Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine: Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

weird to see not so many replies to this. lots (near 1000 posts) on gearslutz. I bought it. using it on my new album i'm mixing. (mixing into it with RC-Tube and a bit of Waves NLS) it's f*** awesome. I think I've achived a vibe with VTM. my mix is huge and warm. tried lots of things. experimented. changed my workflow, etc...

I dont know how they did it but they succeeded. TB ReelBus is still awesome. and Kramer Tape as well (I'm gonna use it more for the delay).

Plajia wrote:weird to see not so many replies to this. lots (near 1000 posts) on gearslutz. I bought it. using it on my new album i'm mixing. (mixing into it with RC-Tube and a bit of Waves NLS) it's f*** awesome. I think I've achived a vibe with VTM. my mix is huge and warm. tried lots of things. experimented. changed my workflow, etc...

I dont know how they did it but they succeeded. TB ReelBus is still awesome. and Kramer Tape as well (I'm gonna use it more for the delay).
I think we're all taped out after Roundtone and Reelbus!

electro wrote:Nebula tape sims can't be overdriven into high distorion like the algo based tape sims can, but they probably get the tone and characteristics more precise within that 6db Overdrive range.
how could that be if it's not dynamic response like the algo?

Plajia wrote:weird to see not so many replies to this. lots (near 1000 posts) on gearslutz. I bought it. using it on my new album i'm mixing. (mixing into it with RC-Tube and a bit of Waves NLS) it's f*** awesome. I think I've achived a vibe with VTM. my mix is huge and warm. tried lots of things. experimented. changed my workflow, etc...

You are using vcc and nls at the same time?
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:

You are using vcc and nls at the same time?
only on the master bus. I put RC-Tube (drive at 0) and NLS EMI (drive at 2) after it so its very subtle. just want to use the little low and mid nice boost from the NLS Emi. and after that I put VTM (input at 0)... and no need of bus comp anymore. ( I used to have SSL comp or the Vertigo VC2) its useless now. my mix is more glued than ever. I leave all final mastering compression, eq and limiting to the mastering engineer.

I heard Steven Slate saying something he will use two instance of VCC right after the other (at small dose) . so I tried it. seem to work.. dont forget I mix into all of that.so less processing overall. sounds great to my hear. and I have big songs. (6 minutes epic prog song with tons of synth, guitars, drums, vocals, etc..) some songs over 100 tracks. and Studio One 2. is a beast. never crash. workflow=heaven.

AudioGuy720 wrote:

I think we're all taped out after Roundtone and Reelbus!
I'm using roundtone since v1 and tried reelbus though imo they both don't play in the same league like VTM. I never used a real tape machine so I can't really determine which one is the best "tape emulation" (well I don't care much about that tape marketing shit anyway) though VTM does something to the sound that any other plugin I used before is lacking. If they had called it Virtual Unicorn magic I likely would still buy it :D
Of course it's no I-Win Button, if your mix sucks it will still suck with VTM though it can turn a decent mix into a great one (and I haven't even "mixed into" it yet!)
IMHO the best VST this year so far besides the ubk1.

Cheers,
Doc
http://soundcloud.com/daftndaze - Jungle, Drum'n'Bass and House productions - Feedback appreciated!
----
Want to save 10% on Fabfilter Plugins/Bundles?
Then PM me if you don't own any Fabfilter stuff yet!

Hi guys! What do you think is the best use of VTM on a mix?

1)One istance of VTM on every track, every bus, and on masterbus
2)One istance of VTM on every track and on masterbus
3)One istance of VTM on every bus and on masterbus

has there been an update on vtm since it came out? maybe to reduce cpu spikes?
Finally!

cyphersuit wrote:has there been an update on vtm since it came out? maybe to reduce cpu spikes?
no

spinlud wrote:Hi guys! What do you think is the best use of VTM on a mix?

Well the obvious answer is: It completely depends on the mix, type of song and what attitude you want to convey with the mix.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

For me the best is to use it on the stems I use for mastering and one instance on the master buss with master tape settings.
If there is not such different mastering stage and all is done in one project, this means the "submix" groups. So this are 4-6 VTM instances also if the project is very big.

If you can apply one instance to every channel and not have your CPU barf, then yes, by all means, that is the shniz.

I can not find the mail with the coupon from slate anymore... Any idea what the topic of that email was? You could get VTM for usd49 right now with the coupon, so any help would be much appreciated.
Finally!

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't believe the coupon works for this particular sale. Anybody know anything about this?
cyphersuit wrote:I can not find the mail with the coupon from slate anymore... Any idea what the topic of that email was? You could get VTM for usd49 right now with the coupon, so any help would be much appreciated.

cyphersuit wrote:I can not find the mail with the coupon from slate anymore... Any idea what the topic of that email was? You could get VTM for usd49 right now with the coupon, so any help would be much appreciated.
Try something like "Virtual Tape Machine Coupon". :)

I did some checking around. There's a guy on gearslutz who was able to use the coupon and did get a copy of VTM for $49. I'm guessing it's through the current special sale since the post was about ten hours ago as I write this.

At $99 it's still a fantastic price! But it would suck to pay double if people are getting it for half that with their coupons. At $49 it's beyond a no brainer!

Still wondering whether anyone else has heard about this and whether they've been successful at getting the $49 price. We have until Monday!

Anybody around here know anything about Slate Digital?

Return to “Effects”