Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

SKnote do some top notch EQ and compression but affordable plugins that are modelled
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:SKnote do some top notch EQ and compression but affordable plugins that are modelled
And just like that, we slip off piste again...

JM
------------
https://soundcloud.com/leftside-wobble

Ok, my very last off topic comment, i promise! :)
is it possible that Nebula is doing something else that just an emulation ?
If any developer is interested in how nebula works, and that maybe the key to why it sounds so much better for EQ than anything else, this post by the coder goes into some detail as to what is different in the way that it processes audio:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/phpBB3/vi ... dio#p13879
Here the first fact: Nebula processes BLOCKS of samples. It doesn't process blocks just because the patent on focusrite products, or because computers are still slow. It processes blocks because it tries to be ACCURATE on sound,on both the frequency and harmonic content
I don't understand what he is talking about, but maybe someone else might get something from it.

Hey Andy, on the black box modelling tip (sorry for further derailment!) have you looked at the Kemper Profiling Amp? It seems to use a similar approach to Nebula in its modelling approach. It sounds pretty convincing to me anyway.

-Drew

The Drop v0.9.7 is ready for download, both full and trial version. The new trial version will give people another two weeks of use. Of most interest to those worried about cpu usage is the Sallen Key model which on my machine takes around 2.5% cpu for a 2 pole filter, where the Sallen Key MS2 takes 6.5%.

The Drop v0.9.7
* New: Sallen Key circuit model added, which has less detail and but also uses less cpu than the MS2 version.
* Fixed: The Lfo Rate now shows note values when in Sync mode
* Fixed: Input clipping is now a more useful shape so it passes audio cleanly when not driven
* Fixed: Env2 now works with Audio SC as source
* Fixed: Buzzing when switched off using the "Cytom" power button with oversampling at x2.
* Fixed: All modulation of the filter cutoff Spacing control is now mono only, using the left modulation signal as the source.
* Fixed: LFO modulation of amplitude can now be used for panning effects with the LFO Spacing control
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy_cytomic wrote:Of most interest to those worried about cpu usage is the Sallen Key model which on my machine takes around 2.5% cpu for a 2 pole filter, where the Sallen Key MS2 takes 6.5%.
Just tested and can confirm the the new Sallen Key model is indeed more efficient on my configuration too (OS X 10.7.4 3.4Ghz i7). And dare I say it, in many ways I prefer it to the MS2 model. It's seems to cut through the mix more easily than the MS2. Love both models though.

One bug I have noticed now though is that you get a loud click when engaging the MS2 model or when loading a saved preset where MS2 is the preferred model.

JM
------------

metrosonic wrote: Just tested and can confirm the the new Sallen Key model is indeed more efficient on my configuration too (OS X 10.7.4 3.4Ghz i7). And dare I say it, in many ways I prefer it to the MS2 model. It's seems to cut through the mix more easily than the MS2. Love both models though.
Thanks for the feedback! The plain Sallen Key still has loads of tone, but it's a little cleaner than the full MS2 model, so it is actually useful in certain applications, and taking less cpu can be handy as well.
metrosonic wrote:One bug I have noticed now though is that you get a loud click when engaging the MS2 model or when loading a saved preset where MS2 is the preferred model.
This is a known issue (4th one in the list) and exactly what you get with the actual hardware when you power it on, here is the full list of known issues from the web page:

Known issues / Features missing of the Beta
* Currently only the Sallen Key, and Sallen Key MS2 (based on the Korg MS20 mk2) are ready. Other other circuit models to be added are Sallen Key MS1 (based on the Korg MS20 mk1), Ladder, Ladder PR (based on the Moog Prodigy), Cascade, and Cascade SH (based on the Roland SH series synths)
* No Led indicators showing the Lfo, Env1, and Env2 levels
* The Lfo Rate knob still shows Hz values when Sync is enabled instead of showing the quantized note amounts
* The filter clicks when powered on, just like the real one - I need to add code to warm up the filter so this doesn't happen
* Possible clicks when toggling LpActive and HpActive buttons, this will be smoothed
* Glide not operational
* No storing of overlapped midi notes, only new note ons will trigger and track
* Envelope Trig mode not yet implemented for audio sources, it currently just uses Gate mode all the time which is a regular envelope follower circuit
* Sens knob on envelopes only currently works with Audio input, not MIDI
* Entire plugin needs more optimisations
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

Having just downloaded the latest beta build I though I'd test out 'The Drop' as a synth filter.

For this I used the standard AAS Analog synth in Ableton Live but switched it's filters off and only used it's Oscillators to generate a detuned square wave timbre that was then fed into 'The Drop' for filtering. The first few bars are unmodulated, showing off the great tone you can achieve with 'The Drop' and then I go through some standard filter mods to show the movement.

To my ears it's really convincing and I don't think there are many soft synths that could match it's tone. Just love the way the resonance reacts when you push to it around 75%, way below self-resonating but still with acres of character.

The following links to a stream by the way so you don't have to download the file (my dropbox isn't playing ball today to embed the steam).

http://www.divshare.com/download/20805048-da6

JM
------------

@Andy Oh my f***ing god...thank you, amazing...and still 2 more to come.

THIS PLUGIN IS A NO BRAINER...THIS PLUGIN REALLY IS AMAZING...

Wow :-o :!: I really can't believe how great this filter sounds. This is the best sounding digital filter I've ever heard.I mean it sounds analog period. The interface is great as well. It sounds so good, and is designed so well, it feels like more of an instrument than an effect,if that makes sense... I already got The Glue and will definitively be buying The Drop. Great work Andy :)

Hell Andy, why didn't you lay hands on the Ableton Live 9 Autofilter as well? :tantrum:
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

adl wrote:Hell Andy, why didn't you lay hands on the Ableton Live 9 Autofilter as well? :tantrum:
+1 :wink:

Great filter Andrew. I don't regret the purchase!

Nice 'trick' I've used so far: Use the HP algorithm on a bass sound with resonance round 100 to 110 (yellow, self-resonating scale) and cutoff round 30 till 60hz to add a nice bass-sound layer.

The funny thing that happens when you stop playing (in Renoise) that the "bass-layer" keeps on going. I guess this is normal behavior, but please confirm.

xiphiuz wrote:Great filter Andrew. I don't regret the purchase!

Nice 'trick' I've used so far: Use the HP algorithm on a bass sound with resonance round 100 to 110 (yellow, self-resonating scale) and cutoff round 30 till 60hz to add a nice bass-sound layer.

The funny thing that happens when you stop playing (in Renoise) that the "bass-layer" keeps on going. I guess this is normal behavior, but please confirm.
I have had a lot of tuning issues doing things similar to this. Either the resonance takes over or the distortion is minimized. Only solution so far is to do it again.

One trick for unsafe resonance is gating the whole filter output (pre-mix knob) via Env 2. Not a panacea but works situationally.

Return to “Effects”