Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

andy-cytomic wrote:Well you're going to be covered on all fronts :)
Excellent.
andy-cytomic wrote:I'm going to call these lower cpu filters "MD" for Medium Detail / Definition detail
:tu: This is what I'm looking for. The typical use case is I have a track with a lot of plugins going and the CPU is peaking at 70%. If I attempt to add The Drop with anything other than one of the Sallen Key models, the audio starts flaking out. I realize I could freeze everything but the sounds are not finalized yet so it's not practical. Lower CPU models would really help.

Frantz wrote: :tu: This is what I'm looking for. The typical use case is I have a track with a lot of plugins going and the CPU is peaking at 70%. If I attempt to add The Drop with anything other than one of the Sallen Key models, the audio starts flaking out. I realize I could freeze everything but the sounds are not finalized yet so it's not practical. Lower CPU models would really help.
The efficient models will only be the SallenK MS2 and StateV OSR, not the Cascade or Ladder, so you're not going to be in much of a different place apart from not sounding as good and taking lower cpu, but there is still a lot of ground to cover with those circuits in both high pass and low pass in all their self oscillating non-linear distorting glory.

Also double check that you are not using oversampling for realtime as this will increase cpu use considerably, and make sure to switch off all the modulators you aren't using as this will also save cpu. Also if the block length is set to around 128 samples or more helps a lot since this spreads out the spikes over a larger time frame to reduce their impact on overall performance.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote: Also double check that you are not using oversampling for realtime as this will increase cpu use considerably, and make sure to switch off all the modulators you aren't using as this will also save cpu.
My trial expired but I will definitely check this out when the next demo is released. Thanks.

I'm soiling myself with excitement. I've never been so worked up over an imminent plugin release.

Sounds great, I for one could certainly use some more economical models

I so glad that you have not tried to compromise and make the plugin crappy just to save CPU, Andy. There is a massive difference with The Drop's sound compared to the bog standard filters that come with most soft synths. I like the idea that I'll be able to use the MD filters for writing and arranging and when it comes time to bounce the parts out, I'll be able to switch to the full glory DF filters with oversampling. MAGIC!

I love putting soft synths through The Drop and instantly, I get the sound of all my old 80s gear back.

I hope I will be able to use this on my older win 7 laptop. Been a year since I purchased it initially (Order Date: 21 Dec 2012). I hope it won't disappoint.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Great showcase of the new filter Andy! I am very curious with which GUI you come up with. The current one is already great: I like the fact you used elements from different synths and filters. Hope you won't kill the nordlead3 style stuff ;-)

had a very pkeasing listen to the new demodd. cant wait, got a track thatd screaming "I need the new filter$" :-)

I've finally finished the last model :) Here is a demo of the LadderT PRD in action:

http://www.cytomic.com/files/thedrop-prd.mp3

Wow. Extremely impressed. Can't wait until it's released! :)

that ladder filter sounds fantastic

Thanks guys! It's also a quite efficient model, on my machine it takes around 4.5% for a stereo 4 pole filter. The audio demo was recorded at x2 oversampling with a high pass and low pass 4 pole filter which took around 18% cpu for the filters. Also some extra info:

Some 4 pole high pass and low pass action from a transistor ladder filter. The wobbles near the end are from the self oscillation of the high pass filter modulating the cutoff of the low pass, no LFOs were used, this is just the filters doing their thing. Drums are from the Vinyl Classics Live Pack and the dry and linear sawtooth waveform provided by Strobe, the same midi is sent to The Drop for triggering the envelopes and keytrack of the cutoffs.
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very nice Andy!!

yep

Return to “Effects”