What are your favorite non-Valhalla reverbs, and why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:My go-to reverb, CSR Classik Studio Reverb is now available in the T-RackS Custom Shop. And it still sounds just as close to that immensely popular studio reverb from '91 or so. It hasn't changed and hasn't needed to (and neither has the original reverb unit.)
I had the demo of CSR once, but I lost the floppy disk.

Sean Costello

One of the best reverbs i have ever heard was when i was on a stag doo in Wales.
We all went Coasteering and as i jumped off into the Blue Lagoon ,while screeming like a little girl, i thought ...Wow that reverb was really,.....glug,glug... :!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJcj5kfTuME
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:My go-to reverb, yadda yadda yadda

VERY, VERY, VERY poor, but I did not expect anything alse from IK.
I am so glad that I have Vroom and could uninstall CSR and erase the installer...

A.M. Gold wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:Racquetball courts.
No. Wrong. This is, in fact, incorrect.

:D
Never tried to play an instrument in one, but my voice inside the one at work always sounded amazing to me. I couldn't believe how much tail there was for a relatively small space. I wasn't implying it would work for a string quartet, etc. though, or any kind of recording space.
I haven't sung in one, just clapped my hands in one (standard reverb nerd thing to do). The resulting sound has a TON of early flutter echos, and takes a lot longer to build to full density than I've ever heard in a room of this size. Which is totally due to the parallel surfaces w/o scattering objects.

On voice, it probably would sound great. Vocal signals tend not to have really hard transients to make the flutter echo show up, except for a few consonants. The flutter is widely enough spaced that any unpleasant audio resonances caused by it are in the very low frequency range. Kind of like turning the Diffusion control down on an algorithmic reverb - on voices and instruments without sharp transients, you can get away with this.

It's a pretty cool sound, to be sure, but it sounds like a real-life manifestation of a poorly raytraced reverb room. Kinda like being inside of a physics experiment.

Sean Costello

rasmusklump wrote:

I am so glad that I have Vroom and could uninstall CSR and erase the installer...
I use and enjoy both, just sayin'

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:My go-to reverb, CSR Classik Studio Reverb is now available in the T-RackS Custom Shop. And it still sounds just as close to that immensely popular studio reverb from '91 or so. It hasn't changed and hasn't needed to (and neither has the original reverb unit.)
+1 Best reverb ever. It is lush, it is pristine, no artifacts. Can be subtle or sound like a canyon.

Before it went x64, I was forced to try to find a substitute. Nothing worked. And I've got a ton of 'em. Some are too metallic, some unnecessarily color the signal with too much top end, or bottom end. Some are just impossible to tweak with any reliability.

The new x64 CSR sounds as good as ever. The presets are great starting points, and just slips right into the mix.

Very excited to have this one back in my projects.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

valhallasound wrote:
I had the demo of CSR once, but I lost the floppy disk.

Sean Costello
LOL. CSR is still an amazing reverb. Hell, the Arts Acoustic is a little long in the tooth and it's as good as any verb out there for a lot of things (as is Ariesverb). Now if only they'd get their asses in gear and finish that 64 bit port.

112db Redline Reverb. Sounds great, and such a nice little interface. Of course, the 64-bit thing is a problem but i use 32-bit Logic so I don't care at the moment.

rasmusklump wrote:

I initially resisted dropping names, but FYI, CSR was designed by the venerated Warp69, who is not only a master of reverse engineering the world's most coveted reverbs, but also creates some of them himself. :hail:

Like all of his work, it is anything but poor. And if you ever had the chance to compare it to the studio standard reverb it is based on (probably still the mostly widely used reverb in professional recording studios across the world), you would need some very golden ears indeed to tell them apart.

:smack:

I'll add that I've grown to like CSR. At first I wasn't big on it because I was more into reverbs with the wow factor. Big, lush etc. However I've found that CSR just works really well with many sound sources, not overwhelming it, but really giving it a nice sense of space. It gels with the sound, becoming one sound rather than dry + verb. I also like that it's light on cpu.

So with CSR, VRoom and Aether I feel pretty covered.

ArtsAcoustic. I like the GUI, the easy handling and features. It's IMO not a "expensive" sounding reverb or "like hardware" but it fits nice in the mix.
Problem is more that's not 64Bit and long time not updated so I use most of the time other reverbs.

4damind wrote:ArtsAcoustic. I like the GUI, the easy handling and features. It's IMO not a "expensive" sounding reverb or "like hardware" but it fits nice in the mix.
Problem is more that's not 64Bit and long time not updated so I use most of the time other reverbs.
it is suppose to come very soon...

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&start=30

...shall be much appreciated !

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:
rasmusklump wrote:

I initially resisted dropping names, but FYI, CSR was designed by the venerated Warp69, who is not only a master of reverse engineering the world's most coveted reverbs, but also creates some of them himself. :hail:

Like all of his work, it is anything but poor. And if you ever had the chance to compare it to the studio standard reverb it is based on (probably still the mostly widely used reverb in professional recording studios across the world), you would need some very golden ears indeed to tell them apart.

:smack:

He was saying your attitude was poor imo, not the plugin.

lolz

Back to verbs, I'm starting to really like "reflektor" much more than I use to. RP verb is terrific (but seems hard to use, I'll explain if anyone cares) and of course reverberate is a wonderful convo verb.

I'll have to think about the best example of a verb in a movie/musical context. Nothing just jumps out at me currently.

me? It's variverb because it's very good imo and part of my host which means less things to install. I dont use a ton of reverb to begin with, valhallasound would surely get more attention from me if variverb wasn't as good as it is but for now I'll stick with the one being used in more and more projects all the time.

No offense Sean, it has nothing to do with you :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Effects”