Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

is it just me, or is The Drop's {so very precious} GUI inspired by the Schippmann Ebbe und Flut ?

^ well, they're both black.

And they have knobs. Quick! Call the copyright police!

I should probably have realised that fanatics might take this as criticism.
Don't worry about it kids, I still think The Drop is the number 1 tops!

ChiTown24 wrote:I should probably have realised that fanatics might take this as criticism.
Fanatics? For replying that I didn't see any resemblance? Odd.

andy_cytomic wrote: I'm still trying to track down a random bug a few people are reporting to do with processing being bypassed inte ittently in certain hosts. This is a deal-breaker so I really want to get it sorted. At this stage I've not been able to reproduce it on my machine which is really annoying. If anyone has a set of repeatable steps that they can get processing of the plugin to bypass please let me know, that way I'll be able to reproduce it at my end and fix the problem...
Certain hosts?
Are you able to narrow down the hosts and OS? I will do my best to reproduce it. I tend to attract bugs, so you never know...? :P

Cheers for the news! Good luck!
God speed little red fire engine!

samsam wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:I should probably have realised that fanatics might take this as criticism.
Fanatics? For replying that I didn't see any resemblance? Odd.
Actually it's more a disclaimer against future posts, rather than a reaction to your post. After the sarcastic reference to the copyright police my spidey senses just told me I better make a disclaimer to appease the fanatics who have yet to witness my heresy :) Right or wrong, my observation is not intended as criticism. Just sayin' - as they say.

Btw, since you don't see any resemblance, I take it you're colour blind ? Curious, does being colour blind usually get in the way of you doing things when you're using DAWs etc ?

^ you mean they're not both black? Shit, my eyesights getting worse.

samsam wrote:^ you mean they're not both black? Shit, my eyesights getting worse.
if all you're seeing is black.. then yes, it definitely is!

ChiTown24 wrote:After the sarcastic reference to the copyright police....
Sarcastic?

You should totally call the copyright police.

And while you're at it, tell them about the overuse of the colours lime and puce in these filtering products.

wouldn't it be amusing if I was actually right, oh how we'd all coalesce in one big howling mass of laughter!

ChiTown24 wrote:wouldn't it be amusing if I was actually right, oh how we'd all coalesce in one big howling mass of laughter!
:)

ChiTown24 wrote:is it just me, or is The Drop's {so very precious} GUI inspired by the Schippmann Ebbe und Flut ?

I love the Ebbe und Flut and had a great chat with it's developer at Musik Messe a while ago when it was first launched. I definitely took inspiration from it but only from a general operational point of view, but in terms of look and feel I only really liked the markings around the knobs. The colour scheme is pure coincidence since yellow highlights and a dark background are standard Cytomic colours, just have a look at The Glue. I also don't think that the filter response selector should be the dominant knob on the device, but I understand that listing all the modes takes space without a screen, but virtual screens aren't too expensive. The full list of devices I took inspiration from are:

* Korg MS20 mk1 mk2 (high pass into low pass fixed routing, and filter circuit)
* Moog Prodigy (filter circuit)
* Roland SH-9 (filter circuit)
* Ebbe und Flut (general features and ring markings around knobs)
* Vermona Action Filter 2 (big silver knobs)
* NI Maschine controller (rubber backlit pads and buttons)
* Nord Lead 3 (option selectors)

There is probably more by way of subtle influence from other kit moderated by a strong dose of what I think worked best, and also influenced by what is possible with current cpus.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Ok I'm ready for that SH cascade filter now. I'll have it right now. Thanks

andy_cytomic wrote:
ChiTown24 wrote:is it just me, or is The Drop's {so very precious} GUI inspired by the Schippmann Ebbe und Flut ?

I love the Ebbe und Flut and had a great chat with it's developer at Musik Messe a while ago when it was first launched. I definitely took inspiration from it but only from a general operational point of view, but in terms of look and feel I only really liked the markings around the knobs. The colour scheme is pure coincidence since yellow highlights and a dark background are standard Cytomic colours, just have a look at The Glue. I also don't think that the filter response selector should be the dominant knob on the device, but I understand that listing all the modes takes space without a screen, but virtual screens aren't too expensive. The full list of devices I took inspiration from are:

* Korg MS20 mk1 mk2 (high pass into low pass fixed routing, and filter circuit)
* Moog Prodigy (filter circuit)
* Roland SH-9 (filter circuit)
* Ebbe und Flut (general features and ring markings around knobs)
* Vermona Action Filter 2 (big silver knobs)
* NI Maschine controller (rubber backlit pads and buttons)
* Nord Lead 3 (option selectors)

There is probably more by way of subtle influence from other kit moderated by a strong dose of what I think worked best, and also influenced by what is possible with current cpus.
Nice one Andy, tasteful inspiration list right there
The EuF similarity occurred to me when I picked one up for half-price lately :D :D
routing should be interesting... { mo analogue filters, mo problems :D }

Return to “Effects”