Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Nice and a genius coder.......I hate him
Amazon: why not use an alternative

padillac wrote:I don't know if you've noticed, but he's a really nice guy.
Yes, I've noticed. :)

Daags wrote: What happened to this ? :
andy-cytomic wrote:Please email me directly if you want to discuss licensing and transfers, this thread is not the appropriate place for it. If you prefer to chat about it on a forum them please start a new thread. I have already asked this once, this is the second time and I will not ask again. Please keep this thread on topic - The Drop and resonant filtering is what is about.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7#p6131527
I don't expect every person new to this thread to read the whole thread, but there were continual responses from a small group of people that I felt best to divert to keep this thread on topic. Once clarification post isn't derailing a thread. It's only when people get worked up that things get derailed.

Daags wrote: Jayzus wept, the more you speak on these draconian measures the more my stomach turns.

So tell me, do pre-existing/long-term Cytomic customers get 'credited' authorisations for the years of existing use before you introduced these policies ? I.e, I've been a licensee of both your products for over 2 years before you concocted this scheme ... does my 'authorisation account' get credited 2 more authorisations or not ?

as far as not being able to 'de-authorise' computers without using hardware/dongles ... umm. you're wrong. or maybe you just mean not de-authorised 'enough' ? ...or that you can't do this yourself ?

Reason can do this, without a dongle, though perhaps they are using third-party code to do it. or perhaps you don't think it's secure enough ? I suspect there are other examples, but I just can't recall at the moment.
You can run all old versions as your bought them with the licensing terms of that download, there is no need to update your software, but if you choose to then this includes acceptance of a new license agreement, which is meant to be reasonable to allow everyone to get on with work hopefully without ever needing to contact support. If there are exceptional circumstances please email me so we can discuss them, it is easy to decrease an authorisation count by one or two if something unexpected happened as long as the request is reasonable.

The only way to de-authorise a machine without secure custom hardware like a dongle is to continually "call home" to check the license is still valid. Anything else can easily be worked around. I would rather provide a reasonable number of authorisations to start with and not bother with the mess of custom hardware or calling home after authorisation is done.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

xx JPRacer xx wrote: Maybe something that could happen in the future. I'm switching to Win 10 soon. Also, my OS SSD is getting slower and slower on write ops, so I might change it before the end of the year. I would be at my 3rd authorization now. Only 3 remaining for the next 5 years. In 5 years a lot can happen in the computer world. If de-authorization would be possible I wouldn't be too scared, but for now I'll pass.
The machine id I generate uses information from your main board where possible, so replacing or reformatting a hard drive shouldn't matter. If there are any issues where unexpected authorisations are triggered customers can email me and I'll sort it out.

^ Thanks Andy. The Drop is back on my radar! :)

xx JPRacer xx wrote:^ Thanks Andy. The Drop is back on my radar! :)
Thanks for sticking with the explanations! It's difficult to toe the line between offering customers minimal hassle but also reliable copy protection. I'll always listen to suggestions and fine tune the process whenever possible, my main focus is letting customers get on with making music with the best possible tools I can make.

:tu:

Hi guys,

Just demoing the Drop and man is this amazing!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to initialize the patch so its a blank new instance?

I cant seem to find any presets 'default' or 'init'

cheers.

I just downloaded the latest version and I'm really enjoying this. I'm also starting to read the manual to get a better idea of what this thing is capable of.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

nori.lam wrote:Hi guys,

Just demoing the Drop and man is this amazing!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to initialize the patch so its a blank new instance?

I cant seem to find any presets 'default' or 'init'

cheers.
I should add both of those!

Best way at the moment is to load a new copy, then set it to whatever you want as your default, then you can save this as a preset to recall whenever you want to recall this state. If you name it "Default" in the top level of your preset folder then it will load into both slots when you create a new copy of The Drop. You can also save it as "Default A" and "Default B" to have them automatically recall into slot A and B.

I'll add a special "initialise" preset to make this easier, where it will be the same as when you first installed The Drop prior to possibly saving any "default" presets of your own, and also a "default" preset which is the same as loading a new copy of The Drop.

I have a request, but would it be possible so you can use a toggle switch that only lets you cycle through a specific timing on the LFOs ,rather than sweep through all the speeds.

This would let someone just use the LFO speed knob and they can do a automation sweep on it and it would automatically snap to the values set by the timing switch (triplets, dotted, regular)

It would speed things up for me when i want to do a regular timed automation sweep in my DAW.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I have a request, but would it be possible so you can use a toggle switch that only lets you cycle through a specific timing on the LFOs ,rather than sweep through all the speeds.

This would let someone just use the LFO speed knob and they can do a automation sweep on it and it would automatically snap to the values set by the timing switch (triplets, dotted, regular)

It would speed things up for me when i want to do a regular timed automation sweep in my DAW.
When in SYNC mode the LFO1/2 RATE knob or automation is snapped to note times, when off the times are continuously variable. The MULT knob is always continuous and slightly smoothed as well.

edit: Ahh, ok I think i worked out what you are asking, you want to be able to lock to a subset of snapped values, say just all dotted. That isn't possible, but the granularity of the midi control values means it isn't that difficult to dial in what you want, you just have to practice a bit! I want to keep things as freeform and playable as possible, so i doubt I would add such a feature. You could create a midi mapping table to get what you want.

andy-cytomic wrote: I should add both of those!
Great! Thanks so much Andy. I will be buying The Drop next week when my paycheck arrives :D

I was wondering if there is a way to cycle through the filter types with the up/down arrow keys on my keyboard and/or if they are midi assignable to a controller knob? At the moment I am needing to use the mouse, to click through them and I am not sure if this is a limitation of the demo.

And finally, as a newbie to synthesis and filtering, I found your youtube video 'a rambling run through' really, really helpfu :tu:

If you need another break from programming, I am sure many of us could really use another such video showing how to create different types of effects with The Drop.

nori.lam wrote: Great! Thanks so much Andy. I will be buying The Drop next week when my paycheck arrives :D

I was wondering if there is a way to cycle through the filter types with the up/down arrow keys on my keyboard and/or if they are midi assignable to a controller knob? At the moment I am needing to use the mouse, to click through them and I am not sure if this is a limitation of the demo.

And finally, as a newbie to synthesis and filtering, I found your youtube video 'a rambling run through' really, really helpfu :tu:

If you need another break from programming, I am sure many of us could really use another such video showing how to create different types of effects with The Drop.
It isn't possible to reliably get keyboard entry to a plugin. The filter circuit selectors are exposed as an automatable parameter, so if you DAW can let you control it then you can use a midi controller to change them. The trial version does not allow using host automation, only the full version.

PS: I want to do some more videos in the future, shorter more focussed pieces on tackling particular tasks. If you have any suggestions for topics of videos please let me know!

Off the top of my head I was thinking some tutorials on:
  • Static filtering and drive for production
  • Envelope followers
  • FM and external modulation sources
  • Midi triggered filtering and amp for synths
  • AM and Panning
Please suggest some more!
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Using Drop all over my new album...its amazing. I can only say thanks to Andy and to his magnificent work. If he would make distortion plug-in (with various types of analog distortion...from subtle to total destruction), I believe that would be a dream come true. I would throw my money at it right away. I believe he is the only competent person to make it properly...out of all developers.

Return to “Effects”