Amplitube 3 Uses Huge Amounts of RAM, and I mean HUGE!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

re_mute wrote:
glokraw wrote: What is so difficult about buying a couple of ram sticks?
Makes no difference with Ableton Live or any other 32bit host. You should focus on trolling Brian from IKMultimedia and berating him for fixing this issue in the next update. :roll:
Not that it's the best solution, but maybe rewire Reaper to live? That'd give you an extra 4GB of RAM to use.

(I agree that 300MB of RAM usage for a plugin is quite excessive.)
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

OK..this is getting silly. This whole thing sounds like the guy who argued that Sonar X1 should be able to work on his Pentium IV system...and could not figure out why it did not work on his system.

Just get a bigger system...there are plenty of them out there...
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

It seems like some people would be happy if I used more ram. The amount of ram it is using doesn't make it sound any better or worse, it is suposedly for the patch switching. And this realy isn't the same as using x1 on a p4.

trimph1 wrote:OK..this is getting silly. This whole thing sounds like the guy who argued that Sonar X1 should be able to work on his Pentium IV system...and could not figure out why it did not work on his system.

Stop carping on about it FFS. IK have already said they're fixing it.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

trimph1 wrote:OK..this is getting silly. This whole thing sounds like the guy who argued that Sonar X1 should be able to work on his Pentium IV system...and could not figure out why it did not work on his system.

You missed the part about some people still being on x86 hosts, especially on a Mac?

Only so much you can do to stretch your available resources, especially on a new computer.

I've got a client that runs Pro Tools and refuses to switch to anything else, he's got 16GB of Ram that he doesn't take advantage of properly. Once Pro Tools loads up with all of his plugins, it's using about 1.5GB of RAM, and that's with a blank project. If he was using Amplitube with 4 guitar tracks and a bass track, he'd be pretty maxed out.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

trimph1 wrote:IK have already said they're fixing it.
Actually, I think they said something like "3.7 will be the version everyone's been looking for" and "it will contain a bunch of new gear models". Nothing specific about addressing the RAM issue. :hihi:

The reality is: 100% 64-bit DAWs are not 100% reality at this point. And this has been the case for several years now. Does recent history give any indication that reality will change overnight? Nope. Just buying more sticks of RAM and upgrading your OS is not enough. The software needs to be built to run within the constraints of the systems it's designed to run in: this is no different than software designed and implemented over the last 50 years. There's a reason that when you load MS Word, it doesn't sit there and tight loop on the file menu with a high-priority thread waiting for the user to select "New..." soaking up 100% CPU.

A reasonable project on any DAW would include: bass, 2 or 3 rhythm guitar tracks, a couple of lead tracks. I have CPU cycles out the wazoo, but I need workarounds and bit bridges and whatever other crap to take advantage of my CPU cycles. Makes no sense. All these software developers need to get their crap together -- all of them. They're just embarassing themselves now with their "priorities" and apparent short-sightedness. :P (no, seriously, this 64-bit thing is getting a little ridiculous)

Just for clarification, I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't like the product. I think it is at the top of it's game for amp sims. I was using the mix and match and IR impulses but I like the all in one thing. Amplitube 3 is great for tones and fx. It's fortunate I'm on Cubase x64 and have 16GB Ram. It still would be nice to not take such a huge RAM hit though for an amp sim.

jensa wrote:
glokraw wrote:I don't recall any IK Amplitube advertisement where low ram usage was the big selling point.They are selling capabilities and results. What is so difficult about
buying a couple of ram sticks? Sigh. I'm serious. If today, it's financially impossible,
there are great free plugins. Why the constant complaining about A3, when users are surrounded with quality alternatives.
Because, once again, and you don't think for everybody else. If you don't have a problem with this why are you here? Talk about being counterproductive.
I always root for the underdog, and I'm on vacation. And this inspired me to set up a new project using A3 for the synth fx. So between the Krispy Kremes, and pizzas, I find it very productive.

hibidy wrote:Ooo Ooo......I have a better one than before

:hihi:
Ahh, high school football, and our gorgeous cheerleaders, brings back

:shock: :-o memories

monkeymanx wrote:Just for clarification, I wouldn't have started this thread if I didn't like the product. I think it is at the top of it's game for amp sims. I was using the mix and match and IR impulses but I like the all in one thing. Amplitube 3 is great for tones and fx. It's fortunate I'm on Cubase x64 and have 16GB Ram. It still would be nice to not take such a huge RAM hit though for an amp sim.
I hope it will be monsoon season when you start a thread about a product you really really despise :)

In all fairness to IK though, Amplitube is unique in that it was the first to release a guitar amp sim suite plugin. Before Amplitube 1 you had to get a Pod, right?

Then Amplitube 2 was a first decent sounding guitar amp sim, it put the Pod to shame. In my studio it relegated the Pod to a door stop and glorified tuner.

Ampeg SVX replaced bass players having to haul their big ass amps into the studio.

Amplitube Fender was the "game changer" point for me though. That plugin just sounds fantastic and Amplitube 3 benefited hugely from its tech. But yeah, with the Custom Shop it has become a big piece of bloatware in terms of RAM.

If AT 4 doesn't improve on RAM usage I won't purchase it. At this point there are a lot of free and cheaper amp sims that are good quality when paired with cab IR plugins like Recabinet. This is something that NEEDS to be addressed! As far as defending this antiquated system, you can shove all your RAM sticks up your amp cab port holes.

kbaccki wrote:Actually, I think they said something like "3.7 will be the version everyone's been looking for" and "it will contain a bunch of new gear models". Nothing specific about addressing the RAM issue. :hihi:
That was in response to an incorrect assumption that the next version will be a paid upgrade, an assumption based on information I gave which was quite specific about when the new light RAM mode will be introduced...

Amp Farm (TDM only) was around before AmpliTube and at the time it was a 'game changer' although i was not convinced. I still am not convinced that any sim/emu not matter hardware or software can match the real thing but rather they can live side by side to complement one another.

I do really like AmpegSVX/the one i went for.

Oh and btw that would be:

"you can shove all your RAM sticks up your BASS amp cab port holes" as most guitar cabs are not ported - Mr AudioGuy720 ;)

AudioGuy720 wrote:If AT 4 doesn't improve on RAM usage I won't purchase it.
We're not even thinking about AmpliTube 4 right now. AmpliTube Custom Shop FREE means that you don't have to pay for upgrades, only new Custom Shop models.

re_mute wrote:
Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:Does nobody even read my posts on this thread? :P
The next update will allow users the privilege of paying for a fix. Is that correct?
We updated 3 whole lines of our software to 64 bit for free this year amongst new releases, the Custom Shop, new T-Racks models. We've been busy and we don't just charge for fixes either.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Return to “Effects”