Ohm Force plug-ins going 64bit

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

trimph1 wrote:There are loads of other effects that can be used that do not charge for upgrades/updates that are just as effective...just use those then.

Simples.
Oh, if only life were that simples...
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

aciddose wrote:actually since a x64 version on windows takes zero effort [...] they're just asking you to pay for their mistakes.
Is that so? Then we should have hired you long before, that would have prevent us doing any mistake. FYI we write 64-bit aware code as possible since the Ohm Force beginning (actually since J. Carmack insisted on the importance to prepare for 64 bits. He was talking about the Quake I code being 64-bit safe. It makes you feel your age).

— Laurent

well i should have pointed out more that this assumption was only one option out of several.

either:

- the code is poorly written and an investment was required to bring it up to x64 compatibility, the programmers didn't plan ahead and the company is not willing to accept responsibility for this

(this was the one i stated first)

- the code was well written, no significant investment was made, the programmers thought ahead and the company wants to gouge you on the price

- the code was written to be heavily targeted to a single platform, a large investment was required to add an additional platform, the programmers may or may not have handled this right (lots of variables involved here), the company is either being reasonable (there is a huge benefit for the customer) or not willing to accept the fact it committed to target specific platforms

the third is the best option assuming the programmers are not whacked.

every option is bad for the company's image. if the company is committed to heavily target specific platforms this should be an option with a portable naive implementation. the optional "turbo" version should be an upgrade.

without having a compatible naive implementation it makes the company seem very irresponsible. how on earth can you build a targeted implementation without a reference implementation? how do you define your standards?

there are additional things as well of course.

- externalities may impose a cost

for example copy protection licenses, content licenses, source code licenses and various other sorts of agreements.

this becomes a legal "didn't think ahead" issue. or perhaps when entering into the agreements it simply wasn't important to ensure protection from these sorts of situations.

could go on and on.

the standard exists though and apparently it isn't being met here.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote:well i should have pointed out more that this assumption was only one option.
I might sound like a broken record but the thing is that people assuming is part of the problem:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Assume

you're saying we've only assumed that there is a fee?

or is it that it's for a x64 version when the industry standard is assumed to be that there is no fee because the cost is very close to zero?

or is the fee zero an industry standard because we assume most other companies are doing us a huge favor, sort of like handing out free candy?

or have we assumed that the x64 plugins we own did not include a fee when they in fact did?

i agree. the problem is an assumption but i don't think it's any of these unless perhaps it's the first one.

i think the problem is actually that someone assumed it would be ok to charge for a x64 version when the industry standard is not to and assumed nobody would have any reason to be upset.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Resistance is futile, you will be assumilated.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

huh? i assumed everyone had been already.

:lol: :lol:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

What about OhMyGod for Computer Music Magazine readers? Will CM be offering the 64-bit version in future issues?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to preview different reverb algos and settings using the Melohman feature, without having to look at tiny GUI screens.

Let's say four (or more) lower keys select between ambience/room/hall/cavern, or anywhere in-between.

The rest of the keys selects presets and can morph between them.

Everything automatable with MIDI of course!

Then of course you have the mod wheel controls reverb time (+/- offsets) and the pitch bend can add chorus, expression pedal can increase density... hold pedal (or a keyswitch) can freeze the current settings and save it in the users folder... etc. :shock:

Jace-BeOS wrote:What about OhMyGod for Computer Music Magazine readers? Will CM be offering the 64-bit version in future issues?
For sure. Thank you for reminder ;-)

Yellow Force wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:What about OhMyGod for Computer Music Magazine readers? Will CM be offering the 64-bit version in future issues?
:oops:

c'est plutôt ambigü comme réponse...

(...ce serait cool cela dit, même si je devais prendre mes désirs pour des réalités j'en rêve déja !)

Krakatau wrote:
Yellow Force wrote:
:oops:

c'est plutôt ambigü comme réponse...

(...ce serait cool cela dit, même si je devais prendre mes désirs pour des réalités j'en rêve déja !)
Ah, je ne voulais pas être ambigu pourtant.
I mean we will provide to CM the 64-bit version. Something we've added to the tasks list. "Work work" :-)

That is great news. Thanks a lot force dudes.

Return to “Effects”