DMGAudio Compassion (Launched)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DaveGamble wrote:3. A Compassion Mod player, and a Mod exchange, so you can have a standardised set of controls/meta controls, and just load mods to play; then you collect Mods and off you go :)
I'd very much like to see this happen. Right now I'm saving the Compassion "mods" as Reaper FX Presets, because I find the mod system difficult to use, as it doesn't show which controls were changed.

Earlier in this thread I made that sketch of a combined mod/preset browser which would show you this info. Might still be a bit convoluted to use but at least it gives you more control.

Also, to me the separate mod and preset browsers feels a bit "all over the place", if you know what I mean. I'd just rather have one focused way to load preset parameters, with having the control over what is loaded, as in the sketch.

What exactly do you mean by meta-controls btw? A set of knobs to which you can tie several values into, for example attack time and curvature? I played around with the VST Analyzer software by Christian Budde, looking at the ratio and attack curves of several compressors and then trying to recreate these in Compassion. I noticed that if I wanted to create a dynamic model, I'd have to have the ability to tie several parameters together, so maybe that would be something to consider in the future of Compassion? A mod matrix or something perhaps?

Dave,

Shouldn't you take a break on sunday? :hihi:

manducator wrote:Dave,

Shouldn't you take a break on sunday? :hihi:
Yes!
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

I am extremely interested in people's responses to these ideas.
a Mod exchange, so you can have a standardised set of controls/meta controls, and just load mods to play; then you collect Mods and off you go Smile
Rather than just a mod player - I think we need a mod exchange, using "normal" Compassion, where people can *explain* (it can just be a short list of parameters - doesn't have to be a complete essay) what they've done. Then others can alter these (ie "this works a little better on my drums...")

I think this would show some of us how to go off and get started. I'm all for poking around with different settings until they sound good - but there is another aspect - where you load some settings (a mod) and say "now *that* sounds cool!" "let me tweak that a little" "I wouldn't have thought to try that myself..."
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

DELETED

Hi,

first I want to mention this thread (with a link) because Dave ist contributing a lot of things there and it would be a pitty to miss that.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

My little wishes for Compassion would be:

Split Mode without latency.
The Limiter part should be usable frequency dependent, "within" Split Mode.
Split Mode EQ display with a simple analyser display for easier understanding
of the treated and untreated part.
All this to have compassion more as a color device per track (transients, limiter and softness without LP delay but frequency range dependent). This could be a possible way to shorten the waiting time for your first "color" device :wink:

The MOD UI could have page knobs 1-12 or Tabs for a direct selection of your next wanted page. (between the pop up selector and the back selector).
Each parameter could have a mini pop up description (at least threshold and ratio parameters for me :oops: ) with an understandable hint to existing famous Hardware models. This could help some brains out there to remember the important things faster and better.
A pop up window with this :shock: button that shows all Mod parameters at once.
I would like that! This with some color coding somewhere could possibly help to identify and include/exclude Mod parameters when switching presets. Fast and serious.

guppi wrote:
My little wishes for Compassion would be:

Split Mode without latency.
The Limiter part should be usable frequency dependent, "within" Split Mode.
Split Mode EQ display with a simple analyser display for easier understanding
of the treated and untreated part.
All this to have compassion more as a color device per track (transients, limiter and softness without LP delay but frequency range dependent). This could be a possible way to shorten the waiting time for your first "color" device :wink:
MMM, some interesting ideas here...

Whilst I bought compassion probably the day it came out because it sounded great,
I haven't used it in a year or years (can't remember how long ago it came out)

What I need is a compressor that is ez to use and sounds great....so I usually just use my UAD stuff or the K D8XX stuff, or UB*** stuff.... cause they all are just much easier to use, and sound great too. I need something to grab and go.
very much like what equick was to equality.

just my two cents.
rsp

zvenx wrote:Whilst I bought compassion probably the day it came out because it sounded great,
I haven't used it in a year or years (can't remember how long ago it came out)

What I need is a compressor that is ez to use and sounds great....so I usually just use my UAD stuff or the K D8XX stuff, or UB*** stuff.... cause they all are just much easier to use, and sound great too. I need something to grab and go.
very much like what equick was to equality.

just my two cents.
rsp
The same for me, that's why I ask for more presets/emulations of hardware. I always thought that it would be usable for me with presets, since COMPassion can probably emulate every existing compressor, but we never got the presets...

manducator wrote:but we never got the presets...
You probably already know this, but as a rule: you should never buy any software with an expectation as to what it may be or do in the future, but instead buy if for what it is in it's current state. Hoping to get more presets that do x, y, or z, is an example. Waiting for plugin formats that aren't currently being supported or may be under development is another. Buying now because of a promised new console type in a console sim, or a filter type in a filter sim: bad idea too. I think even most devs will tell you "buy it for what it is now." If you stick to that, it really cuts down on the chances of disappointment, or buying something that doesn't fill your needs.

I'll drop this here again, as the preset browser has been a topic of discussion. Here's my suggestion:

The tickboxes control which parameters get loaded, so you can cherry pick only some of the stuff you want even from a full preset.

The idea is to get rid of the separate preset/mod browsers and just handle everything in one browser.

Hi Eleventh

I loved your idea the first time round and think it's definitely the right solution. It not only combines the preset and mod system but allows you to see what is modified and gives you the freedom to load up just the bits you want.

Spot on! ;)

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

Hello Dave,

I'm loving Compassion for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it's one of the few 3rd party compressors available right now for PT11. Congrats on that accomplishment!

I work in Post Production, and I love the upward compression settings which allow a gentle boost in low-level dialog, while leaving the peaks largely untouched.

The only problem I'm having is that the depth control, which I assumed would limit the range of upward compression, seems only to limit the AMOUNT of upward compression. I would like, in essence, to be able to effect a range from say -30dB to -40dB and apply upward compression on that range only, with the assumption being that anything below -40dB is probably noise and I don't want to apply any gain.

Unless I'm missing a setting, the way it works now is that anything below my threshold has upward compression applied to it, limited to the amount of gain specified in the "depth" control. Is that correct?

Is there any way to apply a range for processing?

If not, is that something that could be considered for future upgrades?

Thanks a million for a wonderful product.

Chris Conlee
Last edited by conleec on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whaps the current update (if any) with Compact ?

Does anyone know if a dbx 160 mod is now included with or available for Compassion? I'm trying to collect the major compressors so I can play with and learn them, and it seems Compassion kills all birds with one stone (1176, LA-2A, SSL, Vari-mu) except for maybe the 160. I'm sure it's possible to make such a mod; I'm just not sure how to do it.

I'm picking up Compassion early next week, and may get Major Tom as well if I can't get a 160 out of Compassion without much trouble. I'm getting the bundle, as EQuilibrium is saving me from buying a few EQs as well. These two plugs are simply amazing. They're expensive, but they are saving me money and may resolve my EQ and Compressor GAS for quite some time.

Thanks!
- Wes
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

Return to “Effects”