Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine: Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have to recheck on my i7, but I didn't hit near as high CPU cycles as some of you describe. Maybe it's due to a v0.x version rather than v1. I remember similar happenings with VCC the day it was released.

Kaboom75 wrote: Insert VTM on each track set them all to group 1 and 2"16 machine type.
The VTM on the Master is not in the group set that to ½" 2 machine type.

VTMs proper place in the the track & Master

Tracks VTM / VCC / effects plugs

Master / VCC / VTM / FG-X = limiter last.

Turn mess with groups input knob Aim for 0 on the meter.
There is no "wrong" or "right" usage.
What you created is pretty much a "from track through console back to tape" chain. You can pretty much place it whereever you want.

Also, and this is one of the good things on software, you can link ton of 2-track machines rather than the 16-track machines. Your possibilities are limitless.

What I still find confusing and this is one of the downsides of this plugin, the (default) reference level of VTM is -15dB (RMS), not -18dB RMS. At least with sub-v1 versions. IIRC, it's still not fixed to work at -18 = 0VU. You definitely need a proper gain staging process to use the tape machine right in combination with VCC.

Oh and the 300ms ballistics for the VU seem to be MID, while VCC seems to be "low".
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Someday, the ilok 'gurus' will get their 'website' to work in something other than the least popular of the three dominant browsers (Internet Idiotplorer)...

Finally got the demo working.
Have to say it's got a bit of work to go (sample-dropping/buffer issues at 96khz) but otherwise sounds good. Prefer CDsoundmaster's VTMM2 for master, for individual tracks this might be my go-to one day, one they sort the teething issues and make it more affordable.

@Sly:

One thing I don't understand.. tape machines are some of the most varied sounding bunch of equipment that I have ever heard, even if the machine type is equal and tape brand is equal. Two virtually identical machines can TRULY sound and BEHAVE very differently.. we're not even talking subtle differences here. Heck, even a different batch of TAPE can sound, distort and behave differently to an earlier batch.

So, how on earth can you throw a bunch of generalized "hyped" (magic high frequency taming / anti-harshness) stuff that you are expecting? A few machines I've heard can actually sound quite nasty on a variety of material.

We have two Telefunken M15's at the studio.. both calibrated to be extremely subtle. Heck, I have no were near the power to properly overdrive the tape unless I run the incoming signal through some tube gear, using them as amplifiers. I've yet heard any "automatic" magic in the M15. It works on some tracks and on others it makes the fidelity worse.

Even the "stereo image" shuffling you mention can depend on how well maintained and aligned the tape heads are and the batch or brand of tape! You can even get unlucky and have the stereo image all wonky.

What I'm trying to say is: Tape machines are extremely complex and ALL sound very different! It is impossible to give them broad general hyped and "magic" terms.

In the end, when taking VTM as a product on it's own one can only conclude that it is very useful and sounds nice. Same goes for Toneboosters ReelBus. The more plugins I have that all vary significantly in sound, the happier I am.

@Slate and Fabrice:

Why not record some short loops to Howie's mastering machine, then duplicate the settings on the VTM and create a PROPER double blind test for the public. Double blind meaning that you have some person not related to Slate Digital in any way doing the actual recording and bouncing through the VTM and shuffling up the file names. Only this person should know the correct answers.

Then post these files on website, encourage people to actually use their REAL NAMES or known "nickname's" to do the blind test. Once you have, lets say, 2000 people who have done the blind test, then you can post the results and close the test. If this test gives any numbers between 30-70% correct/wrong then you know you've pretty much nailed it.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Oh one more thing worth mentioning to everybody:

Tape machines, due to their complex dynamic behavior, take TIME to learn. Don't expect to form an opinion about a machine until you have a fair number of hours of testing and using the thing. This is not a "slap it on a track and form an opinion within the first hour" kind of plugin. It takes quite a bit of patience and experimentation to find your own sweet spot and how to tackle the machine.

Try using EQs to "push" the machine in certain frequency areas, then use a post-tape EQ to level the frequency balance back to normal. Try using subtle expansion or transient enhancers before hitting the machine.. and make sure you play a lot with the input gain of the tape plugin.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: @Slate and Fabrice:

Why not record some short loops to Howie's mastering machine, then duplicate the settings on the VTM and create a PROPER double blind test for the public. Double blind meaning that you have some person not related to Slate Digital in any way doing the actual recording and bouncing through the VTM and shuffling up the file names. Only this person should know the correct answers.

Then post these files on website, encourage people to actually use their REAL NAMES or known "nickname's" to do the blind test. Once you have, lets say, 2000 people who have done the blind test, then you can post the results and close the test. If this test gives any numbers between 30-70% correct/wrong then you know you've pretty much nailed it.

