best vst tape simulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

agreed + infinity

sknote's Roundtone is very capable at tape emulation and very affordable too :)

[quote="sadkin"The Vtmm2 sounds good to me, it really does but I just preferred running my tracks through the A800. [/quote]

I wasn't saying it doesn't.
But it's not meant to replicate the part of the process which the uad does. You might want to read my post again.
m@

+1 for roundtone also try sknote's stripbus i find tube 4 sounds very smooth

i tried nebula never really got feel for it and as for uad i have it and don't like dealing with the hardware shit my my uad solo 2 and satellite are just decorations whatever tool you use u have to think about proper gain and how it effects it if you want a smooth sound figure out how to make it if you want distorted figure it out to me i just get what i want quickly with my sknote stuff because i took the time to learn it inside and out

Hi this is a little off topic but with some of the aforementioned tape sims like FerricTDS or Rountone or Magnetic would it be possible to do all you track compression using one or other of them instead of your standard compressor plug?

some of those do lessen the need for separate compressors in my experience..
as a note, cd soundmaster had a free tape vst that didn't need nebula, i think it was a revox model if i remember rightly, i found i really liked what it did on some tracks, worth checking out!

I really like the Waves Kramer MPX demo but Slate Digital have Virtual master Tap due out anytime now so I need to try the Slate one before I buy.

shanecgriffo wrote:some of those do lessen the need for separate compressors in my experience..
as a note, cd soundmaster had a free tape vst that didn't need nebula, i think it was a revox model if i remember rightly, i found i really liked what it did on some tracks, worth checking out!
http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-softw ... lugin.html

UAD A800, ATR102 and FATSO cover all my tape needs. I've never compared the sounds I get from them to anything in the real world, but they make pretty much anything sound better when used with the right settings.

What I love about UA tape plugs is that they are made with flexibility in mind.. You want to use them softly for transient softening, or you want to use them as a fuzzbox, just set the dials accordingly..

The only other analogizer I have in my toolbox is LN MagnetShaper ;)

GrimBrin wrote:Hi this is a little off topic but with some of the aforementioned tape sims like FerricTDS or Rountone or Magnetic would it be possible to do all you track compression using one or other of them instead of your standard compressor plug?
i know with roundtone you can for sure its level dependent and has different tape modes from 7.5 ips to 30 and from soft compression to a more slightly overdrive to give just the slight amount of extra harmonics. also depending on your incoming signal it will affect how all of the settings react.
not sure about ferric but i think magnetic also does something similar. they are all good in there own way its a to taste thing i like the smooth natural sound of roundtone. but i do like magnetic for its more "overpowered" sound its easy to do to much with magnetic. hope that helps :D

as for uad stuff its good stuff no doubt but its pricy and you need hardware

not only that saying its all about how you set it up is with all plugs i think they are all good in there own way i have the uad A800 great plug just not for me i demoed fatso i almost bought it but after a while i just never used my uad stuff

does anyone else has the impression that Nomad Magnetic II sounds worse than Magnetic I?

+1 to Magnetic

szalonykp wrote:does anyone else has the impression that Nomad Magnetic II sounds worse than Magnetic I?

+1 to Magnetic
+1 magnetic guess you have to be even more careful now

I like Kramer Tape from Waves. Also, I really like PSP's Vintage Warmer although maybe not strictly a tape emulation per se...

Return to “Effects”