Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

I can't get cable guys midi shaper to work that way I want in LIve, I'll have to try it again, see if something has changed.

dw

Any updates on how things are?

meloco_go wrote:Any updates on how things are?
Keeping beedy eyes on this thread for news :) Hoping now Live9's TheGlue is released time is freed up to Drop .

aMUSEd wrote:Is this going to have any lfos, S&H etc for more complex sounds? It's a nice sounding filter but at the moment I'm not sure what I would use it for musically.
There is one LFO, there won't be more added. The LFO already supports two types of S&H, completely random and stabbing random, but this isn't basic square wave steps here, you can have any shape you want. The "Lfo Rand" knob determines how much sample and hold you get, this random amount alters either both endpoint heights, or just every second one for stabbed random sounds. Please have a play with the all the knobs on the LFO and you will see just how much fun it is and how much variation you can get. You can do any further modulation with automation via the Offset knob or the main cutoff knobs, or for further audio rate modulation you can use the external sidechain FM input. The idea here is to give people enough modulation to get going without overwhelming them, and to allow more advanced arbitrary modulation via external sources.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

V0RT3X wrote: I was thinking of trying out The Cable Guys Midi Shaper with The Drop. Has anyone gave that combo a go yet?
I recommend looking into the Silent Way plugin by Expert Sleepers since it supports audio rate output with 32-bit float precision. Using audio ensures sample accurate automation and allows for audio rate updates, using midi you only get 14-bit at best, but usually 7-bit, and the update rate is much lower and you may have offset problems where midi messages are received a buffer later than expected depending on which host you use.

For slow modulations that you don't need to be very precise then a tool like Midi Shaper is great for automation of adding variation. I will add midi learn to The Drop, and once that is done you will be able to use tools like Midi Shaper, but currently there is only note on / off support in The Drop.

Yep, I'm half way through building an IR3109 based "SH" low pass filter on a breadboard, which then I'll model and add to The Drop, both in low pass and high pass configuration.

I got sidetracked half way because I investigated some alternative algorithms to ensure more robust and lower cpu solutions to the difficult non-linear equations and can now report some excellent news.

CPU cuts across the board:
[*] Sallen Key now takes 30% less cpu, for me it was around 2.75% per 2 pole stereo filter and is now 1.75%
[*] Sallen Key MS2 now takes 15% less cpu in general, but if at 44.1 / 48 khz without oversampling it is a whopping 50% less cpu!

Some more good news as well. I wasn't particularly impressed with the SEM-1A SVF when I listened to it, so I decided to not have an SVF model in The Drop, but I have since found the schematic for the OSCar SVF, which looks like a more interesting beast. I'm going to build one and have a listen, and if it sounds good model that filter as well.

I'll release an update to The Drop soon with the new optimisations, and also a few but fixes.

andy_cytomic wrote:
I wasn't particularly impressed with the SEM-1A SVF when I listened to it, so I decided to not have an SVF model in The Drop...
Bummer
andy_cytomic wrote:
...but I have since found the schematic for the OSCar SVF
SMOOTH recovery!! WOW!
THAT would be a-WE-Some!!!

andy_cytomic wrote:
Yep, I'm half way through building an IR3109 based "SH" low pass filter on a breadboard, which then I'll model and add to The Drop, both in low pass and high pass configuration.

I got sidetracked half way because I investigated some alternative algorithms to ensure more robust and lower cpu solutions to the difficult non-linear equations and can now report some excellent news.

[*] Sallen Key now takes 30% less cpu, for me it was around 2.75% per 2 pole stereo filter and is now 1.75%
[*] Sallen Key MS2 now takes 15% less cpu in general, but if at 44.1 / 48 khz without oversampling it is a whopping 50% less cpu!

Some more good news as well. I wasn't particularly impressed with the SEM-1A SVF when I listened to it, so I decided to not have an SVF model in The Drop, but I have since found the schematic for the OSCar SVF, which looks like a more interesting beast. I'm going to build one and have a listen, and if it sounds good model that filter as well.

