DMGAudio Compassion (Launched)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Eleventh wrote:So, any news about this great plugin? I've been trying it out for a couple of days now and I really like it so far. Especially the split-band compression and expansion are great tools to have!
Ace!
There really seems to be a lot of depth in the plugin and I've already spent several hours tweaking sounds with the help of the manual. Still, there are some things that could be explained a bit more carefully. For example the Release Type parameter should more clearly state that it scales between releasing to signal or to zero, so that I wouldn't have to refer to the manual every time I happen to forget it (which still happens quite often with so many different parameters).
There was talk of adding tooltips.
The "VCA Smoothing" remains very mysterious too.
It's a low-pass filter on the gain reduction signal.
This is what you'd get from a slow-reacting gain-change element.
I would also like to have more information about the transient shaper circuit. The attack control seems pretty straight-forward with the length determining the duration of the affected attack, but I'm not really getting the hang of the Env Follower and Sustain Env, and particularly the interaction between the two.
Hopefully my last post helps a little?
Also I saw somebody asking about the auto-release times and their relation to actual optical compression, where the length of the release is not only dependant on the intensity but also the duration the light has been lit.
VCA smoothing is the dominant parameter for emulating optical compression, in practice, but the auto-release circuit does indeed model the behaviour you describe. The longer you're in release, the longer the release time lasts for... but in an optical circuit, that stuff is in the order of microseconds, and the actual release circuitry supervenes entirely.
(assuming here we're talking about LA2 type circuitry)
Does Compassion model that "after-glow" effect too? I'm curious about the Main-EQ filtering (72hz HPF) in the "Classic Opto" preset too.
The classic opto preset is a "vibe" preset; so it's not precision configured, but for that kind of slow, post-filtered compression, a little loss at the bottom-end fitted the character. Feel free to calibrate - the presets are not canonical ;)

Oh and another thing: I find the preset loader hard to use, because it always defaults to the Desktop directory and navigating to Compassion's folder is very time consuming. And when I load a preset list, for example bmaniac's mastering presets, it overrides the default ones, so I can't really use it like that. The mod system works well with clearly labeled subdirectories though. There should be the same kind of subcategory system in the preset list where you could just add presets at will. Or perhaps just combine the two to reduce complexity.
You can; I think this is in the manual... :o
If you go to the Mods folder you can just drop some presets in there, and it'll expand them into a folder, as if by magic.
Btw, how's the preset sharing thing coming along? One would think that with a quality plugin like this there would be more buzz and presets floating around, but I can't find much of anything. It seems very underrated, but maybe most of the people just don't like detailed tweaking that much.
Krzysz?

I'll definitely be buying this one in the near future along with EQuick (awesome functional GUI, unlike EQuality). :D

Oh, and merry christmas to you all!
Hehe. And to you!

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

Eleventh wrote:I saw people earlier in this thread getting a little confused with the preset/mod browser and it happened to me too when I first started demoing the plugin. I came up with an idea to alleviate this problem, what do you guys think:
I like it. Have slated it for the feature list.

Dave.

33tetragammon wrote:DAVE.....HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave?!?!?!?!?

:cry:
All is ok :)

Dave.

He's back! Hooray!

Dave, I'm gonna send you another email with ideas about Compassion and Equick soon. Meanwhile I'd really like to buy the plugins, so could you check out my student license request please? :)

Oh, and please say that the new EQ has a GUI mode like EQuick, without the unnecessary clutter of buttons etc... :wink:

Eleventh wrote:He's back! Hooray!

Dave, I'm gonna send you another email with ideas about Compassion and Equick soon. Meanwhile I'd really like to buy the plugins, so could you check out my student license request please? :)

Oh, and please say that the new EQ has a GUI mode like EQuick, without the unnecessary clutter of buttons etc... :wink:
There's a new EQ coming? Any timescale?
"What embecile composed this list :/"

I'll investigate, but if you could re-send to contact@ that would be awesome.
But of course!

Dave.

re_mute wrote:

There's a new EQ coming? Any timescale?
Hoping to get it to beta within a week or two. A month of beta is customary, so, 6-8weeks?

Edit: I might take my time on this one, and hence overshoot hugely. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I should start a thread?

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I sent the application again. And a thread about the new EQ would be nice, maybe with a few teaesers :wink:

DaveGamble wrote: Edit: I might take my time on this one, and hence overshoot hugely. I'll keep you posted. Maybe I should start a thread?

Dave.
Yup, get the word out and hype going. I've been on the fence about getting Equick, might just be worth waiting to check this one out...
"What embecile composed this list :/"

Take you time and do it right man.

Belated Thanks for the expanded transient designer explanation Dave. Just for the record, I did indeed read this part of the manual several times before asking about this. I think you've cleared up the relationships between the controls nicely. Getting some 'expected' results now :) Good luck with your new bun in the oven ;)

Hello Dave,

I just purchased Compassion used from user Alan Platten. Can't wait to get the license transferred.

I was primarily interested in Compassion for the upward compression. My audio work is strictly post production related, and the upward compression is wonderful for boosting low-level dialog without killing my peaks.

I noticed while using the demo that upward compression only works when the "Curve Law" is something other than zero. Just out of curiosity, can you explain this? The closer I get to 100%, the more upward compression occurs. The closer I get to zero, the less upward compression happens. There are so many parameters to tweak, I'm just trying to get my head around it all.

BTW, I'm also a huge fan of your Equality EQ, which I bought new a couple weeks ago. Looking forward to hearing your new EQ offering.

Chris Conlee

I just purchased a Compassion license from a user here on Tuesday as well. Does anyone know how long transfers usually take?
You are currently reading my signature.

The person I purchased from has sent payment and an email to Dave Gamble, and I have also sent an email. Neither the seller nor myself have heard back to the best of my knowledge. I suspect Dave is slammed, coding his new EQ plugin, so I'm gonna give it a couple more days before I get too bent out of shape. Hopefully tomorrow something will happen.

Chris

Yea, I sent an email as well.
You are currently reading my signature.

Return to “Effects”