Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

V0RT3X wrote:I can't wait to try this out. Will it have Multi-core support?
Every intensive DSP part of The Drop is already computed in parallel using SSE2, only multiple instances of The Drop could benefit from being computed on different cores, and sorting that out is the job of your host.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Is oversampling needed if my project is at 96kHz?

Frantz wrote:Is oversampling needed if my project is at 96kHz?
Yes, according to Andy's post on the last page.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Frantz wrote:Is oversampling needed if my project is at 96kHz?
If you are at 96 kHz and then your audio should already sound good, but if you have self oscillating resonance, large amounts of drive on high frequency content then you will still want to oversample on render.

If you select x2 and your project is already 96 kHz then no oversampling is done as 96 kHz is already x2 of the base rate of 44.1 / 48, so selecting this amount for both realtime and render will do nothing, so it doesn't hurt to always have it set. If you select a higher amount of oversampling for render then even the "off" mode will have to introduce latency since most hosts can't handle dynamic updating of latency on render. All this information is shown in the oversampling menu, which I've also updated to make a little clearer on the new version.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Andy, even at static setting Drop seem to be adding some so to speak "life" or "movement" to audio. I really think it sets it aside from regular filters or EQs. I wonder can you try to add some of this quality to Glue, which is really great but doesn't seem to have this quality?

https://soundcloud.com/voratix/tdda

Best listened to on headphones!

I rendered this ambient clip at the highest internal oversampling rate running it at 48khz. All filtering is done with just one instance of The drop (v0.9.18) with some elements using DAW automation. I used a pre-rendered .aiff drone i created using pitchshifting and other stuff and then ran it through the drop.

(Actual screenshot of the settings)

-> The wet/dry Knob was set to 0 in the beginning but is automated throughout the track.
-> The LFO rate and multi are both automated throughout the track.
-> The LFO Curve slowly rises via automation from start to finish in the track.

The two filters types were Cascade for the HPF and Sallen Key for the LPF

This clip is not really a musical clip, but more of a technical showcasing of how good the filtering aspect of The Drop actually is.

I love how clean the lows can get with this filter.. I can't wait until the full version is released..

I rendered the track @48khz with a dither going from 32bit to 24bit using the Triangle dither in Live 9. That clip took about 13 minutes to render but I wanted to really push the drop and hear how it sounds on it's highest quality settings.

Feel free to D/L the original 24bit 48khz recording to here it properly for yourself since SC is kind of lame.

Note: I was going to use the glue on the master channel, but i figured I would leave it clean so you hear just the direct output of The Drop doing all it's beautiful subtle things.
:borg:

Just taken the plunge and purchased The Drop. Been trying the beta for a while and really liking what it does.
I look forward to the official release :)

Armadillosound wrote:Just taken the plunge and purchased The Drop. Been trying the beta for a while and really liking what it does.
I look forward to the official release :)
You made the right choice :tu:
:borg:

meloco_go wrote:Andy, even at static setting Drop seem to be adding some so to speak "life" or "movement" to audio. I really think it sets it aside from regular filters or EQs. I wonder can you try to add some of this quality to Glue, which is really great but doesn't seem to have this quality?
I am going to add a knob to adjust stereo to dual mono in The Glue. I will be looking into more detailed models in the future, but I can't promise anything for The Glue. It is a large commitment to re-obtain the analog hardware and go back through the entire modelling process again. Anything that easier to do than that would just amount to running running The Drop prior to The Glue, which you can already do.

andy-cytomic wrote:
meloco_go wrote:Andy, even at static setting Drop seem to be adding some so to speak "life" or "movement" to audio. I really think it sets it aside from regular filters or EQs. I wonder can you try to add some of this quality to Glue, which is really great but doesn't seem to have this quality?
I am going to add a knob to adjust stereo to dual mono in The Glue. I will be looking into more detailed models in the future, but I can't promise anything for The Glue. It is a large commitment to re-obtain the analog hardware and go back through the entire modelling process again. Anything that easier to do than that would just amount to running running The Drop prior to The Glue, which you can already do.
Thanks!
I wonder, maybe you could start a Kickstarter campaign? I would gladly take part in something like that!
I used Glue since 2009 and I'm sure at least one instance was used on every project I did since that. So I will gladly spend some money if you would do something like The Glue II using all the knowledge you accumulated since then.

I'm sure The Glue could be improved upon, but honestly, I'd rather see Andy work on new stuff. He's already mentioned doing an the-end-all-be-all 1176 emulation, and a synth based on The Drop, both of which are a lot more exciting to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got other stuff planned he's not even hinted at yet.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I'm sure The Glue could be improved upon, but honestly, I'd rather see Andy work on new stuff. He's already mentioned doing an the-end-all-be-all 1176 emulation, and a synth based on The Drop, both of which are a lot more exciting to me. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got other stuff planned he's not even hinted at yet.
Yeah, that's for sure.
But my point was, if he is planning to look into Glue for adding features, maybe he would find how he could apply what he learned doing Drop. If funds are the problem, fundraising content would be solution.
As for other stuff, Compex would really cool!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:a synth based on The Drop
This would be huge news if and when it is announced.

Frantz wrote:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:a synth based on The Drop
This would be huge news if and when it is announced.
In it's current state, it's already most of the way there. With the fun new modulation options Andy has added since, it's probably even closer. From what I recall, the LFO's in the drops are already oscillators, they just aren't wired to produce audio.

So sticking 3 Osc's in front of The Drop with a few extra doodads for good measure would probably be a relatively small amount of work for Andy once The Drop is done. Then he gets to re-use a lot of prior work and make a second commercial plugin out of it. In 1990's America we'd say, "Mo money, mo money, mo money!"

Return to “Effects”