Le Masque :Delay: [Xils-Lab] [ Version 1.5 Released]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, i cannot english.

in german:

Ich habe mir das großartige Plugin gekauft. Mittlerweile ist mir ein Bug aufgefallen der sehr störend ist. Es handelt sich dabei um ein leises, moduliertes kräuscheln, welches auf dem linken Kanal auftritt. Ich konnte definitiv sicherstellen, dass es sich um das Delay-Plugin von Le Masque handelt. Ich benutze Windows XP und kann daher nicht sagen, ob das Problem auch bei Vista oder Windows 7 auftritt, aber die Wahrscheinlichkeit ist sehr groß.
Jedenfalls habe ich in meinem Projekt gerade das Plugin im Einsatz und merke, dass es permanent dieses oben erwähnte Stör-Geräusch aussendet wenn in der DAW (Cubase) das Projekt abgespielt wird. Besonders deutlich hört man es heraus, wenn man im Projekt eine leere Stelle abspielt. Man könnte aber auch einfach ein leeres Projekt mit einer Audiospur öffen und das Plugin inserten mit einem aufgerufenen Delay-Preset. Dann den Play-Knopf der DAW drücken. Besser ist es auch wenn man mehrere Presets durchsteppt, weil es sein kann, dass bei einigen Presets das Störgeräusch nicht auftritt. Und ganz wichtig: Das Projekt muß abgespielt werden um das Problem (auf dem linken Kanal) zu hören! Die Abhör-Lautstärke bitte auch erhöhen.
Bin mal gespannt ob ihr das auch bemerkt.

Leander wrote:Sorry, i cannot english.

in german:

Ich habe mir das großartige Plugin gekauft. Mittlerweile ist mir ein Bug aufgefallen der sehr störend ist. Es handelt sich dabei um ein leises, moduliertes kräuscheln, welches auf dem linken Kanal auftritt. Ich konnte definitiv sicherstellen, dass es sich um das Delay-Plugin von Le Masque handelt. Ich benutze Windows XP und kann daher nicht sagen, ob das Problem auch bei Vista oder Windows 7 auftritt, aber die Wahrscheinlichkeit ist sehr groß.
Jedenfalls habe ich in meinem Projekt gerade das Plugin im Einsatz und merke, dass es permanent dieses oben erwähnte Stör-Geräusch aussendet wenn in der DAW (Cubase) das Projekt abgespielt wird. Besonders deutlich hört man es heraus, wenn man im Projekt eine leere Stelle abspielt. Man könnte aber auch einfach ein leeres Projekt mit einer Audiospur öffen und das Plugin inserten mit einem aufgerufenen Delay-Preset. Dann den Play-Knopf der DAW drücken. Besser ist es auch wenn man mehrere Presets durchsteppt, weil es sein kann, dass bei einigen Presets das Störgeräusch nicht auftritt. Und ganz wichtig: Das Projekt muß abgespielt werden um das Problem (auf dem linken Kanal) zu hören! Die Abhör-Lautstärke bitte auch erhöhen.
Bin mal gespannt ob ihr das auch bemerkt.
Hi Leander,

Please use google translate to read the answer, or use another translator program

If you encounter some residual noise, try to lower the Resonnance parameter : All xils-lab filters are capable of self oscillation in all modes ( low pass, high pass etc ) and its probably the filter self oscillation that you hear.

The fact that it only appears on the left of the audio might be related to different feedback/delay time settings for the right and left channels.

I also use Cubase and used Le Masque in numerous projects, and have never encountered such behaviour, except when Le Masque filters were entering self oscillation with very high resonnance settings.

There are hundreds of Le Masque users who probably use Cubase as well, and we have never heard about such a problem, but please let us know if the above fixed your problem, in case it might be a real bug happening on a few systems.

