Help me figure out the best "Drone" solution for myself...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love medicine! :)

Not too into the vocals but love the guitars.

rpc9943 wrote:Hey valhalla, since you're knowledged in the ways of spacemen 3 and Spiritualized, how the hell do you think they did "pure phase" effects in between songs? Any estimation? Maybe you could make us an effect to match this? ;)

I'm seeking a swirly kind of effect... Is this found within phase / flanger? If so, please lead me to it in software format?

RonC
I'll have to drag out my Spacemen 3 stuff. I only have "Playing With Fire" on the iPod right now. From what I remember of the phasey drones, it sounded like organ chords (probably Vox), through several cascaded effects. Try running a flanger into a phaser into another flanger, with different speeds on each of the units.

Sean Costello

I am wondering if anyone would be under the impression that camelspace and camelphat would bring a lot to the table under the context of what I'm going for?

Thanks
RonC

rpc9943 wrote:I love medicine! :)

Not too into the vocals but love the guitars.
IIRC, the Medicine guitar sound was obtained by overdriving the preamps of some cheap 4-track.

I know that you want to keep things in the box, and honestly, working ITB works well with my business plan. :D However, the types of music you are into all rely heavily on analog dirt. And some of this dirt is very difficult to get in the digital realm, or is more efficient to get in the analog realm.

Take the Fuzz Face. This is a simple 2-transistor fuzz, yet the sounds that come out of a good version of this circuit are amazingly complex, with softened attack, lots of volume dynamics, and so on. For the sake of argument, let's say that a decent emulation would take 1% of a modern Intel processor. This ends up dedicating several MILLION transistors on your CPU, to emulate 2 transistors in the circuit. I'm starting to believe that this isn't the most efficient use of a computer.

The Korg Monotrons are also great. I just picked up a Monotron Duo, and apart from an unfortunate tendency of the VCOs to lock phase when closely tuned together, this $49 box spits out some of the HUGEST drones I have heard in my life. Within a few minutes, I was getting sounds similar to the VCS3 drones in "Obscured by Clouds," which is one of my benchmarks for warm filter sounds. I think that the simplicity of the circuit (the filter uses 5 transistors, 1 FET, an op-amp stage, and 2 diodes), and the noise induced by the low voltages, contributes some serious mojo to the output.

Sean Costello

I'm not interested in turning this into software vs hardware, but I've been exploring izotope trash and simply clicking on the preset that emulates a big muff, to me, sounds like a big muff. I recorded about 4 tracks panned out of that with my guitar and it sounded like siamese dream, EASILY. I could easily replicate the medicine guitar sounds by using two different fuzz plugins...

By the way, I've been making tons of progress on my new album in the works- hypnotic loops mixed with all this drone stuff... I'm thinking of taking it crazy places by automating different amp sims / shimmer sends / delays on top of what I already have made...

I feel like I'm making truly new music ;)

I'm grateful for shimmer, it's been on every single track when I pick up my electric guitar!

Faithfully creating new atmospheres (IN THE BOX),

RonC

sorry, but following this interesting thread while watching/listening to a new work just put online by dear friend Franck Vigroux, I feel I just can't resist to share it with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq0_Es3ipAw

and can't wait to listen to what RonC is up with.

best,
Luca

This stuff is probably "more cool" or "modern" than what I'm doing.

I'm doing stuff more in the vein of darker moody british music like the cure, early verve, spiritualized... Kind of neo-psychedelic stuff I think it might be called.

Plus it might sound like total crap by the end so please don't keep your hopes up haha

RonC

So after a lot of experimentation, I've discovered that, for this drone journey I've been on... Slowing down audio, and then adding fx such as valhalla shimmer, wow n flutter, etc is the "best" solution. I Haven't even put paulstretch to the test, simply dividing the speed from sample clips from previous songs I've made in ableton has been a pretty perfect solution!

RonC

Damn, looks like the planets in our solar system beat us to making drones ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3Ghjm5 ... re=related

Okay, I have finally released my full length album. It is definitely NOT a drone album, but I used a lot of knowledge from this board to create what I think is my best album yet. Thanks again, and I guarantee you will hear a lot of Valhalla Shimmer if you're looking for it ;)

By the way the drone stuff doesn't start till track 2

Feel free to share and listen to this:

http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.c ... te-healing

NOTE: in a HPC thread, Doug actually pointed to this thread and used it, rather than meet points in that thread, in order to say the same things about me he does here. Kind of more crap that I should have to eat, I think.
Doug1978 wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Doug1978(tempID) wrote:there aren't any NEW sounds to make.
speak for yourself, you know. that may describe your ability or lack of imagination. the palette in sound is not limited, it's closer to infinitudes...

and they aren't harder to find, 'valhalla'! how can that be, with more and more tools for synthesis and effects? it's absurd.
jancivil wrote:
Doug1978(tempID) wrote:
rpc9943 wrote:Really? Sorry, but really?

