Waves MaxxBass: freeware equivalent?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BassLane can be pretty much compared with Brainworx's M/S creations like bx_control - just with a tiny different approach though the "mono-ize below a certain frequency" capability is similar. Or also Nugen Audio's MonoFilter.

LoAir pretty much adds a "tuned" sinewave that is triggered by a gate to the signal. An old trick to fatten up kick drums and other percussive instruments.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

It's like when someone jumped in and said to use refuse lowender.. same thing as lo air... they are designed to LITERALLY make things bigger and phatter..

maxxbass is not.

That said i think i will support Aleksey and re buy LF max punch as i demoing it at present and it is fairly close and can do a couple of things of it's own... since maxxbass is over $100 again now.

Still cheaper than it initially cost, or getting the actual hardware.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

ttoz wrote:It's like when someone jumped in and said to use refuse lowender.. same thing as lo air... they are designed to LITERALLY make things bigger and phatter..

maxxbass is not.

That said i think i will support Aleksey and re buy LF max punch as i demoing it at present and it is fairly close and can do a couple of things of it's own... since maxxbass is over $100 again now.
I was led to believe (and not looked into it to be honest) that Lowender and LoAir are more for 5.1 and media usage. Is that a wrong interpretation on my behalf?

hey i just realised something for those with a uad..

http://www.uaudio.com/store/special-pro ... er-hz.html

sound *exactly* like a maxxbass copy to me.. look specifically what the feature set is, phantom bass for smaller speakers.. hmmmm

Waves wrote: Deploy the legal team!
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote:
Waves wrote: Deploy the legal team!

'Deploy' lol

I can visualize a small 'commando' group of well dressed people jumping ..err politely stepping.. out of a Mercedes Benz Viano van in front of a courthouse somewhere..

..and create legalese carnage!

MFXxx wrote: I was led to believe (and not looked into it to be honest) that Lowender and LoAir are more for 5.1 and media usage. Is that a wrong interpretation on my behalf?
Yes and no. I think they created 5.1 versions because film related surround mixing often involves a great deal of "rumble" for the .1 sub (as in explosions, crashes, detonations of various kinds).

AFAIK you can't demo LoAir separately but it is in three bundles, including the surround bundle.

FYI, all the "TDM" bundles and individual FX include native versions too, so you can just DL the TDM version if you don't see a native version on the list. :)
Last edited by A.M. Gold on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

On that note:

I'm demoing LoAir right now with a big, evil grin on my face.

:lol:

Mind you, I have it assigned to an insert on a totally hip hop oriented drum track, but boy it is doing something nice and low-down dirty in that context. :D :!: :party: :hyper: :uhuhuh: :troll:

I'm starting to like these Waves guys, and I'm realizing (having never demoed their products before) why so many pro mixers have many go-to Waves plug-ins lined up.

They are sort of like Lexicon in the plug-in world---i.e. you KNOW you have heard these sounds on the radio many, many times before. :)
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Amazon: why not use an alternative

so nobody with a uad tried my suggestion? there's tons of people with uad cards here yes?

renbass. Why? Cuz I said so.

A.M. Gold wrote:O

I'm starting to like these Waves guys
Man, you have REALLY fallen for them :lol: Glad you like them though........er a........you do realize they don't support reaper........right? :oops:

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I was recently searching for the same thing. I stumbled upon Bass Landscapes, which generates fundamental bass harmonics above the lowest ones, so it's pretty much a MaxxBass equivalent (as long as you'll also do a 20Hz low cut).

It has separate knobs for low and mid-low harmonics. The "Boost" knob doesn't actually determine the amount of boost, but the center frequency of the band. There's also a toggle for a bass saturator / tube sim.

Seems to do the job pretty well, even though it doesn't allow you to "go up to eleven".

You can find it here on KVR:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/bass-la ... syncersoft

Warning: the installer tries to sneak in some toolbar/utilityware. The "Decline" button in these looks greyed out, but it works.

Return to “Effects”