Danke sehr,

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Hi Leander,

Please use google translate to read the answer, or use another translator program

If you encounter some residual noise, try to lower the Resonnance parameter : All xils-lab filters are capable of self oscillation in all modes ( low pass, high pass etc ) and its probably the filter self oscillation that you hear.

The fact that it only appears on the left of the audio might be related to different feedback/delay time settings for the right and left channels.

I also use Cubase and used Le Masque in numerous projects, and have never encountered such behaviour, except when Le Masque filters were entering self oscillation with very high resonnance settings.

There are hundreds of Le Masque users who probably use Cubase as well, and we have never heard about such a problem, but please let us know if the above fixed your problem, in case it might be a real bug happening on a few systems.

Danke sehr,

LtZ

Hi Lotuzia

Very many thanks for the clarification. It was in fact the Resonnance parameter. Now everything is fine again.

best regards

Leander

Musicradar : An in-depth review of Le Masque you can read here

The last lines of the review :

".... Le Masque: Delay could well be the best €59 you'll spend this year. Everyone should own this crazy little plug-in."

Thanks to Musicradar :hug:

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

CM review : 9/10 & 3 awards :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'm having trouble understanding how to do simple things with it. I only have experience with old tape delays so please bear with me! I would like to know where to start to understand how it works. The manual doesn't have any tutorials of how to set up the basics like a tempo-synced echo, a ping-pong echo, etc. It's just a long list of functions. The videos showcase only the complex mask uses. Where is a beginner supposed to start? I can't even find a basic ping pong echo in the presets :(

Thanks in adbance for any help :)
ALL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US - Google

https://soundcloud.com/dan-ling
http://danling.com

Well I am making progress...I created a new INIT by going around and turning everything off, and started with the left-hand controls. I'm used to being able to feed a left or right delay channel with a mono audio channel and I can't see how to do that. It's just stereo in goes to both channels? I'd like to be able to feed channel B from channel A and vice versa the way my old tape machine worked...I still can't get a real ping pong and I don't see how it would even be possible...there's no synth-style routing that I expected...

I'd like to be able to control any parameter with the mod wheel or my pedal. delay volume, master pan, delay time, etc. SONAR doesn't really permit midi learn with effects unless you set them up as instruments...it's all much more complicated than it needs to be...exactly what I wanted to avoid...and there doesn't really seem to be anything much you can do with the mod wheel except filter, and while that's a cool thing, it has nothing to do with delay per se...why not be able to control the delay position, volume, delay time?

In all, the quality is great as I expected, and it appears this thing can do a lot of really bizarre stuff, but it doesn't have any synth-like internal modulation flexibility - I don't seem to be able to do many classic delay things with it. I want somebody to show me I'm wrong...please!

Hopefully somebody will do a good introductory tutorial or something...

Gonga wrote:Well I am making progress...I created a new INIT by going around and turning everything off, and started with the left-hand controls. I'm used to being able to feed a left or right delay channel with a mono audio channel and I can't see how to do that. It's just stereo in goes to both channels? I'd like to be able to feed channel B from channel A and vice versa the way my old tape machine worked...I still can't get a real ping pong and I don't see how it would even be possible...there's no synth-style routing that I expected...

I'd like to be able to control any parameter with the mod wheel or my pedal. delay volume, master pan, delay time, etc. SONAR doesn't really permit midi learn with effects unless you set them up as instruments...it's all much more complicated than it needs to be...exactly what I wanted to avoid...and there doesn't really seem to be anything much you can do with the mod wheel except filter, and while that's a cool thing, it has nothing to do with delay per se...why not be able to control the delay position, volume, delay time?

In all, the quality is great as I expected, and it appears this thing can do a lot of really bizarre stuff, but it doesn't have any synth-like internal modulation flexibility - I don't seem to be able to do many classic delay things with it. I want somebody to show me I'm wrong...please!

Hopefully somebody will do a good introductory tutorial or something...
Sorry I did not see this one before.

