Le Masque :Delay: [Xils-Lab] [ Version 1.5 Released]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bbaggins wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:
bbaggins wrote:In The_Mask_Soul_Func.mp3, at 1:21 I hear some non-musical clicks. Could this be an artifact coinciding with some CC automation?

One of the reasons I'm shopping for a new delay is that many of the ones in my current toolkit are prone to clicks, especially during tempo transitions when synced to tempo.
Hi bbaggins,

Yes thanks for your interest.

Yes There are a lot of automations in this demo, often 5/6 running simultaneously. Its the only one for wich I made automation of controllers via/CC and you can see the result on the video under, where you see the knobs turn in real time. When you see a knob moving its because I'm performing a real time automation on it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE8s1z3pDBQ

Btw you can try Le Masque demo but one of the restrictions is that : midi cc assignations are disabled :oops: But well you can see how it reacts by turning knob manually while playing. :)

LtZ
I am aware that this plugin supports CC automation, and I think that's very cool - but not if it introduces artifacts into the audio. I was hoping you'd take a look at your demo project and see if those clicks do correspond to CC automation changes, or if they're just random noise in the recording from something else.
Well I should have been more precise sorry though the answer is in the video but without the proper explanations :

In this demo I modulate parameters such as the Delay Time AND the Feedback of the Delay simultaneously (as well as some other parameters like pan etc + the parameters associated with the masks automodulations ) in a continuous way (as I used my KB with knobs associated to some parameters via midi CCs )

Continuously means that if I go for sextolets to 4th notes triplets for example I will sweep very quickly thru all the intermediate values ( and actually its what I do several times in the Video)

So to avoid the two clicks ( on a long demo ) all you have to do is to step those controlers lines and erase intermediate values ( Cubase has a function for that to thin the controler flow ) or to write directly the values into the controler's line.

Imho when you perform such huge and drastic modulations as I did on this demo, you'll very likely encounter a few possibles cliks. Its live mangling :)

In the particular case of tempo changes, I made a quick try and didnt get any clicks. As the demo restriction is only that you cant assign midi CCs to control Le Masque parameters, you can use the demo to make your own tests and see if it fits your needs.

Hope the answer is more clear now.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

zerocrossing wrote:Crap, I wish I'd a known you'd be putting the filter inside the delay loop so soon. I blew cash this month, so I guess I'll miss out on the special price. I'll still revisit it though as I thought the filter sounded really good.
Hi ZeroCrossing,

Thanks for your kind words on our zero-delay-feedback filters, directly inherited from the SYnthix synthesizer.

Just write me a PM and we'll see what we can do :wink:

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

What's the difference between this and automating the send to any other delay?

_leras wrote:What's the difference between this and automating the send to any other delay?

Thanks for asking,

Well, its totally different :

1/ Speaking of standard automation :

The first thing is that you can specify data wich be be processed by the filter/delay/modulators chain, according not only to the time position, like in automation, but also according to the frequency content, thanks to Xils-Lab surgical filters. So its already a huge difference. Then :

a/ You can move the masks in real time, adjust them, quantize their locations. Chain presets. Impossible to do with automation. Done easily with Le Masque.
b/ Its done in a flash and in an intuitive way
c/ No need to deal anymore with automation cop/paste etc. Le Masque runs in perfect sync with your Daw
d/ You can perform it live, when there's ..... no automation
e/ You can set your own groove feeling with the tap,even in a daw. impossible to do with automation
f/ All edits/changes/trying new presets/new ideas are done in a flash.
g/ Visual feedback : Le Masque can display musical values, or time. Same for LFOs
h/ Swap Function : Invert masks and unmasked zones instantaneously : Great to produce huge effects.
i/ Tons of "very complex multiautomation schemes" (ie presets ) instantly loadable. Perfect to get new sonic ideas in no time.

2/ Beyond standard automation

a/ You can move and set attack and release parameters of the Masks. Impossible to do with automation except by spending hours to manually shape the curves. All curves. Instantaneous in Le Masque and perfect for a lot of unusual rythmic effects. These can be automùated in real time in several ways, including internal features (see below)
b/ You can move and automate with the Masks level the attack and relase of the Masks themselves. This is strictly impossible to do with any automation
c/ You can modulate a lot of paramaters like filters, Lfos, Masks EV parameters, Pan, Delay times thru the Masks Level parameters, or in real time via Mod Wheel.
d/ Filters can be modulated by LFO or Envelope. The different trigger modes of these modulators can be tied to the masks (ie the LFO will reset on every Mask left locator, or the envelope will be trigged by the Masks, here again impossible to do with automation. Even very sophisticated )

3/ A few Features

a/ Zero-Delay-feedback Xils-Lab multimode filters ( self oscillating in all modes ) with a great sound ( not any other delay, but can be your go-to delay )
b/ Filter can be put in delay loop
c/ True Stereo signal path
d/ Special mode Standard Delay via a simple button

I've probably forgotten a few things but there it is : Le Masque is a nice musical ideas factory. Its much more than a volume automation, all the modulations are tied to the Masks base concept and have some musical meaning.