Cheers!
bManic

Indeed I have to agree with you about Tape Machines being very varied sounding, that was one of our main conclusion when trying to deal with calibration and so on.

Each session was sounding different, and way more different when the same tape machine was calibrated by 2 different techs.

For the blind test experience, the hardest thing would be, like you pointed out, to get the perfect same calibration between the real tape and the VTM.

We "calibrated" the VTM algo after particular real tape listening and testing sessions that were carefully calibrated, so the tech would have to find the same calibration again, and the same recording level.

Even though we took care of getting the closer possible to a very straightforward configuration (D/A => Tape => A/D), we had to adjust the VTM internal calibration (i.e. -15dB, you can read the VTM manual about this topic) to make it more usable in a digital environment.

But this is definitely a good idea, I'm pretty sure Steven already has something like that in mind, I'll forward your post. :)

Fabrice

VTM vs Howie Weinberg's Tape Machine audio demos. http://www.slatedigital.com/vtmaudio

I have read on a few forums that this plug is magic and other questionable adjectives. Sometimes I think as musicians and engineers, particularly hobbyist like myself, we get too caught up in marketing hype. I hope this search for the holy grail plug doesn't take us too far from why we are here. I should probably shut down my internet for a few months and use any time I would have spent on the internet and spend it instead on my recording...that would help my sound more than any plug in!
Sam

ttoz wrote:i am curious Shy, many people rave about nebula, i will never bother with it, is it your opinion the tape on that is no good either? what about the uad?

so how much latency does this VTM actually produce?
If i can add my opinion..I praise Nebula a lot (for other things not for tapes)and you can see that in my post history but IMHO while i think VTM is nothing special and surely not worth that price when compared to cheaper alternatives - i think it is FAR better then Nebula tapes.

Fabrice provided people in that video some kernel examples. Ok he tested in on pure tones which is a bit odd i think but even so result is true.

It is beyond my mind how can anyone accept Nebula for Tape simulations. Whenever you drive it more it is farting like some crap from outer space, not like tape. It actually sound like sudden bursts of noise and silence. that's exactly what you hear in fabrice video.

I don't get it with nebula. It's like "ohhh here is new nebula tape library but you know it is calibrated only for -18dbfs" :? and if you gain stage things properly ok effect is there but in the long run it is so subtle it's not worth it. If you by any chance drive it more it will poo on everything you put inside.

Slate VTM won't.

There i said it. I assume army of Nebula lovers will attack me.

But that's my experience with Nebula tapes.

Not attacking you but it's obvious you don't know how use Nebula.
Gain staging is important when using any & every plugin, it's calibrated for -18dbfs, a normal standard.

P.S. AlexB's new Tape programs have a saturation/ drive feature that works great.

i've been working on a mix all afternoon with VTM and not only did it make it easier to get sounds where i wanted them but when i turned it off i was astounded to hear all the depth and cohesion i'd been enjoying melt away.

this is a seriously good plugin.

samscasa wrote:I have read on a few forums that this plug is magic and other questionable adjectives. Sometimes I think as musicians and engineers, particularly hobbyist like myself, we get too caught up in marketing hype. I hope this search for the holy grail plug doesn't take us too far from why we are here. I should probably shut down my internet for a few months and use any time I would have spent on the internet and spend it instead on my recording...that would help my sound more than any plug in!
Good points. I'm not knocking this plug or any other, but none of them are going to write a good song for you. Just my two cents, back to the discussion.

metamorphosis wrote:Someday, the ilok 'gurus' will get their 'website' to work in something other than the least popular of the three dominant browsers (Internet Idiotplorer)...
Firefox Portable v3.x still works. It's how I manage my iLok 2 licenses.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

bmanic wrote:Oh one more thing worth mentioning to everybody:

Tape machines, due to their complex dynamic behavior, take TIME to learn. Don't expect to form an opinion about a machine until you have a fair number of hours of testing and using the thing. This is not a "slap it on a track and form an opinion within the first hour" kind of plugin. It takes quite a bit of patience and experimentation to find your own sweet spot and how to tackle the machine.

Try using EQs to "push" the machine in certain frequency areas, then use a post-tape EQ to level the frequency balance back to normal. Try using subtle expansion or transient enhancers before hitting the machine.. and make sure you play a lot with the input gain of the tape plugin.

Cheers!
bManic
bmanic Sir.
Your post is a great example of someone who has an understanding of the subject, it shows experience and maturity. Your reply is just spot on. I read constantly responses of members in which they are talking and discussing things they never saw, even at google-pictures.
I take my hat off.
@Slate team
Congratulations!. Will try the demo soon.

audiosabre wrote:
ttoz wrote:so how much latency does this VTM actually produce?
Here it reports 39.21ms/1729 samples latency.
OUCH! f**k that!

Return to “Effects”