Xenakios HourGlass 1.4.5 granular processor (OS-X too), grab it while it lasts!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
HourGlass

If you like granular synthesis, get this beast! I've been a fan of this form of synthesis for a while (remember Granulab?) and this is another jewel in the collection. Runs very stable so far, though I haven't tried VST yet. Thank you so much.

Is this just for Windows?

aMUSEd wrote:Is this just for Windows?
Yes, that's the situation now. (The "good news" however is that the codebase itself doesn't depend much on Windows, so if/when I ever will be able to run OS-X, I can build it for OS-X without too much effort. Apple unfortunately doesn't make it too easy (ie cheap enough) to build software for OS-X for developers who have limited resources at their disposal... :? )

Xenakios wrote:
Yes, that's the situation now. (The "good news" however is that the codebase itself doesn't depend much on Windows, so if/when I ever will be able to run OS-X, I can build it for OS-X without too much effort. Apple unfortunately doesn't make it too easy (ie cheap enough) to build software for OS-X for developers who have limited resources at their disposal... :? )
Don't they? I thought X-Code was free

aMUSEd wrote:
Xenakios wrote:
Don't they? I thought X-Code was free
X-Code only works on OS-X...And OS-X only works on Macintosh computers. (Or well...There's the "other" option for that but unfortunately even that isn't available to me.)

Does this have any similarities to Paulstretch in terms of sound or technique or ability?

Architeuthis wrote:Does this have any similarities to Paulstretch in terms of sound or technique or ability?

Kind of, if you set it to Play Forward and then set the speed to the slowest setting and Fragment length to 1000 it gives the sample a "stretched" effect...kinda'

Architeuthis wrote:Does this have any similarities to Paulstretch in terms of sound or technique or ability?
Paul's stretcher works in the spectral domain, HourGlass works in the time domain, so the basic processing technique is very different.

HourGlass crashes immediately for me since the last versions including this one.
I noticed at Rekkerd.org it states Visual Studio runtime 2010 needs to be installed or something.
Is this the case?

Windows 7 32bit Home Premium
i7, Gigibit motherboard, 4Gb RAM
Creamware Pulsar soundcard

cheers
Matt
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:HourGlass crashes immediately for me since the last versions including this one.
I noticed at Rekkerd.org it states Visual Studio runtime 2010 needs to be installed or something.
Is this the case?

cheers
Matt
There's no need to install the Visual Studio runtime anymore. (The needed dlls are now in the .zip package.)

The crashes at start usually are because the settings ini-file is corrupted somehow (which is quite hard for me to debug but I guess I will have to do something about it) or PortAudio can't handle ASIO or Wasapi on your system.

The main ini-file is located somewhere like :

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Xenakios\HourGlass.ini

Try deleting that.

Alternative build of the PortAudio dll is in the PortAudio_NoAsioNoWasapi folder, try copying that over the portaudio dll that is in the HourGlass.exe directory.

This is great. Very useful. Thanks for your efforts!

Xenakios wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:HourGlass crashes immediately for me since the last versions including this one.
Is this the case?

cheers
Matt
There's no need to install the Visual Studio runtime anymore. (The needed dlls are now in the .zip package.)

The crashes at start usually are because the settings ini-file is corrupted somehow (which is quite hard for me to debug but I guess I will have to do something about it) or PortAudio can't handle ASIO or Wasapi on your system.

The main ini-file is located somewhere like :

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Xenakios\HourGlass.ini

Try deleting that.

Alternative build of the PortAudio dll is in the PortAudio_NoAsioNoWasapi folder, try copying that over the portaudio dll that is in the HourGlass.exe directory.
Thanks for the fast reply :D
Could be an older .ini file is still in there, Ill check later
So the default install doesnt require me to move any files anywhere?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”