampling mode (recalculated with higher precision to be more linear);
* and Bessel filter (as I wrote).

Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".

vladg wrote:
s_t wrote:
Cheers
Yes, you understood right. All changes that can affect sound between 155 and the latest version were:
* new dithering (I changed it after reading "Mastering audio: art & science" by Bob Katz);
* fixes for frequency response in oversampling mode (recalculated with higher precision to be more linear);
* and Bessel filter (as I wrote).

Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".
I say: add it! And see if people respond well to it.
no sig

vladg wrote:Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".
I would love to be able to switch between the old and new filter/envelope mode. Thank you very much.

s_t wrote:
vladg wrote:Do you think it is useful to add the switch for filter type in new release? Also I prefer sound in new version because it is more "edgy".
I would love to be able to switch between the old and new filter/envelope mode. Thank you very much.
+1 !!!

s_t wrote:
Okay! Added to my TODO list for the next release. I think I can do it in the second half of january.

what a cool looking interface. will have to give this a shot. thanks for your efforts.

vladg wrote:Okay! Added to my TODO list for the next release. I think I can do it in the second half of january.
BUT... I have a doubt is this sound change really related only with filter change?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18475891/molot- ... ilters.zip

This archive contains GUIless latest windows' 32 & 64 bits versions of Molot with new envelope filter and with filter from 0.2.155. This is the only difference between them.

Can anybody confirm that version from "old_filter" directory sounds more punchier than from "new_filter"? (I seems caught a cold and don't trust my ears today :-))

Thanks for the files vladg,

Yes, there is perceivable difference for benefit of the old filter version in terms of punchiness. The attack part seems to be fatter and more closer to the listener. You can actually see the difference with a peak meter, too. The old filter version sounds quite identical to 0.2.155 as far as I can tell.
cheers

Molot 0.3 is out

http://vladgsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

What's new? In short:

1. External stereo sidechaining support (inputs 3 and 4).
2. Additional linear phase oversampling support (latency 344 samples).

In long:

- VU-meter calibrated for -18 dBFS, 300 ms.
- By clicking on triangle in the bottom left corner now all parameter values
are shown. To increase value use the right mouse button. To decrease value
use the left mouse button.
- Automatic "Oversampling" parameter correction in presets when the project
uses high sample rates (the value goes proportionally smaller).
- Choosen language now saving.
- Ability to save current settings as "Default" preset parameters by button
"Save as Default".
* New parameters:
. "Sd.chain" - sidechain commutation:
. "Internal" - use inputs 1 and 2 (as usual)
. "External" - use external stereo sidechain (inputs 3 and 4)
. "A, R Time" - attack and release times multiplier:
. "1:1″ - use times specified (as usual)
. "1/10,1:1″ - attack time 10 times smaller
. "1:1,1/10″ - release time 10 times smaller
. "1/10″ - both attack time and release time 10 times smaller
. "Upsampl." - oversampling type selection
. "Easy" - use simplified oversampling (as usual)
. "Norm." - use linear-phase oversampling (latency 344 samples)
- Attack/release curves were reverted back to 0.2.155 version (see the post above)

NOTE: The plugin uses the same PLUGIN-ID as 0.2.168. You can safely update
old binary with this version.

Thanks to:

Dax Liniere http://www.puzzlefactory.com.au/
Fabien http://www.tokyodawn.net/

PS. Yes, I know this GUI for extended parameters doesn't look so good. It will be changed to more usable one in the next release.
Last edited by vladg on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”