best vst tape simulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AC222 wrote:CDSoundmaster's new Ampex Library (including the ATR-102)is awesome. Man that guy is good at sampling!
I bet! Thanks for the heads up! :)

Uncle E wrote:
bmanic wrote:Notice how the professional model is still relatively intact and represents the original file quite well, even though it has cut the dynamics about 2dB!
Sounds great! While subtle, I do hear the difference in dynamics with the professional model and I like what I hear. :)

None of these are doing what I'm used to hearing from an ATR-102 but I could easily see myself turning to the professional model when I need some natural sounding dynamics control, which is more often than not!
Agreed! While I have never used a real ATR-102 (how close does the Anamod ATR-102 card get? I've used that one and it was very nice!) I do own Slate's VTM and think it is absolutely brilliant! But there are definitely situations where I prefer Reelbus over the VTM.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote:
Uncle E wrote:
bmanic wrote:Notice how the professional model is still relatively intact and represents the original file quite well, even though it has cut the dynamics about 2dB!
Sounds great! While subtle, I do hear the difference in dynamics with the professional model and I like what I hear. :)

None of these are doing what I'm used to hearing from an ATR-102 but I could easily see myself turning to the professional model when I need some natural sounding dynamics control, which is more often than not!
Agreed! While I have never used a real ATR-102 (how close does the Anamod ATR-102 card get? I've used that one and it was very nice!) I do own Slate's VTM and think it is absolutely brilliant! But there are definitely situations where I prefer Reelbus over the VTM.

Cheers!
bManic

On what situation you prefer reelbus? me its when I want to use more Wow and flutter on certain Virtual instrument to give more realness and less artificial.. with Slate VTM the wow and flutter is pretty subtle and since I use instance of VTM on all track and buss since the parameter are global I cant crank up the wow and flutter cause it will affect all other tracks. so I leave VTM wow and flutter at 0% and use ReelBus with the old tape setting with WOW and flutter to my taste on the specific instrument (something violon or piano) for a nostalgia effect.
Musician/Composer/Mixer based in Montreal, Canada. Acustica Audio Nebula / Acustica Audio Tulip, Rust, Sienna. Latest mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mTQmE7S-ZM

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
VibraSound wrote:The Free GClip with 60% softness.
http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip.htm (http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip.htm)

Thank you, works a treat!

I have both roundtone and reelbus. They sound very different to me. Reelbus gives a really nice classy saturation and roundtone works more on punch and softening low mids, if that makes sense. I'd be interested in others' opinions. I'd say get both for the money. They definitely will give you interesting flavor and options which are different than eq. Roundtone also has cool delay and flanging. SKnote and TB are great developers and have lots on offer. SKnote gives no hassle refunds and great service! SK Cuttertone gives an extra dimension for vinyl without all the pseudo crackles etc.

Ardis wrote:I have both roundtone and reelbus. They sound very different to me. Reelbus gives a really nice classy saturation and roundtone works more on punch and softening low mids, if that makes sense. I'd be interested in others' opinions. I'd say get both for the money. They definitely will give you interesting flavor and options which are different than eq. Roundtone also has cool delay and flanging. SKnote and TB are great developers and have lots on offer. SKnote gives no hassle refunds and great service! SK Cuttertone gives an extra dimension for vinyl without all the pseudo crackles etc.
This is an old thread and I don't think Satin was out yet. Satin is one of the best tape emulators available right now, maybe try demoing Roundtone and Reelbus against and see which sounds the closest to it?

VTM and ReelBus

I've got VTape, Waves Kramer and Slate VTM. The Slate one feels the most like tape.

VTM is the king if it comes to a emulation of a real tape machine brand (Studer) it feels and sounds like a tape for me.
If it's more the tape effect and to sound like a tape (I think of a "Tape Maschine Toolbox") there is only U-he Satin and it's not only a tape, it's also a tape delay....
I have both and use both... but to be honest, I use Satin most of the time as a Tape Delay ;)

Uncle E wrote:
Ardis wrote:I have both roundtone and reelbus. They sound very different to me. Reelbus gives a really nice classy saturation and roundtone works more on punch and softening low mids, if that makes sense. I'd be interested in others' opinions. I'd say get both for the money. They definitely will give you interesting flavor and options which are different than eq. Roundtone also has cool delay and flanging. SKnote and TB are great developers and have lots on offer. SKnote gives no hassle refunds and great service! SK Cuttertone gives an extra dimension for vinyl without all the pseudo crackles etc.
This is an old thread and I don't think Satin was out yet. Satin is one of the best tape emulators available right now, maybe try demoing Roundtone and Reelbus against and see which sounds the closest to it?
Indeed! Not to mention that Reelbus has had a lot of updates to it also.

I still think there are benefits of having all 3 or even 4 of those (I do own roundtone but virtually never use it). Satin, Reelbus and VTM are all in use for me.. mainly Satin though. I just seem to prefer it's "tone". For more obvious effects Roundtone is definitely king.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Loving the Satin and Reelbus. New improved Reelbus took care of that "plastic" sound and it's much more "3d" as before. But Nebula still rules in this department. Sold VTM as it just muddied the mix.

VTM here. Sounds the most natural to me but have not tried Satin. Reelbus maybe for quirky or retro but have not found much use in my needs for it. Haven't spent much time with the updated version but the old version didn't sound "smooth enough" for my needs.

Satin. I can't say any others sound better than it and none are as versatile! :tu:

studjo wrote:Loving the Satin and Reelbus. New improved Reelbus took care of that "plastic" sound and it's much more "3d" as before. But Nebula still rules in this department. Sold VTM as it just muddied the mix.
My sentiments exactly. Nebula is by far the best 3d sound. I prefer the CDSM Ampex for this. And I love Satin for its natural, soft compression effect that doesn't overall mess with the sound. I don't like VTM because it does mess with the mix. I understand that tape rolls off the highs but this sounds like it's a plugin trying to cop a sound at the expense of muddying the sound with some artifacts to boot. I don't fancy VTM any more because of this.

As far Reelbus, when it first came out there was some things that I liked about it, somewhat of a 3d sound for a plugin as opposed to what VTM did but there was as you said a "plastic" sound. I'm glad to hear it is fixed as I just didn't feel comfortable imparting this all over the mix due to this plasticness. Was Reelbus completely remodeled?

I'm quite impressed with the quality of 112db's Redline Preamp plugin, not just for saturation, but also for the bit extra it gives particularly to drums.
There is also a free demo.
http://www.112db.com/redline/preamp/

Return to “Effects”