Toontrack EZmix 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's a tool. If you can use it, super. Don't want it/need it, nothing wrong with that either.

There isn't anything wrong with a producer of 30 years to use it or the bedroom composer to pass.

I do think 179 bucks is pretty steep. The reasons are here:

-This is supposed to be about "ezmix" not super-pro-engineer-inabox.
-Too many presets that are just modulation or other superfluous delays. My expectations are more cleaning up/cutting through type stuff. Not saying you shouldn't have some of those, but there are too many.
-It's a very simplified method. Ultimately you going to feel like reaching for knobs and controls that are not there. I'm good with that but once you get into this price range it's hard to have it have so much of that.

I bought it, for all the time I've used ezmix (the first one was very reasonably priced) and the 49 buck upgrade was worth it for the improved preset filter and a few nice presets (the tape hihat preset is DA KILL!) Another important point is I don't use it simple as a "one button" mix solution, there are many things you can do with it.

Truth told, I agree. I like what was added, but it's not $110 of new features. I feel like Toontrack over-inflated the worth of the plugin. I was happy to buy the original ezmix for $69, and an upgrade for $49. But $179 is a little steep. At that price, it ought to include all the artist packs.

There are currently nine expansion packs.
In Euroland they cost 25 EUR each.
25 x 9 = 225 EUR

It would be a bit much to include all the packs plus the additional new features/improvements for just €139.

YMMV

Real PLUS point with Toontrack: They swallow the Tax at checkout.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I just use a cc, but in fact they do add a little international charge (which I always forget about until after :bang:

you can get the expansion packs at other stores though (like sweetwater)

It's available at Audiodeluxe for $109, d/l only. I am pretty skeptical about such "auto" things but I tried the demo and was pleasantly surprised. YMMV

Dan
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

I only have version 1 at the moment and I'm just starting to work with it.

FWIW, I was putting down a bass part last night and needed to mix the track to sit right with the other tracks.

There are only 4 or 5 presets labelled "bass" and they all do very different things. But one of them just happened to nail what I was trying to do perfectly. Might have justified the cost of the thing right there. :hihi:

Jury's still out on whether I upgrade or not, but at least that won't really break the bank.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Regarding presets how do the demo and full version compare. From the video it looks like there are more presets in the full version.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

morelia wrote:Regarding presets how do the demo and full version compare. From the video it looks like there are more presets in the full version.
No, at least not in my experience. However, the "vids" show all those very expensive add on packs.

hibidy wrote:
morelia wrote:Regarding presets how do the demo and full version compare. From the video it looks like there are more presets in the full version.
No, at least not in my experience. However, the "vids" show all those very expensive add on packs.
Yes that would be it. Thanks :wink:
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Hey, unlike NI's shell-concept with effects at least you don't have to load Superior Drummer first, to get EZmix going !

But seriously: I like the Toontrack concept and I think the pricepoint for the add-on packages is 'ok'. But the price for the basic package is just too high. I see this at max €/$ 99 - including one addon!

They will make the money with addons!

FrankT wrote:Hey, unlike NI's shell-concept with effects at least you don't have to load Superior Drummer first, to get EZmix going !
It's funny you should mention that though because I was thinking how cool it would be to have ezmix integrate with SD. Not going to happen, but it would be cool.

hibidy wrote:
FrankT wrote:Hey, unlike NI's shell-concept with effects at least you don't have to load Superior Drummer first, to get EZmix going !
It's funny you should mention that though because I was thinking how cool it would be to have ezmix integrate with SD. Not going to happen, but it would be cool.
Really? I am not a fan of what NI is doing with GR and their new effects line. Better keep this seperate me thinks ?!

FrankT wrote:
hibidy wrote:
Really? I am not a fan of what NI is doing with GR and their new effects line. Better keep this seperate me thinks ?!
No no, I mean ezmix integrating into SD. Naw, I hate the compressors in guitarrig thing :lol:

hibidy wrote:
FrankT wrote:
hibidy wrote:
No no, I mean ezmix integrating into SD. Naw, I hate the compressors in guitarrig thing :lol:
:hug:

BERFAB wrote:
autumndreams wrote: But to them I say this: Audio Engineering and Songwriting are two different fields, and they require two VERY different skill sets. It's preposterous to assume that a person should be able to navigate both easily, as they both require HUGE amounts of time in order to master the craft.

I'm a songwriter. Anything that stands between me and my computer, in terms of getting a track down, is a hindrance to the creative process. Anything that aims to make that process easier and more efficient, while providing inspiring results, is a welcome addition in my book.
What he said. +1
I see myself as a musician first & foremost but I do also enjoy the technical/mixing side of things. I can notice from my first track on soundcloud up to the latest a definite improvement in my mixing ability. Having said that though there are a lot of times the tech side of my brain can take over when I'm writing/composing, wanting to make things sound better as I go. This is where EZmix comes in real handy, choose a preset tweak the sliders & away you go. I don't use it on every track, its great on the drum bus. I sometimes use it on vocals, maybe bass & the odd synth. When it comes to final mixing stages I usually end up replacing some or most of the ezmix plugs with comp/limiter/EQ.

For a songwriter who doesn't want to spend years honing their mixing skills or doesn't want the mix/edit as you go approach to be a hindrance, EZmix can be a real timesaver.

I do think the full version is a bit on the expensive side but I'll probably end up upgrading & maybe getting 1 or 2 expansion packs.

Return to “Effects”