So, first, to use it like a "regular delay" you should first bypass all the Masks, ad we added a button for that in the 1.01 release. It only bypass the masks action so you can keep your settings and activate it again later if you want.

Mod Wheel : You can assign the left and right pan and L'R delay times to the mod wheel. This is done in the Time and Mod tab, located at top right of the unit.

Also interesting : You can also modulate these parameters with the Masks themselves, wich means that the left delay pan position for example can be set very accurately for each Mask, so ou can do all sorts of hopefully interesting pan evolution, wich will be synced to your Daw time line, or free running for a little extra humanisation. WHat is valid for Pan is valid for filters, delay times etc.

But the Masks have also "enveloppes" so each Mask could trigger a pan position wich will "evolve" during the Mask transition.

LFO and Envelopes can only control the Filters and the Volume of the Delay atm, but they can also be triggered by Masques (ie Left locator of each Masque actually ), and with this option you can achieve all sorts of rythmic, "gated", rising, fading effetcs on the echoes.

But well to operate it like a simple regular delay, first just switch off the Masks actions. Then if you want to experiment try to deconstruct the presets we made for Le Masque, and see how they're built.

Then, yes, it really needs some video tutorials in the future ! In the ones I made, I just showcased -some of- the possibilities, and they're huge, and also how easy it was to create/delete move Masks ( even on the fly while the audio is turning ) but a few presets commented in a video could really help/

Also Le Masque is great to experiment with : Just play a synth, or put a loop in your daw, and try different presets on it : And you'll hear form classic to crazy things. Then if something inspires you, just tweak it to make it fit your project. Or to graduallyget used to all the functions, and how they interact.

LtZ

Thanks for the reply! I know when people have troubles we can be very impatient, but you didn't really take long to respond. You seem to be a man with many responsibilities in what is no doubt a small but high-quality operation. I understand you must be very busy...you seem to answer everyone's questions here promptly.

I am so impressed by Oxium and ChorX that I decided to buy this unit also since I have wanted to do cool echo things with my leads, etc. One thing's for sure, Xils-Lab stuff is quality. I may not "get" Le Masque yet (or ChorX for that matter - also unique), but I was tweaking the knobs last night while playing and never once did it even hiccup let alone freeze or anything - super stable in SONAR X1 64-bit.

I don't understand the masks yet. I didn't see where the manual defines what a mask is exactly. I thought they were just the areas of a loop that were affected by the delay. If the mask can define times of the delays and pans of delays themselves, that's really cool - that's what I assumed when I bought it.

I'm sure given time I'll figure out more things I can do with it.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of video tutorials. Don't feel bad but I prefer higher resolution, and spoken explanations of what the mouse is doing though :wink: Your English appears to be really good...and it's just my opinion but the marquee scrolling across the bottom of the screen isn't so great because you can't read it and follow along at the same time. What's needed is a voice track, like the pro tutorials do (just my 2 cents).

Gonga wrote:Thanks for the reply! I know when people have troubles we can be very impatient, but you didn't really take long to respond. You seem to be a man with many responsibilities in what is no doubt a small but high-quality operation. I understand you must be very busy...you seem to answer everyone's questions here promptly.

I am so impressed by Oxium and ChorX that I decided to buy this unit also since I have wanted to do cool echo things with my leads, etc. One thing's for sure, Xils-Lab stuff is quality. I may not "get" Le Masque yet (or ChorX for that matter - also unique), but I was tweaking the knobs last night while playing and never once did it even hiccup let alone freeze or anything - super stable in SONAR X1 64-bit.

I don't understand the masks yet. I didn't see where the manual defines what a mask is exactly. I thought they were just the areas of a loop that were affected by the delay. If the mask can define times of the delays and pans of delays themselves, that's really cool - that's what I assumed when I bought it.

