VST like the Moog Murf?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote:
justin3am wrote:Maybe FilterscapeQ6? Not exactly the same but you'll probably be able to get similar results with the snap shots.
That's a good suggestion! Especially since it's gathering bitdust in my VST folder. I forget how powerful that baby is.
The problem with G.A.S. is that you forget how plug ins like this one are amazing! I'd forgotten how good the filters sound! I wonder if he'll release a new version of it that contains the new Diva filters.... that would be super kick-ass.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:Silly, much easier to just get a MIDI MuRF.
It's probably much easier just to use your Slim Phatty's filter input. :)

Uncle E wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:Silly, much easier to just get a MIDI MuRF.
It's probably much easier just to use your Slim Phatty's filter input. :)
Does the Slim Phatty have 8 parallel bandpass filters? I thought I had read through the specs pretty well, I wasn't aware.

zerocrossing wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
justin3am wrote:Maybe FilterscapeQ6? Not exactly the same but you'll probably be able to get similar results with the snap shots.
That's a good suggestion! Especially since it's gathering bitdust in my VST folder. I forget how powerful that baby is.
The problem with G.A.S. is that you forget how plug ins like this one are amazing! I'd forgotten how good the filters sound! I wonder if he'll release a new version of it that contains the new Diva filters.... that would be super kick-ass.
It does some really unique things and sounds nice too. Surprisingly, it's the only U-He product I don't have. :lol:

justin3am wrote:Does the Slim Phatty have 8 parallel bandpass filters? I thought I had read through the specs pretty well, I wasn't aware.
The ridiculousness of recommending the Slim Phatty (or any other solution that requires extra hardware) aside, would you need eight band filters to get something that works like a Murf? Wouldn't any bandpass filter with a step sequencer modulator work (or simple MIDI input modulation), since the filters on the Murf are fixed frequency?

What sounds like a Murf? I can't answer, that's mostly one of those how long is a piece of string kind of questions.

shamann wrote:Wouldn't any bandpass filter with a step sequencer modulator work (or simple MIDI input modulation), since the filters on the Murf are fixed frequency?
Not really. From my experience, the Moog Murf is similar to the Moog 914 except the gain for each band is controlled by the sequencer. Most effects that use a step sequencer to control a bandpass filter, will be controlling the cutoff of the filter. With the Murf, the only control you have over cutoff is a frequency range switch that toggles between high bands and low bands.

I think there is a misconception about the Murf, that the sliders on the front are used to program the sequencer. In reality, you can only program the sequencer of the MIDI Murf and only via a software programmer. By default, you can only use preset patterns.

right Justin - the Murf looks interesting but I think it's gonna be a one trick pony with limited functionality compared to software. Sure, it sounds amazing - but only for one effect
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Uncle E wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:That's not really a VST though, technically speaking. :uhuhuh:
Yes, it really is, technically speaking.
:?: :?: :?:

justin3am wrote:
shamann wrote:Wouldn't any bandpass filter with a step sequencer modulator work (or simple MIDI input modulation), since the filters on the Murf are fixed frequency?
Not really. From my experience, the Moog Murf is similar to the Moog 914 except the gain for each band is controlled by the sequencer. Most effects that use a step sequencer to control a bandpass filter, will be controlling the cutoff of the filter. With the Murf, the only control you have over cutoff is a frequency range switch that toggles between high bands and low bands.

I think there is a misconception about the Murf, that the sliders on the front are used to program the sequencer. In reality, you can only program the sequencer of the MIDI Murf and only via a software programmer. By default, you can only use preset patterns.
I've only a vague understanding of the Murf, but I got the impression that only one filter is active at any given time, and the patterns just govern which band was active, which would be effectively the same as one filter with a modulated centre frequency. But looking at the manual, my mistake was that all filters can be active depending on the pattern.

Other than than Filterscape, the only other thing that comes to mind would be to use a fixed filterbank plugin and modulate band gain with host or MIDI automation. Audio Damage has a fixed filterbank, but it doesn't sound much like the Murf clips I've heard. Are there any other fixed filterbank plugins?

shamann wrote:Are there any other fixed filterbank plugins?
Not many it seems. After several pages of a google search I only ended up with the Starplugs one and WOK's, both made in Synthedit, but WOK's is free and might be worth a look see anyway as his stuff is always interesting.

It got me thinking though... and a quick search of the Reaktor user lib did turn up two emulations. I'll give them a go tonight and see what's up.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
Not many it seems. After several pages of a google search I only ended up with the Starplugs one and WOK's, both made in Synthedit, but WOK's is free and might be worth a look see anyway as his stuff is always interesting.

It got me thinking though... and a quick search of the Reaktor user lib did turn up two emulations. I'll give them a go tonight and see what's up.
Audio Damage 914 might be worth a look too: http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD010 :)

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Audio Damage 914 might be worth a look too: http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/prod ... ?pid=AD010 :)

Cheers
Dennis
Yeah, I guess I could sequence it all via CC and make that work.
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
Bronto Scorpio wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:

Cheers
Dennis
Yeah, I guess I could sequence it all via CC and make that work.
Would be annoying but it would work.
Really weird that there doesn't seem to be a real software Murf alternative.
I guess Filterscape would really be you best choice :)

Cheers
Dennis

This looks very interesting:

SineVibes Intros Intertia Envelope Sequencer, Cluster Animated Filter
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... ed-filter/

Looks like it's only for Mac though :-(

shamann wrote:I've only a vague understanding of the Murf, but I got the impression that only one filter is active at any given time, and the patterns just govern which band was active, which would be effectively the same as one filter with a modulated centre frequency. But looking at the manual, my mistake was that all filters can be active depending on the pattern.
The 8 bands can be all active at the same time. The patterns turn the bands on and off (more than one band can be turned on at the same time), while the faders set the volume of each band. By the way, the manual shows the factory pattern for each operating mode (bass and mids).
When set to pattern 1, the pattern is disabled (it works like a classic filter bank).
Then there's the LFO switch, which sweeps a bit the bands frequency (the sweep can be controlled also using the LFO/Sweep input on the back), so they are not completely "fixed".
Finally there's an envelope controlling the gain for each band. The envelope is triggered at each step of the pattern; the Envelope control changes the attack and decay (it's a simple A-D envelope) simultaneously, it starts from fast attack and long decay and it goes to long attack and slow decay. I like to think to the envelope as something similar to the MS-20 lfo, which has a continuosly sweepable waveform.

Last but not least, the bands can be played though midi (on/off and volume) by using midi notes on the Midi MuRF.

I think it's not the most easy to understand effect, though it's very powerful. I don't know any vst similar to it (except AD 914 fixed bank, which lacks al the modulation stuff of the MuRF?), but I've never been a big fan of filter banks (though I'm slowly getting interested in them), so I don't know anything to suggest.

Return to “Effects”