Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

xiphiuz wrote:Great filter Andrew. I don't regret the purchase!

Nice 'trick' I've used so far: Use the HP algorithm on a bass sound with resonance round 100 to 110 (yellow, self-resonating scale) and cutoff round 30 till 60hz to add a nice bass-sound layer.

The funny thing that happens when you stop playing (in Renoise) that the "bass-layer" keeps on going. I guess this is normal behavior, but please confirm.
A self oscillating filter by its nature is an oscillator and it should continue to play all the time when there is no audio input. If you prefer it to stop playing once audio is no longer at the audio input and set all the knobs on env2 to straight up, then also pick the destination of Mod2 Dest to be Post, and increase the Mod2 Env2 depth knob to 100%. This will gate output using the incoming audio, so then no audio is there the output will be muted. You may need to fine tune the settings, especially the Sens knob.

Furthermore if you are triggering the bass sound from midi you may be better off sending the same midi to The Drop so you can also trigger Env2 via midi.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

xh3rv wrote:One trick for unsafe resonance is gating the whole filter output (pre-mix knob) via Env 2. Not a panacea but works situationally.
andy_cytomic wrote:
xiphiuz wrote:Great filter Andrew. I don't regret the purchase!

Nice 'trick' I've used so far: Use the HP algorithm on a bass sound with resonance round 100 to 110 (yellow, self-resonating scale) and cutoff round 30 till 60hz to add a nice bass-sound layer.

The funny thing that happens when you stop playing (in Renoise) that the "bass-layer" keeps on going. I guess this is normal behavior, but please confirm.
A self oscillating filter by its nature is an oscillator and it should continue to play all the time when there is no audio input. If you prefer it to stop playing once audio is no longer at the audio input and set all the knobs on env2 to straight up, then also pick the destination of Mod2 Dest to be Post, and increase the Mod2 Env2 depth knob to 100%. This will gate output using the incoming audio, so then no audio is there the output will be muted. You may need to fine tune the settings, especially the Sens knob.

Furthermore if you are triggering the bass sound from midi you may be better off sending the same midi to The Drop so you can also trigger Env2 via midi.
Thanks andrew and xh3rv! Tried and 'problem' solved! It looks that postmix is a better solution for me.

A quick example:

[URL=http://wikisend.com/download/294928/The_Drop_Test.mp3]The_Drop_Test.mp3[/URL]
Last two patterns: In the first of the two the bass is with the filter on (HP) and the second of the two it's off. Well, you'll get the idea.

Are there any presets or manual in the demo versions? Loving this and ready to buy

No presets (yet) and no releasenotes/manual, but this is from the site:

Feature Summary
  • Dual stereo resonant filter with a Highpass into Lowpass
    Circuits include Sallen Key, Cascade, and Ladder (currently only Sallen Key MS2 available)
    Stereo and Mono processing with either 2 or 4 poles
    Loads of drive and character
    Full frequency range and perfect resonance tracking without oversampling so there is no latency in processing
    Huge amounts of resonance if you want and also "Safe Res" button for DJ use where screaming self oscillation is not desired
    A powerful morphing LFO capable of audio rate stereo modulation
    Two analog modelled AHR envelopes that double as envelope followers, one for the cutoff and one for amplitude
    FM from main audio input or sidechain audio input
    DSP coded using C++ and SSE2, Interface coded using the Juce framework (C++)
    Serial number copy protection with generous license agreement, but no license transfers
Circuit Modelling and DSP
  • Cytomic uses the same circuit modelling techniques that are used in professional circuit simulation packages but optimised for real time use. The structure including all feedback loops and useful non-linearities of the original circuit has been preserved. The algorithm uses actual values for resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors and other circuit components. The voltages and currents are solved in real time and match as closely as possible to the analog circuit in both the time and frequency domains.
    Minimum System Requirements
    Vst 2.4, Au, or Rtas compatible host that can handle 4 input 2 output plugins (stereo sidechain)
    Mac: Intel OS 10.5
    Win: XP / Vista / 7 with SSE2 CPU
Tested And Working Hosts
If your host is not listed below then please make sure the trial version is working correctly before you purchase.
  • Logic v7.x, 8.x, 9.1.2
    Live v6.x, 7.x, 8.1.1
    Pro Tools v8.0.3
    Cubase v5.0.1
    Reaper v4.261
    Sonar v7.0
    Wavelab v6.x

Btw, so far I can confirm that The Drop also runs in:
- Cubase 6.5.3 x64
- Renoise 2.8.1 x64
- Ableton Live 8.3.4 (demo)

and Mulab (at least 32/32)
:hug:

Working a treat in FL Studio too. (64bit Win7)

Are there any plans for a manual?

Thanks for the reports of hosts that are working, I obviously haven't updated the list is a while ;)

My turn to post a demo now :) This one shows how you can use The Drop for pumping and panning effects as well as filtering. The synth in this example has pre gain modulation from the lfo, as well as a midi triggered env on the low pass:

http://soundcloud.com/cytomic/pump
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Someone mentioned using the highpass(?) for making a bassline (or making it stronger?)
Well, i had just done that myself

http://soundcloud.com/bj-rnlundberg/ott5 Gives the right oomph! A little use of lfo and whatever else helped give a little chaos.
:hug:

Crackbaby wrote:Someone mentioned using the highpass(?) for making a bassline (or making it stronger?)
Well, i had just done that myself

http://soundcloud.com/bj-rnlundberg/ott5 Gives the right oomph! A little use of lfo and whatever else helped give a little chaos.

HOLY CRAP!!
This is my style when it comes to PAAAAAARTY! :D

Honestly i always wondered how those tracks are made, always wanted to get those banging stuff myself but just couldn't figure out how to so.
My stuff is much more on the "harmony" side :oops: but when i want to party your style is what i need to get going.

Thanx for sharing!
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

can't seem to be able to download the Mac AU demo/beta

Edit: woops nevermind slow website is all
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

andy_cytomic wrote:My turn to post a demo now :) This one shows how you can use The Drop for pumping and panning effects as well as filtering. The synth in this example has pre gain modulation from the lfo, as well as a midi triggered env on the low pass:

http://soundcloud.com/cytomic/pump
Great demo Andy!

xiphiuz wrote:
Great demo Andy!
Thanks! Just having some fun with making the pumping out of phase and a bit random. PS: All the tweaking for that track was done via midi controllers live as well, the LFO automatically re-triggers to keep things in time based on the "Lfo Rate" knob so you can go crazy on the "Lfo Mult" knob :)

Return to “Effects”