I'm sure given time I'll figure out more things I can do with it.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of video tutorials. Don't feel bad but I prefer higher resolution, and spoken explanations of what the mouse is doing though :wink: Your English appears to be really good...and it's just my opinion but the marquee scrolling across the bottom of the screen isn't so great because you can't read it and follow along at the same time. What's needed is a voice track, like the pro tutorials do (just my 2 cents).
A "mask" is a zone on the grid thats right, and its primary function is to define the zones where the delay and all its signal chain, will be active.

So to make the delay act as a standard delay, you either put a single mask covering the whole grid area, or use the switch button wich bypass Le Masque.

Then, each Mask has a "Level" parameter, and this "lzvzl" can be used to modulate/control any target like filter cutoff, pan postions of the delay lines, or delay times etc.

In addition the mask have envelope paramteres ( it is common for all masks). You can therefore control attack, but also the release of the Masks actions. ( provided that the Masks are not all contiguous for the Release parameters )

This is for the Masks basic actions.

For the videos, well speakover is good provided that 1/ My spoken english would be better 2/ But also, and more important, that users watching the videos are fluent in English. This is not always the case, I made some tests with my students, and even, shame on me, with my kids :hihi: :help: , with some other videos on Youtube with speakover, and they had really hard times to understand what the speaker said. BUT they understood almost everything with the flicker/subtitle thing. Its true that the eye is sometimes lost between the subtitles and action on the screen, but in this case people can always watch the tut a second time, and it will be OK I think. Its the same for me when I watch tut with speakover btw, most of the times I have to see it at least twice to be usre I did not miss something :oops: :oops: :oops:

So in the end I went for the solution that offered the best support to the widest part of users : Written text. Its a bit longer to do, but its also easier than to record and sync voice etc etc, especially because you expect a zero audio default voiceover from audio professionals, wich makes the thing even more complicated :)

+ Glad to know it works rock solid in Sonar :)

LtZ

Thanks for the explanations.

It's your call as to how to do the tutorials, I wondered whether the spoken English was more difficult for non-English speaking people. I just wanted you to know my preference.

I still can't use Le Masque Delay. I did mention it when I bought it half a year ago and it's so hard to grab the verical and horizontal lines in the matrix. The "grab area" seems to be only one pixel wide and damn is that hard to grab on a 1920 x 1200 display. I'm using the latest version of Le Masque.

I also downloaded the demo of Oxium and noticed it was a lot easier to grab the horizontal lines there since it seemed the "grab area" was extended to at least 3 or 5 pixel.

Could you please, please, please fix this? If not I have to sell it since it's not really possible to get into any kind of workflow as hard as it is now.

:-(

Yes its sometimes difficult to grab the horizontal lines and this will be adressed in the next updates. So :

There's a not so minor update of Le Masque wich is schedulled before Xmas and it will adress a porting of all we've learned with Oxium to Le Masque regarding the general ergonomy of the masks + if what we have in mind works, it should be even better in this domain, with several other enhancements.

Expect some other nice new features as well.

LtZ

Lotuzia wrote:Yes its sometimes difficult to grab the horizontal lines and this will be adressed in the next updates. So :

There's a not so minor update of Le Masque wich is schedulled before Xmas and it will adress a porting of all we've learned with Oxium to Le Masque regarding the general ergonomy of the masks + if what we have in mind works, it should be even better in this domain, with several other enhancements.

Expect some other nice new features as well.

LtZ
Oh, that's very very very very very good. I love concept and look forward to love the implementation too. Thanks! :-)

Version 1.5 is on the radar.

Since version 1.1 and the now possible inclusion of the filters in the feedback loop, as the ability to disengage the masks so that it can be just used as your goto delay with super filters, we did work a lot to bring you the best we could.

The Masks handling has not only been greatly improved, as explained above, it also have some new tremendous features, making it a stunning sonic weapon.

Some other features are also in the making, including something that will probably please all DUB Dub dub users. Well and all other experimental freaks. Even more also.

But .......

If you have some ideas, some FR, etc it's time to tell us ...

NOW :)

LtZ

Return to “Effects”