Mmm... what's that in relation to Ron?

Please expand.
your apparently derivative approach (a better, open-minded understanding of leading artists/dub artists), vs. your pompous 'new to YOU' remarks, maybe? "open-minded" rather clashes with "tally this with ideas and concepts about the existing world which I live in". but of course 'open-minded understanding' is followed by 'of leading artists'.

the most telling thing there is "I can only succeed in taking this further if I pay attention to what people like _ do".

Ah, Jan my dear foe. We meet again... :hihi:

Regarding your misreadings of my posts above, the truth is I don't mind your attempts to insult and rile me, because ultimately I'm entitled to my genuinely-held opinion, as unfashionable as that may be.
Sure. It's just too palpable that you're "riled". One supposes hat a genuine opinion is good when it's you, when it's me there's this whole rant, if only justified by a couple of strong words.
Doug1978 wrote:I honestly don't think there are any new sounds.

And I don't need to believe that there are any new sounds in order for me to continue making the new music for me that I enjoy.

Perhaps that line of argument is beyond you, your unnecessary insults ('pompous' for me; 'absurd' for Sean Costello's very reasonable viewpoint) and your misinterpretations above, Jan?
jancivil wrote: your pompous 'new to YOU' remarks
Doug1978 wrote: I never said 'new to YOU'.

I said 'new to us'. Can you see the clear difference in those two remarks, Jan? (Perhaps a better question is: do you want to see the clear difference...).
Yeah, & I see a clear difference between what you said and your revision of it. I made an obvious mistake putting the ' sort of quote marks around that phrase. But if you're going to be strict, why not look at what you subsequently wrote? You did_not say 'new to us', and I would not want you to include me in any such "us". If you're going to preach to a person about being insulting, do something better than rank condescension and plain insult. I said something about statements, you have shit to say about a person. See if you can't find a clear distinction, and I mean that sincerely.
Doug1978 wrote:And if you're going to start throwing insults around blahblahblah

Moreover, if anyone wants to take a look at your whole KVR history... blahblahblah

On the other hand, most people here at KVR (like Sean and Ron, for instance) know how to pleasantly disagree with other people's views in a polite and respectful manner.

... your attempts to misquote, insult and rile people...
You're showing me how to pleasantly disagree, then. :lol: And you were so confident of this thread you feature it in another thread where you show your ass in this same fashion!

So, you were actually so desperate to tell this story that you isolated "'new to YOU' maybe" as a misquote, a deliberate distortion with an intent to merely rile. That tells us a story about you really. What harm can I have even meant by that 'misquote'? You_said_there_are_no_new_sounds. It hardly matters if you said 'to YOU'. It will have made no sense at all to accuse you of having done. You made an overarching statement. No, you're desperate to call me out with all of this history and that's your shot. It's really seriously PETTY.

One thing I really hate in talk of music is this 'there are no new sounds'. (There can't be any real creativity in the world of sound? You should get out more, as they say.)

So I say, that's you, that isn't my problem. It looks like musical conservatism and a <pompous> declaration that seems to me to do nothing better than justify a lack of curiosity. That's my 'honest opinion'. I find that as such a declaration 'pompous', and you as Ms Manners doesn't work for me particularly as you utterly fail to practice what you preach. So, I did say "pompous" to you and "absurd" to Sean Costello. I haven't changed my mind.

One can simply never state a strong objection because we're all so amazingly polite all of the time, then. And the way you show me how to be civil in discourse is to do all of this shit. :nutter:
Doug1978 wrote: Good luck with your struggle to make music Mr Civil, no matter how uncivilly you try to express yourself here at KVR.
You're telling me how I am! So does this typify how you are? Your need to make this stand was - and remains - so great you need to tell a story about how music making is such a struggle for me. Just, WOW. & if you're going to be facetious about a title of respect, get the gender right at least. Look in the mirror. I know how I am.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anyway, congrats to rpc for his album release. :tu:

jancivil wrote:...rant rant rant
Jan, instead of opening up this thread after three and a half years just to let rip with more foul-mouthed, self-delusional drivel, why not adhere to what the original poster requested earlier?

It was his thread on drones after all.
rpc9943 wrote:As much as I'd like to get out the popcorn please don't ruin this awesome thread with a pretty far out topic, take it to pm please. Let's please stick to drone creation not differing theories. It just looks freaking lame to have to read people's ideas when you originally click on the topic for drone workflows. Seriously. Thanks :) and besides you know I'm right. That was a joke. When I say new sounds I meant new atmospheres of emotion, expressed through the exploration of FX. And I'm not just talking here, I'm really making music and releasing it as I always have been.

So let's please stick to topic?
Seriously Jan, calm down and move on.

Wouldn't it have been better to keep this @ HPC? As far as i'm concerned, that's the place for insults and personal disputes...

^^ indeed.

rpc9943's album, Vahalla Shimmer and drones - that's what this thread should be about.

Return to “Effects”