Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machine: Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chokehold wrote:If I get one more f*cking eMail from Slate about this thing in the next days, I'm going to mark them all as spam. 4 alone TODAY!
unsubscribe

It needs a lot of resources but sounds more pleasing than Kramer MPX.

4damind wrote:It needs a lot of resources but sounds more pleasing than Kramer MPX.
Yeah that is definitely!

I've never understood what is so special about MPX. It is sounding like a mushymushy highly harsh effect. Too generic at low input - to harsh on high input.

VTM is definitely better.

First impression is that VTM is outstanding :D

Got my CPU and latencey setting right down by deleting the send / return tracks and using Echoboy and Decapitator efffects on the instrument tracks. This reduces the amout of tracks / VCC and VTMs needed. No need for Decapitator on every track with VCC and VTM on each already.

Just tried it on a dance music mix it makes it sound far better more dynamic more exciting way more punch and dynamics in the bass and arps everything sounds like it's cutting through the music doesn't sound shy anymore I feel like im in a more 3d space. Thats if you tailor each VTM to each instrument.

On the Rock music song I did it gave it that sort of sound, Whitesnake 87 album had dont know how to describe it but it adds it.

Baught it I will live on water for a few weeks.

CPU usage trivial here, but the level of latency makes it unusable for tracking.
"Time makes fools of us all. Our only comfort is that greater shall come after us." Eric Temple Bell

http://thetomorrowfile.bandcamp.com/

Nice software but I still prefer a combo of Nebula & ReelBus

Lenticular wrote:Nice software but I still prefer a combo of Nebula & ReelBus
What program do you use in Nebula ? R2R ? do you mean : Nebula AND (TB)ReelBus ?
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Trying the demo now, sounds good so far ... Still need to test more but might end up buying it soon :-o
First things I noticed that I really like how the noise sounds in this tape plug-in. So far it's the most realistic analog noise I've heard in a plug-in (I have Waves MPX and Reelbus and Roundtone)
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

Lenticular wrote:
chokehold wrote:If I get one more f*cking eMail from Slate about this thing in the next days, I'm going to mark them all as spam. 4 alone TODAY!
unsubscribe
ORLY?
I subscribed to a newsletter, not a spam generator.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Shy wrote:The emulated tape frequency response (with the second tape type) is very accurate, but it just matches a good old EQ preset I made (for PEQ Blue) based on a Telefunken M15 almost perfectly.
There's no "widening" side-effect as on real tape at all. There's no harshness taming side-effect. The saturation is basic and unlike real tape saturation, no "smearing" and no "airy" compressor/limiter-like side-effect, and there's a "linear" response of the saturation instead of an accurate response (same problem in your tube emulator, not to mention the harmonics are very different).
What you say is very interesting, still, I show exactly the opposite in the tech video we made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tXM#t=257s

You can clearly see that both for the tape and the VTM, you actually have this harshness taming effect, and you can clearly experience the high frequency compression effect when you raise the input with the output gain linked.

It's very simple to experience :
  • Process a mix with the VTM at so the VU needle is peaking around -6dB or less
  • Raise the input gain with linked output gain gradually
  • Until the needle reaches 0dB VU or more
  • Try the High bias setting if it's not sufficiently obvious
As for the widening effect, I'd be curious to know how you did measure or hear that on a real tape and on the VTM.

This aspect of tape was precisely reproduced in the VTM.

Shy wrote:Fabrice, you can talk about saturation behavior with continuous basic waveforms, but you know that's uninteresting compared to the other effects I mentioned
In the tech video, the purpose is indeed to explain some aspects of the tape that we can actually show in easy to understand curves.

I think it's already pretty interesting, because we show what we did compared to the real tape machine, and which are the areas where other products was not as accurate as we wanted to be for the VTM.

Most people does not have the chance to be able to work with real tapes, that's why we wanted to explain and compare clear and simple situations.

Shy wrote:which are what really defines "tape sound", not to mention that your saturation doesn't respond like the real machine at different frequency ranges either.
It does... I'd be curious to know which real tapes did you analyzed already, and how you compared it to the VTM.

Shy wrote:You don't have anything even close to a proper tape emulation, just a nice basic special effect.
Well, you're absolutely free have your thoughts and to express them, which is fair.
On my side, I actually show a few things in a video with very precise examples, real life tests that can easily be verified independently, which is also, IMO, pretty fair.

Shy wrote:I may spoil the fun for someone (who may feel obliged to make a personal attack, as is usual), but I'm not gonna join the imminent choir, since I care about authenticity just like you but the difference is that I don't have a product to sell and I don't have to focus on merely a couple of effects related to this kind of emulation, but on -all- of them, including the more important ones.
That's great to care about authenticity !!
That's why I'd be more than happy to learn from what you actually experienced, with more details and real life examples.
I don't set the things I believe to know as static, I believe that life should be eternally a learning experience.

I would understand that it's not your role and/or your goals, since you seem to already have some effects to achieve what you need.

Fabrice

Great explanations Fabrice and keep up the amazing work! I think you have another winner in your hands!
circuit modeling and 0-dfb filters are cool

i am curious Shy, many people rave about nebula, i will never bother with it, is it your opinion the tape on that is no good either? what about the uad?

so how much latency does this VTM actually produce?

ttoz wrote:so how much latency does this VTM actually produce?
Here it reports 39.21ms/1729 samples latency.

Thanks Fabrice to comment some stuff!

Return to “Effects”