best vst tape simulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tetsuneko wrote:The only other analogizer I have in my toolbox is LN MagnetShaper ;)
And a DAMN good analogizer it is ;)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

VibraSound wrote:The Free GClip with 60% softness.
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip.htm >snip<
wtf!?! shhhh! don't give away such secrets?!? :)
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

jam92189 wrote:i tried nebula never really got feel for it and as for uad i have it and don't like dealing with the hardware shit my my uad solo 2 and satellite are just decorations whatever tool you use u have to think about proper gain and how it effects it if you want a smooth sound figure out how to make it if you want distorted figure it out to me i just get what i want quickly with my sknote stuff because i took the time to learn it inside and out
sorry for the ot, but have you heard of periods and commas in sentences? bueller...? anyone...?

as for tape saturation... hmmm... i've yet to hear any digital emulation that sonded my revox with a good tape. the thing is, to me a good tape saturation sounds _not_ like audible distortion, but as an integral part of the input sound, only closing up the image, while slightly smearing the high frequency range from around 7khz upwards (effectively killing the harshness, making it sound way smoother in the high end), depending on the head position... that hf-smearing and the "magnifying glass effect" (plus the level increase) on the whole sound was what i was always wowed on, again, coupled with the stunning fact that you wouldn't ever perceive this kind of fattening as distortion or overdrive, even though it's based on just that - creating additional harmonics and messing with parts of the phase on the frequency line...
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

brok landers wrote:
jam92189 wrote:i tried nebula never really got feel for it and as for uad i have it and don't like dealing with the hardware shit my my uad solo 2 and satellite are just decorations whatever tool you use u have to think about proper gain and how it effects it if you want a smooth sound figure out how to make it if you want distorted figure it out to me i just get what i want quickly with my sknote stuff because i took the time to learn it inside and out
sorry for the ot, but have you heard of periods and commas in sentences? bueller...? anyone...?

as for tape saturation... hmmm... i've yet to hear any digital emulation that sonded my revox with a good tape. the thing is, to me a good tape saturation sounds _not_ like audible distortion, but as an integral part of the input sound, only closing up the image, while slightly smearing the high frequency range from around 7khz upwards (effectively killing the harshness, making it sound way smoother in the high end), depending on the head position... that hf-smearing and the "magnifying glass effect" (plus the level increase) on the whole sound was what i was always wowed on, again, coupled with the stunning fact that you wouldn't ever perceive this kind of fattening as distortion or overdrive, even though it's based on just that - creating additional harmonics and messing with parts of the phase on the frequency line...
Have you heard about capitals to start a sentence?

Couldn't resist. :D

FWIW, CM did a saturation shoot out a couple of issues back, listing most of the goods listed on this thread. A very nice read giving comparisons on everything from sound to options to price.

cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Every single Tape saturator that I tried ( I think I tried every single one of them including those made for Pro tools, NEBULA, UNIX, VST etc, etc) and I found that if there is any harshness inherent in the actual recoding then it only gets exaggerated with "Tape" plug-ins.

Also, I should mention that for me "harshness" usually comes from 2Khz to 7kHz region and" hardness" is somewhere around 700hz to 1khz. I never felt like there was any high frequency loss when I'm using my Revox (with good tape) instead it is kind of getting nicely massaged and polished into the audio..kind of shine that doesn't hurt your eyes (ears). I also should mention that I record mostly with ribbon mics so I don't have the abundance of high frequency content to begin with.
www.montrealserai.com
Montreal Serai-featuring diverse arts; poems; essays, cinema & music reviews, coverage of alternative media

i found that there is nothing so far like this hardware tape simu:
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/
how come ?!!? :(

wakax wrote:i found that there is nothing so far like this hardware tape simu:
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/
how come ?!!? :(
It's a tape delay simulator, like the UAD Space Echo and Echoplex.

uncle e: yep i know.
but it sounds ( to me ) better than everything i've heard on Win or OS X ...

wakax wrote:uncle e: yep i know.
but it sounds ( to me ) better than everything i've heard on Win or OS X ...
Have you heard the UAD Echoplex?

uncle e:
"Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card" ...
i don't have that so i can't compare :(
from demos - UAD sounds ace.

Give PSP MixSaturator a try :)

the psp vintage warmer is good to run your master mix through to add character and warmth.
[mod edit: possible SPAM link removed]
Last edited by NathanRichards10 on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”