Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Doug1978 wrote:Great stuff Andy - and it definitely sounds like a LOT of hard work and imagination since you first started this idea!
(I bought The Drop in beta at the first opportunity).

It's an amazing piece of software, so well done on its first non-beta release.
Thanks!

I also just added a LAG mode for the envelopes which is great fun, it operates like TRIG mode but keeps the current trigger level fixed instead of releasing to zero after the attack and hold are finished which is very useful for making ramped sample and hold type step changes based on midi note on velocity or audio to trigger level.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

does the licensed version work with Automap? the demo doesn't (although it does say I must use the graphical interface as demo limitation)

olikana wrote:does the licensed version work with Automap? the demo doesn't (although it does say I must use the graphical interface as demo limitation)
Yes the full version will work with automap. I prevent parameter automation as part of the trial limitation, which will prevent automap from working.

andy-cytomic wrote:
I think it makes sense to optionally smooth the Shift and Spread knobs with the glide time, how about I add a new button "Step" between the Shift and Spread that makes it behave like it is now, and when it is disable both the Shift and Spread get smoothed by the Glide time?
That would be great !

DroneSpirit wrote:
andy-cytomic wrote:
I think it makes sense to optionally smooth the Shift and Spread knobs with the glide time, how about I add a new button "Step" between the Shift and Spread that makes it behave like it is now, and when it is disable both the Shift and Spread get smoothed by the Glide time?
That would be great !
Already done :)

andy-cytomic wrote:
btw wrote:
btw wrote:One question: I'm curious to hear your thoughts on a toggle option for serial versus parallel routing of the input signal through the HP and LP filters. Would it be problematic to implement, having optimized the plugin for serial routing? Were there design considerations that led you to rule it out? Of course this is something I can set up in my DAW with two instances of The Drop, but it would be fun to have parallel routing at my fingertips with all the modulation parameters in one place.
Bump.
Which response are you after in particular? I have looked at all the possible results and made a decision a while back to keep things fixed in routing to simplify peoples workflow, but if you can point out a particular application and a useful result then I would love to hear it.
Sure, I'm mainly thinking about using the HP and LP filters in parallel as a band reject filter (i.e. with the HP cutoff frequency greater than the LP cutoff frequency), and the various modulation possibilities stemming from that. Personally I'd consider this an extremely useful result in terms of creative filtering.

NEWS: The Drop v1.0.7 is ready for download! This version I hope has fixed all the issues people have reported and added all the suggestions people have had as well (apart from MIDI learn which is being left for a future update).

The Drop v1.0.7 (21 Nov 2014) - www.cytomic.com/drop
  • New: Parallel and Serial processing, previously only Serial
  • New: Smoothing of Shift and Spread knobs with Glide, addition of Step button to bypass this smoothing
  • New: Mouse wheel support for changing Hp/Lp Circuit, Lfo2 Pattern, and Lfo2 Steps
  • New: Updated Manual
  • Fixed: AU version not recalling parameters correctly (most evident in Live)
  • Fixed: Level controls for LFO1/2 now work properly once Env1/2 finish
  • Fixed: RTAS version on Win now loads properly
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

thanks for the quick update!

Installer is displaying wrong AU and VST images.

h4nc0 wrote:thanks for the quick update!
You're welcome!

Also everyone please let me know how this version goes for you, I am hoping this one I can finally remove the BETA tag :tu:

edit: thanks for spotting the AU / VST swapped on the background image, I'll update it now :) 50% upload... 75%...100% done!

Wonderful. I was just today wondering when the new manual was coming

The drop is awesome, and I use an instance on nearly everything :o

Rah wrote:Wonderful. I was just today wondering when the new manual was coming

The drop is awesome, and I use an instance on nearly everything :o
I've tried to keep the manual as brief as possible, but if I've skipped on some details you would like further information on please let me know :tu:

Hi Andy, I know I will need further information.
For right now, I am not sure if I understand what beat2 or beat3 is, I tried to use it but that didn't clarify it for me.

Firstly you mean beats, not bars or units correct?
And from the manual I thought it meant that lfo2 should retrigger ever other beat in beat2, or every third beat (beat3), but I don't think that was what it was doing on my end, or does it depend on the rate? That is if you have it on 1/2 note, beat 2, retriggers every whole note and and beat3 should retrigger every dotted wholenote so to speak?

Also I am still very confused by the cutoff section. I think I understand what each does, shift, spread, but when glide is there it throws me completely off....is glide the time it is suppose to take to deviate from say the set low and hi frequency values to the shift value?

Tbh what would be perfect for me is if you got (old age is kicking in, I forgot his name, he does the fab filter videos, use to do several dcam videos so you probably know of whom I speak) to do a short video tutorial.

thanks
rsp
Last edited by zvenx on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sound sculptist

Oh Also there was a typo. Page 11

Hp Active HP Toggle if the Lp filter is active

I assume that should say
Hp Active HP Toggle if the Hp filter is active

rsp
sound sculptist

Andy, do you have any plans to add a control for envelope curve? I find that subtle changes to envelope shape (like the v-curve control in Zebra) can have dramatic changes in the feel of an envelope.
Thanks for all the great work!

Thank you for including parallel routing in the update! This opens up even more tone shaping applications for these superb filters. Feels pretty great as a customer to request a feature and see it delivered a week later. Thanks for all the hard work.

One minor thing: whereas user presets created in v1.0.7 will store and recall Serial/Parallel routing with the preset, it seems the routing is not stored in the factory presets--I assume all were designed before parallel routing was an option--at any rate, loading a factory preset will not update the current routing on loading.

Return to “Effects”