Imho : It adds a new POV wich can complement in a nice way any arsenal of "beyond delays" units, ie the ones that add some spices ( I wont give names again but these ones have been mentioned here and there in this thread )

More than that Le Masque is very fast, fun, and intuitive to operate.

Hope it answers the question :)

Hi again. Sorry for not getting back to this thread for some time. I just downloaded the latest demo version and I can see that we've now got two different outer ring drag behaviors. Big thank you! :-)

Also big thank you for making both the bank and preset boxes clickable. Helps me a lot not having to be that exact as when I had to aim for the two arrows on my 15" 1920 laptop screen. :)

And some FRs:

* Pulling down the preset shows the list of presets (yay!) and a small check mark to the left of the chosen one. That's good, I like that. I would also like if there was a check mark to the left of the chosen bank name, and especially for the Type drop down menu. Now there's no way to know what Type you've chosen.

* I would like if the left and right blue vertical lines in the graph could be draggable past the other line's end. That is, you could be able to drag the left line to the right of the right and it becomes the right line. And the other way around too. Like the time selection works in i.e. Reaper. Got what I mean?

* I've just checked and there's a 5 pixel tall zone where you can drag the white bars in the graphs and on my high resolution but small screen it's kind of hard to hit it with the mouse. Would you please consider to either make the touch zone a bit taller or maybe if you could implement Ctrl-click anywhere in the area and the with bar jumps to the same height as where you click? Would help me some.

And then there was this:
jensa wrote:* The DAW/IN slider at the bottom is not "grab-able". Right now you have to click to the left or right of it for it to move.
... and this:
Lotuzia wrote: 4/ Daw in Slider : Doesnt work like you mention : You can actually click in the slider itself to determine in a single click the selection you want so its faster than draggable.
Yep, that is what I tried to say, it's possible to click to the left or right of the small dot in the slider and it moves to the place I clicked, but it's not draggable, as in a real slider which you are trying to imitate in the graphics. To me that's inconsistent and a bit confusing. I can live with it but if you chose to implement the more consistent behavior nobody would suffer, not even the most stupid ones like me.
:hihi:

I'm off to buy it now. Cheers!

Edit: Bought!

One more thing which I just discovered. The download links in the registration email is pointing to the 1.0 version. Just so you know.

jensa wrote:Hi again. Sorry for not getting back to this thread for some time. I just downloaded the latest demo version and I can see that we've now got two different outer ring drag behaviors. Big thank you! :-)

Also big thank you for making both the bank and preset boxes clickable. Helps me a lot not having to be that exact as when I had to aim for the two arrows on my 15" 1920 laptop screen. :)

And some FRs:

* Pulling down the preset shows the list of presets (yay!) and a small check mark to the left of the chosen one. That's good, I like that. I would also like if there was a check mark to the left of the chosen bank name, and especially for the Type drop down menu. Now there's no way to know what Type you've chosen.

* I would like if the left and right blue vertical lines in the graph could be draggable past the other line's end. That is, you could be able to drag the left line to the right of the right and it becomes the right line. And the other way around too. Like the time selection works in i.e. Reaper. Got what I mean?

* I've just checked and there's a 5 pixel tall zone where you can drag the white bars in the graphs and on my high resolution but small screen it's kind of hard to hit it with the mouse. Would you please consider to either make the touch zone a bit taller or maybe if you could implement Ctrl-click anywhere in the area and the with bar jumps to the same height as where you click? Would help me some.

And then there was this:
jensa wrote:* The DAW/IN slider at the bottom is not "grab-able". Right now you have to click to the left or right of it for it to move.
... and this:
Lotuzia wrote: 4/ Daw in Slider : Doesnt work like you mention : You can actually click in the slider itself to determine in a single click the selection you want so its faster than draggable.
Yep, that is what I tried to say, it's possible to click to the left or right of the small dot in the slider and it moves to the place I clicked, but it's not draggable, as in a real slider which you are trying to imitate in the graphics. To me that's inconsistent and a bit confusing. I can live with it but if you chose to implement the more consistent behavior nobody would suffer, not even the most stupid ones like me.
:hihi:

I'm off to buy it now. Cheers!

