IK Multimedia's requirement to run DAW as administrator blocks access to user account presets

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For all those that have to 'run as administrator' when using IK plugins. This requirement blocks access to any presets created on a user account. For example, any Native Instruments presets. Once you start your DAW as an administrator, you will only have accesss to presets saved on your admin account, which for many of us, will be only the default presets and none of our custom presets.

There is a workaround. Copy all user account presets to admin account, add the admin folder to the NI plugin database, save all your future presets there.

There may be plugins from other companies that save presets in user account folders as well. I'd be interested to know if people are having this same problem with other plugins once IK's Authorization Manager forces them to run their DAW as administrator.

Even if you are not having trouble with presets. I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about this 'run as administrator' requirement. As an analogy, if a company's plugins required you to enter a password every time you started your daw, YOU WOULD FREAK OUT RIGHT? Well the 'run as adminstrator' requirement is exactly that. Every time I run my DAW, I have to enter my administrator password if I want to use IK plugins. It's ridiculous.
Last edited by chj on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forgive me for my ignorance - why do you have to run as administrator when using your IK plugs?

macmurphy wrote:forgive me for my ignorance - why do you have to run as administrator when using your IK plugs?
Apparently not everyone does. If you authorized IK plugins BEFORE the introduction of the Authorization Manager, you won't have this problem.

Also it probably only applies to Win 7. If you only have an admin account on your Win 7 system, you won't have this problem either. But if you run Win 7 with an admin account for admin duties and a user account for everyday use (as recommended by MS) it may be a problem. IK's forum is filled with posts by people that need to 'run as administrator' when starting their DAW to get IK plugins to work.

I can't use the FC 670 on my vista system unless I first turn the User Account Control off !! I installed as an administrator with UAC off and it works . I even put the dll in my documents because the root folders seem to make things more difficult for DLL that want to peak at a registry key .... when I turn UAC on again and try to bring up the 670 I'm told that I need to check that the plug is installed correctly and then when i CLOSE THE BOX IT TAKES reaper DOWN !!!

iT'S JUST FANATSTIC HOW PAYING CUSTOMERS GET TO PUT UP WITH THIS SHIT , AIN'T IT !!! :lol:
Financial solvency and KVR Mix as well as oil and water.

@chj i see. yeah i figured it would be a win 7 thing. i really hope it gets sorted out. good luck mate.

@contrary won't it work if you just permanently turn UAC off? i've never seen any use for it..

macmurphy wrote:@chj i see. yeah i figured it would be a win 7 thing. i really hope it gets sorted out. good luck mate.

@contrary won't it work if you just permanently turn UAC off? i've never seen any use for it..
Well I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid in keeping UAC on. In response to IK's 'run as admin' requirement, I looked up to see what UAC really protects against. I'm no expert, but many websites seem to say it will protect against intrusions that require administrator privileges. In any case, IK's plugins are the only plugins I know of that require you to consider disabling UAC protection. In such a situation, I think it's IK that needs to re-consider their system. Unless IK wants to guarantee that they'll fix/cover any costs that arise from an intrusion that would have been prevented by UAC protection, which of course, will never happen.

IK Multimedia's response:
"Windows 7 with UAC turned off is no less secure than Windows XP."
Translated: Turning off UAC to use IK plugins will open up your PC to all the intrusions Windows XP was vunerable to without Win7 UAC protection.
But to be fair, IK also said this:
"I'm going to look into this more with the development team."

Hi chj. When I said this, it was in the context of shutting off UAC as a work around that is available to you right now. As I said, I will be discussing this with the development team to get more info, and of course we will look to what we can do to rectify this in the future.

i've never had UAC turned on and i've never had any security issues.

there's plenty of non intrusive free programs that will protect your pc from anything sinister getting access to your data etc

macmurphy wrote:i've never had UAC turned on and i've never had any security issues.
+1

Some of the reasons why I keep my DAW offline and still use XP64 :hihi:
Proud to be a full-time admin with god-like permissions. 8) :P

But re your issue, what happens if you just run the app as admin, under a normal user account ?
You can do that using a special shortcut for example.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11 ... rator.html
(random link, there are hundreds on that topic)

Might be worth a try, dunno. :shrug:
Ymmv,
susiwong

susiwong wrote:Proud to be a full-time admin with god-like permissions. 8) :P
So am I, on Windows 7 with full internet access. The UAC is the first thing I deactivate after a fresh install. I never get viruses (despite running only Microsoft security essentials), system is clean as a whistle. I really think a lot of it comes down to what sites you visit.