I'll release an update to The Drop soon with the new optimisations, and also a few but fixes.
:love:

andy_cytomic wrote: I got sidetracked half way because I investigated some alternative algorithms to ensure more robust and lower cpu solutions to the difficult non-linear equations and can now report some excellent news.

:party: :band: :band2: :band2: :band2: :band2: :tu:

:wheee: • G R E A T N E W S • :wheee:

Thanks for the progress report. Sounds wonderful - the performance optimizations are very welcome indeed! :tu:

Diggin' for the next update too :)

Just pulled the trigger and bought this. I can't forget how freakin' awesome it was when I demoed it. Everything I put it on just turned into a golden nugget of radness. Very excited to get using this plugin again.

Even just using it on a Mtron String patch to filter into a chorus it is so damn sexy! And it can mutate beats so well.
ableton 9.0.5 x32, FL11, Qosmio F750, Motu Microbook,Win 7 x64
Soundcloud

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BUMP!

Progress report Andy? Pwetty pweeze?

sqigls wrote:aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH BUMP!

Progress report Andy? Pwetty pweeze?
I'm still trying to track down a random bug a few people are reporting to do with processing being bypassed intermittently in certain hosts. This is a deal-breaker so I really want to get it sorted. At this stage I've not been able to reproduce it on my machine which is really annoying. If anyone has a set of repeatable steps that they can get processing of the plugin to bypass please let me know, that way I'll be able to reproduce it at my end and fix the problem.

With the help of a customer we tracked down the other bug, which is the gui not opening. This happens on mac if you add and open the vst plugin version gui, then close it and delete the plugin, then add and open the au plugin version gui. It's a bug in the Juce framework that just recently been fixed, and only impacts hosts that support both vst and au on mac.

Once I've got the bug fixed I'll release the update with the optimisations for the Sallen Key and Sallen Key MS2 filters, and then I'm back to implementing the Cascade SH.

andy_cytomic wrote:With the help of a customer we tracked down the other bug, which is the gui not opening. This happens on mac if you add and open the vst plugin version gui, then close it and delete the plugin, then add and open the au plugin version gui. It's a bug in the Juce framework that just recently been fixed, and only impacts hosts that support both vst and au on mac.
That's a Cocoa namespace collision. If you know the symbol name of the class that derives from NSView, you can fix it quickly. Just search the binary for the string and replace it with a unique string before you sign the binaries. Works very well over here :)

Drawback: You can't deliver signed binaries and just copy them from within the installer. At the moment binaries other than AAX don't need to be signed, so maybe it isn't a problem and you can let the installer patch the binaries (or hope that the signature file is still valid for a patch done elsewhere).

Urs wrote:
andy_cytomic wrote:With the help of a customer we tracked down the other bug, which is the gui not opening. This happens on mac if you add and open the vst plugin version gui, then close it and delete the plugin, then add and open the au plugin version gui. It's a bug in the Juce framework that just recently been fixed, and only impacts hosts that support both vst and au on mac.
That's a Cocoa namespace collision. If you know the symbol name of the class that derives from NSView, you can fix it quickly. Just search the binary for the string and replace it with a unique string before you sign the binaries. Works very well over here :)

Drawback: You can't deliver signed binaries and just copy them from within the installer. At the moment binaries other than AAX don't need to be signed, so maybe it isn't a problem and you can let the installer patch the binaries (or hope that the signature file is still valid for a patch done elsewhere).
Warning, Dev talk please ignore!

Well Jules already fixed it previously by using a string constant at compile time which I then searched and replaced for to make the au from the vst, but there must have been some parts objects that missed out on being namespaced like this so there is still a problem. His new method to workaround global namespacing is to completely randomise the strings at run time, so there is now no need to have the fixed strings and do the search and replace hack - very tidy! I just need to update to the latest version of Juce to get this addition, which is going to be very handy in handling signed binaries in the future.

Return to “Effects”