Edit: Bought!
Hi Jensa,

Yeah Glad you enjoyed the v1.1 enhancements.

1/ Check mark. Good idea. We have to put on par all other Xils-Lab units before doing it though. But seems sensible to do.

2/ Left locator can become right locator when dragging and going beyond right locator position. Could be done eventually we'll consider that, but it might be confusing for users as well. also we heve to consider multiple masks overlapping so ... I dont know.

3/ Mask Level parameter : Maybe a Ctrl & +- keys could be implemented ? ( When a Mask is selected pressing the CtrlAND +- or vertical arrows would increase decrease the value of the level parameter of the Masks ??) We have to be very cautious about that cos further developments are currently under the radar for this function.

4/ Slider : Why not ? Not urgent but we might do it. It might need a redesign of the control though so its not something we can do so fast.)

Else : Links pointing at "old" v1.1 version installers : Maybe because you bought it at audiomidi ? They still have some V1.0 licences afaik. When they will get the new licences it will be updated.

LtZ

Boy, this its one powerful piece of software you guys are creating...and I must say, you are the most responsive developers I've ever known to comments and suggestions from us users...although I already purchased several fine delays during the holiday madness (ubermod, timeless, & camel's offering) I've decided your creation is irresistable, especially at such a reasonable price point...So, am headed to your store! Your efforts and achievement deserve our support!

BTW, as le masque is quite complex, oooodles more presets would be appreciated in a subsequent update...Great job! :D
CLIMATE MUSIC: http://www.tinyurl.com/vastman
SPlt/W10-64/4930K/32G; ARK1/Falcon/Banshee/Gravity/ Capricco&Min/OE1&2/REV/Sig Omni2/Tril/RMX/Alpha/Bravo/Juggs/BFD/ ALL Heavocity&OT/Lota synths&8DIO/Spitf/SL/KH/EW/IK/NI; NOVAX guitars

vastman wrote:Boy, this its one powerful piece of software you guys are creating...and I must say, you are the most responsive developers I've ever known to comments and suggestions from us users...although I already purchased several fine delays during the holiday madness (ubermod, timeless, & camel's offering) I've decided your creation is irresistable, especially at such a reasonable price point...So, am headed to your store! Your efforts and achievement deserve our support!

BTW, as le masque is quite complex, oooodles more presets would be appreciated in a subsequent update...Great job! :D
Wow ! Thanks a lot Vastman, glad you like it :hug:

Yes in the next update we'll add some presets, especially some wich will include the v1.1 update features like auto Pan Position and Dynamics variations, and of course the possibility to put the filter in the delay loop. And eventually some of the features of the next update as well :) Atm I think there are around 80 presets for in Le Masque library, wich is not bad, but we'll make some new ones for sure !

13 days left for the 39€ intro price :wink:

I just bought it! that's realy easy to handle :love: very nice tool!!!!

Bob waveman wrote:I just bought it! that's realy easy to handle :love: very nice tool!!!!
Thanks for your kind words, Robert

Iirc you were looking for a replacement for the Logic's delay and requested a single button so that it could become your go-to delay in addition of the special things it can do.

It was already possible in version 1 when a single mask covering the entire grid area was present, but in v 1.1 we added the opportunity to bypass the Masks functions with a dedicated button !

Glad you like it :)

LtZ

Last reminder for the intro price period : 28th = LAST DAY :)

Here are two youtube videos showcasing Le Masque in action.

You can also hear numerous examples of it in action on different sound sources in post 2 of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGcSub7 ... e=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE8s1z3pDBQ

LtZ

If you have some ideas, requests for the next versions of Le Masque :Delay:, just feel free to post them here :)

Already Shedulled : More modulation and cross modulations ( like EV/Lfo Rate for example )

Eventually an insertable pitch shifter could be nice ( to recreate some complete percs lines a la "Sexual healing" with a single 808 sample for example )

Well all wont be done, but everything will be considered, and get attention, so .........

LtZ

Lotuzia wrote:If you have some ideas, requests for the next versions of Le Masque :Delay:, just feel free to post them here :)

Already Shedulled : More modulation and cross modulations ( like EV/Lfo Rate for example )

Eventually an insertable pitch shifter could be nice ( to recreate some complete percs lines a la "Sexual healing" with a single 808 sample for example )

Well all wont be done, but everything will be considered, and get attention, so .........

LtZ
Wow! You're amazing! :-D

Return to “Effects”