You don't need UAC turned on. If you use common sense and install other less intrusive programs, you won't need it. It's a reaction by MS to the insecurity of earlier versions of Windows. Unless you frequent dodgy websites and habitually download random executables, you're not likely to open yourself up to problems too often.
Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio : Reason 10

lotus2035 wrote:
So am I, on Windows 7 with full internet access. The UAC is the first thing I deactivate after a fresh install. I never get viruses (despite running only Microsoft security essentials), system is clean as a whistle. I really think a lot of it comes down to what sites you visit.
pretty much the same here.

Microsoft security essentials is actually good(!).
i also have Malwarebytes running and occasionally scan with that and Spyware Blaster. i never have any problems. there's really no need to be paranoid about taking your DAW online these days.

macmurphy wrote:
lotus2035 wrote:
pretty much the same here.

Microsoft security essentials is actually good(!).
i also have Malwarebytes running and occasionally scan with that and Spyware Blaster. i never have any problems. there's really no need to be paranoid about taking your DAW online these days.
3 points though

1. You cannot predict the future, there may not be a reason not to paranoid these days but I believe one should still be cautious because everyday from stores to banks and from internet companies to phone companies you hear of people's info having been compromised. There was a time where there was no reason to be paranoid about giving out your social security number too, in fact in Mass it was also your driver's license number but they made everyone change that because it DID become an easy way to steal your indentity. Unless you're prepared to back up your point by saying "if something happens I'll pay for all you are out" then you cannot fault people who like having their DAW offline and prefer to play it safe.

2. Having a dedicated DAW that does not go online has other advantages because many people prefer to have internet related services deactivated to save resources. The more powerful computers get the more resources programs require because companies can offer more in software, so some people prefer to keep it streamlined and as far as I am concerned they have the right to do so. If companies make the decision to sell software that needs to go online to use the software they have to write off those customers. Customers have the right to use the products they buy as they see fit and it's not uncommon at all for people not to want to go online.

3. If you look at this economy we are all not immune to financial disaster, look how many hardworking people have lost their homes. When it comes time to tighten up your belt a little the internet might be one thing that you give up. Seriously, I pay about 140 dollars a month for internet and cable tv alone. I do not have premium services on my cable besides 12 dollars a month for my DVR cable box. Fortunately I am not in such a situation that I have to worry but that doesn't mean tomorrow something might happen, there's a sense of security for me to be able to say "at least I will always be able to write and record music". I can still say that but I have to accept that there are some things I will lose, if I had such a situation I could do with what I have now and if in a few years my DAW dies I know that I can get refurbished or used machines equal to what I have today cheap as technology progresses...but I will have to give up some stuff just because of the internet.

The bottom line with me is I will go online with my DAW but will wait until I have multiple tasks to do so I can do it all at once. I have auto-updates disabled, I have security disabled (including my firewall), I have all my ethernet ports shut off. I made the choice to have my machine built this way so going online will also mean having to update my security software, my operating system etc and when I am done I will have to run a complete scan and then start disabling things. I firmly believe 'if it aint broke dont fix it' and even doing things that are safe and with good intentions can lead to a domino effect.

I completely respect the choice people make of allowing their DAW to go online, I have been in the position of having one machine for everything including the internet, games etc and I might be in the future. But at this point I enjoy the luxury of having one machine that does one thing and does it very well because I prefer not to compromise when it comes to my passion. As I see it I should receive the same respect to not go online with my DAW as I give to those who choose to go online and I certainly am not so presumptuous as to tell others what choices they should make.

:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Effects”