VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Any second now ...

Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote:Any second now ...
Feels like a yottasecond...be nice to have a guess-ta-mit :)

I really want to get my dirty little mitts on this :)

V0RT3X wrote:When will the Drop.. actually drop?

:hihi:
Things are going very well but I'll wait until there are only final set of tasks like packaging up the build and updating the manual before I make an announcement. The DSP code (ie stuff you actually hear) is now feature complete in my current build and here are some task lists to let you know what is going on.

Product specific tasks for The Drop completed in the last month:
  • Bypass processing on silence (-110 dB peak)
  • Crossfade LP / HP power buttons
  • Legato mode for triggering and glide
  • Glide for key track on/off button
  • Optimised envelope using parallel circuit solver
  • Audio to trigger detector
  • Setting of denormal flush to zero flag
  • Updated all filters to handle large drive with less aliasing
  • Warm up filters for de-clicking
  • Optimised all filter models to pre-compute all loop invariant constants
  • Optimise LFO1 for parallel computation
  • Only compute modulation if needed
  • Visualiser for LFO1
  • Visualiser for LFO2
  • Step sequencer for LFO2
  • Glide 1 pole and dynamic 2 pole algorithms
  • Level control of LFO1, LFO2, and FM
  • One shot mode for LFO2
  • Adjustable sensitivity for Midi input to envelopes
  • Invented and added new filter model SallenK SMP both LP and HP
  • Test all filter models with huge input, huge resonance and huge modulation with and without oversampling
  • a bunch more stuff that I can't remember / didn't keep track of that will make the product better
The remaining product specific tasks for The Drop are:
  • Visualiser for Envelopes
  • Visualiser for FM
Then there are a bunch of tasks like doing a windows build, finishing off the new copy protection system, doing presets, updating the manual, updating to the latest version of Juce for better compatibility, but it is all downhill from now.

The Drop is sounding stupendously good and I want to thank everyone for hanging in there for so long, the end is in sight.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:When will the Drop.. actually drop?

:hihi:
Things are going very well but I'll wait until there are only final set of tasks like packaging up the build and updating the manual before I make an announcement. The DSP code (ie stuff you actually hear) is now feature complete in my current build and here are some task lists to let you know what is going on.

Product specific tasks for The Drop completed in the last month:
  • Bypass processing on silence (-110 dB peak)
  • Crossfade LP / HP power buttons
  • Legato mode for triggering and glide
  • Glide for key track on/off button
  • Optimised envelope using parallel circuit solver
  • Audio to trigger detector
  • Setting of denormal flush to zero flag
  • Updated all filters to handle large drive with less aliasing
  • Warm up filters for de-clicking
  • Optimised all filter models to pre-compute all loop invariant constants
  • Optimise LFO1 for parallel computation
  • Only compute modulation if needed
  • Visualiser for LFO1
  • Visualiser for LFO2
  • Step sequencer for LFO2
  • Glide 1 pole and dynamic 2 pole algorithms
  • Level control of LFO1, LFO2, and FM
  • One shot mode for LFO2
  • Adjustable sensitivity for Midi input to envelopes
  • Invented and added new filter model SallenK SMP both LP and HP
  • Test all filter models with huge input, huge resonance and huge modulation with and without oversampling
  • a bunch more stuff that I can't remember / didn't keep track of that will make the product better
The remaining product specific tasks for The Drop are:
  • Visualiser for Envelopes
  • Visualiser for FM
Then there are a bunch of tasks like doing a windows build, finishing off the new copy protection system, doing presets, updating the manual, updating to the latest version of Juce for better compatibility, but it is all downhill from now.

The Drop is sounding stupendously good and I want to thank everyone for hanging in there for so long, the end is in sight.
So release is tomorrow???

Nahh just kidding, it sounds good and I can't wait to get my hands on the final product. Keep up the good work!
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

How about another Beta before you do all those extra things you mention Andy?

I want it. I want it now. I'm ready for this. I deserve this. I asked the universe to give this to me and it shall provide, as I am a good soul, placed on this earth to do good.

Andy,

Can you please built a fast light weight DAW with your craft!?

If you Kickstart the funding then I'll happily pledge, I'm sure others would feel the same way

:)

he is slower than bitwig :hug:

Colonel Flashback wrote:he is slower than bitwig :hug:
Not possible!
Also Bitwig is still unfinished and buggy
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Hey Andy,

Demoed your product and it's great! I want to get it when I get home Sunday. One question, does the beta get a free upgrade to version one? If not, how much?

Thanks!

LimboLoves wrote:Hey Andy,

Demoed your product and it's great! I want to get it when I get home Sunday. One question, does the beta get a free upgrade to version one? If not, how much?

Thanks!
Free
Bitwig Certified Trainer

So does oversampling make a huge difference with this plugin? What settings are you guys finding to be the best sounding vs practical CPU usage? When can you stop hearing a difference?

As we can only hear up to 20Khz at best, I wondered why oversampling makes such a difference. I know aliasing is a factor, but once you're over 2x oversampling(88.2Khz) surely this shouldn't be a problem?

Simulant wrote:So does oversampling make a huge difference with this plugin? What settings are you guys finding to be the best sounding vs practical CPU usage? When can you stop hearing a difference?

As we can only hear up to 20Khz at best, I wondered why oversampling makes such a difference. I know aliasing is a factor, but once you're over 2x oversampling(88.2Khz) surely this shouldn't be a problem?
The recommend settings of x2 for realtime and x8 for render and that should cover you for most situations. If the resonance is not self oscillating, and the drive is low to medium and the input signal doesn't have high frequency content then no oversampling is required.

Oversampling is about two things, headroom to avoid aliasing, and headroom to avoid warping. 88.2 kHz (44.1 x2) gives some headroom for aliasing and avoids frequency warping (which I won't go into here), so that should be used for high quality audio production. Some processes include non-linearities which produce a harmonic series, and these harmonics fall off as they go higher, but if the harmonic series starts at 10 khz then there is no room for the harmonics to be properly represented unless the sample rate is high, so even higher sample rates are needed for highly non-linear processes.

In the picture you can see a harmonic series at 1 khz, which has harmonics at 2, 3, 4, ... khz. If you move this up to have the fundamental at 10 khz, then you have harmonics at 20, 30, 40, ... khz, so only the first one of 20 khz is still under 1/2 the sample rate of 44.1 khz, the rest will alias. Even x2 is not enough to reduce the aliasing to inaudible levels, around x8 is needed to reduce the aliasing to around -96 dB, which is inaudible for all practical purposes.

Last edited by andy-cytomic on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

duplicate post removed

KnickersDown wrote:How about another Beta before you do all those extra things you mention Andy?

I want it. I want it now. I'm ready for this. I deserve this. I asked the universe to give this to me and it shall provide, as I am a good soul, placed on this earth to do good.
I am part way through finishing the new copy protection system, so until that is done I can't do a beta release. I've finished the last two visualisers, so the product specific DSP work for The Drop is complete, the rest of the work is shared framework stuff like copy protection, doing a windows build of the updated framework, and other things needed in the rundown to a v1.x beta of The Drop.

I can't wait to try this out. Will it have Multi-core support?
:borg:

Return to “Effects”