Help me figure out the best "Drone" solution for myself...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If there was nothing to discover in music, no one would be passionate about making it. Not to mention with that mentality encourages mediocrity

rpc9943 wrote:If there was nothing to discover in music, no one would be passionate about making it. Not to mention with that mentality encourages mediocrity
Sure, we're agreed on that.

Ron, I wish you well with your pursuit of drone music. Honestly, the artists recommended on the previous page are worth listening to (in addition to experimenting with some of the previous excellent software recommendations too), if only to expand your ideas and counter-ideas further.

Music discoveries happen on an individual basis. How those artists, you and all of us create and blend sounds new to us is what gives our music its vitality, but it is still the amalgamation and individual discovery of existing (non-new) sounds and concepts.

I make dub music - I can only succeed in taking this further if I pay attention to what people like King Tubby and Lee Perry did before me and then tally this with ideas and concepts about the existing world which I live in.

Really? Sorry, but really?

rpc9943 wrote:Really? Sorry, but really?
Mmm... what's that in relation to Ron? :hihi:

Please expand.

I'd prefer to contract, which is to say, any more drone tool tips I'd be open and glad to know.

Well then, in addition to the excellent previous software recommendations such as PaulStretch and Shimmer (and the very handy advice from Sean), what do you think of SpectrumWorx?
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/spectru ... tle-endian

You may well also generate some interesting starting ideas from Mashtactic:
http://www.quikquak.com/

I've found these two (combined with Shimmer) particularly inspiring during the past few months when creating dubby 'drone' or ambient soundscape music.

Experimenting with programs such as these, allied with a better, open-minded understanding of leading artists, should help you to make some good progress with drone music.

:)

Doug1978(tempID) wrote: sorry to disagree, but there aren't any NEW sounds to make.
There are plenty of new sounds to make. They are just getting harder and harder to find. Like new species. We think we know the world, but then a giant spider unknown to science turns up in Laos:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... ekong.html

My goal with future Valhalla DSP plugins is to try and find some of those new sounds. It's going to take a while, though. I need to familiarize myself with some new techniques, and step outside of my modulated delay line comfort zone.

As far as Eno, ValhallaShimmer is saturated with Brian Eno's influence. The specific "shimmer" sound was based on a patch Eno and Lanois created in the early 80's. The timbre and modulation of the reverb in general was based on how Eno and Lanois would abuse the EMT250 and 224 within the context of larger feedback loops.

Meanwhile, my favorite Eno albums are actually his first 3 "rock" solo releases. I could listen to Here Come The Warm Jets nonstop and be happy.

Sean Costello

Interesting post Sean.
PM sent.

:)

DELETED

the smartelectronix transverb is great for drones. if you own reaktor you can make a great granular dronemaker fairly quickly. I don't know if these have been mentioned already.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I have downloaded all of the free ones mentioned in here. Awesome! I also caved in and listened to Brian Eno and came upon this and was BLOWN AWAY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TkLhtXM ... re=related

This is EVERYTHING.

Doug1978(tempID) wrote:there aren't any NEW sounds to make.
speak for yourself, you know. that may describe your ability or lack of imagination. the palette in sound is not limited, it's closer to infinitudes...

and they aren't harder to find, 'valhalla'! how can that be, with more and more tools for synthesis and effects? it's absurd.

I recommend VSL Hybrid Reverb! :P

to rpc: absynth, and long evolving envelopes.

rpc9943 wrote:If there was nothing to discover in music, no one would be passionate about making it. Not to mention with that mentality encourages mediocrity
:tu:

Doug1978(tempID) wrote:
rpc9943 wrote:Really? Sorry, but really?
Mmm... what's that in relation to Ron?

Please expand.
your apparently derivative approach (a better, open-minded understanding of leading artists/dub artists), vs. your pompous 'new to YOU' remarks, maybe? "open-minded" rather clashes with "tally this with ideas and concepts about the existing world which I live in". but of course 'open-minded understanding' is followed by 'of leading artists'.

the most telling thing there is "I can only succeed in taking this further if I pay attention to what people like _ do".

I dunno... this 'POV' seems "timely":
Franz Grillparzer (1791-1872) wrote: Genius differs from talent not by the amount of original thoughts, but by making the latter fertile and by positioning them properly, in other words, by integrating everything into a whole, whereas talent produces only fragments, no matter how beautiful.

(emphasis mine)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Return to “Effects”