ValhallaRoom 1.5.1 Released. New Electric Blue GUI

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaRoom

metalifuxx wrote:The Mooer ShimVerb pedal (room,spring,shimmer, in one pedal for under $100)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xNwS2JB ... ature=plcp
I only recently discovered these Mooer pedals online, wasn't sure if they were cheap knock offs or of any real value. All i know is I want all of them because they look so cool! And they seem to sound tres cool too. :D

So refreshing to see a demo vid where the guy just plays the pedal and doesn't spend 15 minutes just talking about it. And awesome tasty playing in the vid too. Dunno who that guy is, but he rocks! :tu:

Back on topic, Sir Sean, I've just checked my VSTPlugins folder (WinXp) and when i let my mouse cursor rest on the VRoom dll it doesn't mention the version number in the little pop up window. Right click >Properties also doesn't reveal a version number. Would it be possible to make the version number visible in these areas please? It would make checking if we have the latest version installed much easier. I hope you get what i mean from my description, but shout if any clarification is needed.
Cheers! :tu:

you can get the free plugin update program. It's pretty accurate and simplifies things somewhat.
http://pluginupdate.com/
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. I still hope Sean makes the version numbers visible on the actual dll too. I'm kinda old-school that way, you know, digging around in Explorer. :D

xalama qo wrote: So refreshing to see a demo vid where the guy just plays the pedal and doesn't spend 15 minutes just talking about it. And awesome tasty playing in the vid too. Dunno who that guy is, but he rocks! :tu:
Re: Prymaxe Vintage youtube channel
There is often the comment left saying "I came for the pedal, but stayed for the music". Yes, the guy Mike Hermes, is a very talented and tasteful player, and really knows how to demonstrate the various pedals of any effect type in a useful creative musical way. He has his own band/channel called "Pop Into The Chemist".

@metalifuxx, thanks for the info, i'll check his band out sometime. You can tell he's learned his theory and technique, but it's the musicality that shines brightest. The way it should be. I love technical players, but if you leave the feel behind or fail to groove, then it's just athletics, isn't it? :D

On the other hand, the first Strymon pedal vid posted in this thread is a perfect primer on reverbs in general. My retired dad plays around on Cakewalk Music Creator with his KLC KORG M1 I got him for Christmas. He's getting pretty good, cranking out covers of Cavatina (The Deer Hunter / Tony Hart and Morph theme)((if ya don't remember Tony Hart and Morph then you've really missed out on childhood :D))etc, BUT, I digress, I showed my dad the tc electronic M30 vst reverb and explained how you can put it on a send bus to help gel the various instruments together. It's a great demonstration reverb cos it has so few controls, and a 100% wet on/off button.

But I could have shown him the Strymon pedal demo vid, and he would have followed fairly easily, and gained a broader understanding of various types of reverb...spring, room, shimmer, etc. and what they all sound like.

So, sometimes more talking is good, but mostly we just want to hear the gear!
Props to both Strymon and Prymaxe for great demo vids :D

I also come to threads like these to hear people's audio plugin demos/examples, especially when its a great sounding creative type of effect like a reverb or delay.

Necrobump! I find myself in need of creating a room channel for a sampled drum kit, which was sent to me without the room mics, so it's pretty wimpy. What presets will work best for this? The song is prog metal.

Arglebargle wrote:Necrobump! I find myself in need of creating a room channel for a sampled drum kit, which was sent to me without the room mics, so it's pretty wimpy. What presets will work best for this? The song is prog metal.
I would start with Rooms->Gate Drum Room.

Sean Costello

Just wanna say I love VRoom too! Have all the paid Valhalla plugs, and they are so worth it!

Both instruments in this little duet here are using the same instance of VRoom using the Narcissus algo which for my taste worked best for the celtic harp, some automation for Depth/Decay Length at the end of the track:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/c ... -diversion

Sampleconstruct wrote:Both instruments in this little duet here are using the same instance of VRoom using the Narcissus algo which for my taste worked best for the celtic harp, some automation for Depth/Decay Length at the end of the track:

http://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/c ... -diversion
That sounds gorgeous, Simon. Thank you, once again, for the beautiful example!

It is interesting how many people like the Narcissus mode. This is the algorithm that is the least like the other ValhallaRoom modes. It is much simpler, and the internal structure is much closer to the older Lexicon algorithms than it is to, say, Large Room or Dark Chamber.

I'm preparing a new beta for ValhallaRoom OSX (Windows will follow). The changes:

- AAX 64-bit version, for PT11 users.
- Automation improvements, especially when changing presets
- Better filtering for the downsampling/upsampling. This fixes a bug that wasn't originally in the Dark algorithms, but was introduced accidentally by one of my changes.
- New reverb mode: Dense Room.

Dense Room is basically what it sounds like. Similar to the Large Room algorithm, but a different delay spread, for a denser early echo density. Dense Room is technically "dark," in that it is downsampled, but it doesn't sound dark. Bright delay interpolation and a different High Cut filter slope result in a very clean sounding reverb. The Late Cross works a little differently, and can get some "left/right" ping pong movement at the highest settings. This is pretty subtle in reality. The Low Mult filtering works in a similar way to the LV-426 algorithm, and allows for a deeper spatial feel with longer decay times.

So far, Dense Room sounds VERY NICE on drums. It has a good balance between modal density and echo density.

Someone asked "why no Aliens name for the new algorithm?" The answer is that Prometheus sucked.

Anyway, I still have some more work to do on creating optimized builds, adding AAX to the installer, that sort of thing. I should have the OSX beta out for testing early next week.

Sean Costello

Sean, don't hold present day Ridley's ineptitude against Ridley at the peak of his powers. I'm still waiting for a MU-TH-UR 6000 algorithm!

b15fliptop wrote:Sean, don't hold present day Ridley's ineptitude against Ridley at the peak of his powers. I'm still waiting for a MU-TH-UR 6000 algorithm!
Maybe someday. I'd have to add an "expansion slot" for ValhallaRoom. I put 12 algorithm slots into the plugin back in 2011, figuring I'd never fill all those. Today, they are all filled up, and I would need to add a separate "algorithm bank" parameter to increase the number of algorithms. Not sure if this would break existing DAW projects.

Ridley at the peak of his powers was awesome, but revisiting the Alien universe, and kinda botching it, was a mistake. The movie 1492 in no way invalidates the legacy of Alien, but Prometheus was bad enough to make me thing that Ridley Scott had a fundamental misunderstanding of his own creation, or that the most important parts of why Alien was amazing were the non-Ridley parts (i.e. Dan O'Bannon's script, Giger's designs, etc.).

Anyway, "Dense Room" is a good name for the new algorithm. It isn't as spacey as the Narcissus/Nostromo/LV-426 algorithms (Sulaco wasn't super spacey, either). The new algorithm sounds like a room with good echo density.

Sean Costello

Sean - typical solution for that would be (ta,da!) VR 2 with a new architecture removing limits designed into VR1 - and which will import VR1 presets ;-)

Return to “Effects”