Variety Of Sound Thrillseeker: Bootsy and Patrick's new beast

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote:Well I'm going to get flamed to a cinder for this but........I'm not impressed at all with this plugin. I'll give it third test tonight but it appears to be destined for deletion. At any rate thanks to Bootsy for his generosity....... :hail:
It's a character compressor so if the character doesn't impress you, then it just will not work for you.

I couldn't get it to work for mastering duties at all but it's truly awesome for single channel things. Also make sure you don't tweak it "the usual" way but instead experiment with attack and release settings you might not have thought possible. :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Here is a quick example with Thrillseeker on drums.

Kick, Snare, OH's and Room has some mild thrillseeker treatment. No bus compression at all.

Drums, no compression

Thrillseeker on individual drums, OH and room

This example might not seem immediately impressive but I guarantee you that it absolutely kicks ass within a mix. :D

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Thanks Bootsy.

I tried it on drumbus and master, edm music.

As far the the compression goes, i find it does the job ok-ish but overall it's too subtle for my taste. I did some (unfair) A/B with the duende ssl buscompressor, i could get close to a sweet setting but Thrillseeker lacks a certain uumph and glueing of bass. In the release stage Thrillseeker doesn't pull enough.

The Interstage part makes it very interesting, i can see lots of possibilities for use, but this effect also i find a bit too subtle for my taste.

The overall feeling i have is it holds back too much.

Tried it with: Drums (single & bus), Bass, Ac.gtr, Distorted gtr, Vocals
In all cases the results were awesome.
I think this will be in every track from now on, just like NastyVCS is for my tonal shaping needs.
Thank you Bootsy! (I don't know how to put more gratitude into these simple words..)

zeep wrote:Thanks Bootsy.
overall it's too subtle for my taste.
In the release stage Thrillseeker doesn't pull enough.
Strange that you say so, as I was thinking just the opposite.
Of course I don't have ssl to compare with, but I guess we all have our own personal taste (and there is nothing wrong with that).
cheers

I'm really impressed with the attack. Many compressors have short attack times in theory but they often sound weird with exremely short settings.
This makes TsLA extremely useful for sources with sharp transients like drums and acoustic guitars imo :)

Cheers
Dennis

bmanic wrote: I couldn't get it to work for mastering duties at all but it's truly awesome for single channel things. Also make sure you don't tweak it "the usual" way but instead experiment with attack and release settings you might not have thought possible. :D

Cheers!
bManic
I agree seems its not designed for mastering in mind but the spectrum selection at the interstage might have its use someday...

Looks great. Can't wait to try it. Thanks Bootsy :tu:

zeep wrote:Thanks Bootsy.

I tried it on drumbus and master, edm music.

As far the the compression goes, i find it does the job ok-ish but overall it's too subtle for my taste. I did some (unfair) A/B with the duende ssl buscompressor, i could get close to a sweet setting but Thrillseeker lacks a certain uumph and glueing of bass. In the release stage Thrillseeker doesn't pull enough.

The Interstage part makes it very interesting, i can see lots of possibilities for use, but this effect also i find a bit too subtle for my taste.

The overall feeling i have is it holds back too much.
I would have thought you would use a regular compressor to do the bread and butter compression duties. Then add Thrillseeker to the signal chain to add to add subtle colour/mojo/saturation?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I've only tried this on drums so far(Studio Drummer), but :-o . Makes the Sonor kit sound so fat. I through two of em in series, instant Bonham. Can't wait to see what it does for bass. And it's free!

The GUI won't open in Cubase LE 6.0.2 under my windows XP SP2 32 bit laptop :(
Anyone experiencing this problem?
Thanks

gemada wrote:The GUI won't open in Cubase LE 6.0.2 under my windows XP SP2 32 bit laptop :(
Anyone experiencing this problem?
Thanks
This happens from time to time with Synthmaker plugins here too. It will work fine after a restart of your PC. It also helps to stop and restart the hardware acceleration of you graphics card iirc.

Cheers
Dennis

bmanic wrote:
bduffy wrote:
K-Slash wrote:
bduffy wrote:What is a "Stateful" compressor? "Solid state"?
Stateful saturation my friend !

Read here : http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/201 ... aturation/

By the way it's an opto design.
Cool, thanks bro. Another thing to make me wish I could mix on a PC sometimes... :cry:
Why not install Windows 7 in addition to OSX? Then you could have best of both worlds. :)

Cheers!
bManic
Because: If you go MAC - there's no way back?
:lol:
no sig

bmanic wrote:This example might not seem immediately impressive but I guarantee you that it absolutely kicks ass within a mix. :D
I just got done throwing this on a drum bus and it sprang to life. I am not saying I could not get the same results with something else, but it was easy as all get out with ThrillseekerLA. Will be trying this on some other tracks/busses today, but my first impression is very favorable.

It is working splendid for my needs in a compressor, Agree that it does not work for me either on a master out or a stereo mix down that i then put the finishing touches to. As a track and certainly parallel aux compressor it has turned into goto along with the very other few in my own personal "Go To" set of dynamic processors.

Nik mate, I can definately hear exactly what you mean about the above example you have posted. On Snare, Toms, Electric guitar and bass guitar it has become my default and there is still alot of other material i have yet to test it on

A Winning plug-in that money can not buy :D

All the best

Dean

Return to “Effects”