New from Sonimus - Sweetone

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

paul psilas wrote:Not on form today are we Compyfox?
Depends on what form we're talking about.

paul psilas wrote: You also forgot the 'Elysia Niveau Filter' which while not called a 'tilt' eq it is exactly that......a tilt eq and a very nice one it is too.

The Elysia also has the variable 'tilt' frequency that you mentioned.
I have to object here. It is somewhat a "tilt" EQ, and yes in this case I have forgotten it (you doN't have any idea how many plugins I have in my head), but not like the Tonelux design. It's a bit more complicated than that, and it's not a clean shelf either. Try it for yourself in C.Budde's Plugin Analyser. It's been a while since I've used it-

paul psilas wrote: As for the Softube version,I found it very smooth and warm but decided not to buy it when I discovered I could get almost exactly the same results from the Nomad British EQ.
er... Nomad British EQ is a completely different concept. If you only use the "shelving EQ's" (which have fixed positions declared by the multi-setting poti), then yes, you could get similar results. But it's not a tilt EQ.

paul psilas wrote: As you rightly state Compyfox,theres no magic to a tilt EQ,its just quicker to get the results using a tilt than it would using a full blown EQ.
I disagree here. Tilt EQs are for broad "corrections" and/or minor finetuning. Much like Baxendall EQ's. They are (IMO) by no means equal to full blown parametric EQs. I'd only use them in an M/S environment where I might need a shift of the signal or a gentle boost here and there. Else I wouldn't use them.

paul psilas wrote:ps.You are forgiven :hihi:
Woha... is the mess over already?

audiosabre wrote:I really like the look of this and I love the filters that this guy codes.
You do realise that most of the HP/LP stuff is basic Butterworth/Chebichev filters and therefore nothing special?

audiosabre wrote: So great products, not so good support. Fast response on the initial report. After that I'd waited months for replies, and even been given false hope with the 1.2 update. I geniunely believed it would be fixed at that point.

I'm really not trying to badmouth these guys. Small outfit doing great things. But like so many small outfits the support is sot so stellar. I wish I could be singing praises right now... :help:

Sorry for the slightly OT, but I need to get this off my chest...

This is some important valuable input. I still remember the "drama" back here on KVR with SATSON and then SonEQ. I'd take all this with a grain of salt and be cautious to no end. Too many firms out there that promise the blue from the sky (not mentioning names, you know who you are). So yes, I agree with ttoz in terms of the demo as well.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

You can do some nice one-knob tilting in DMG equality by using the tilt preset (or your own), but you need to manually set the control linking each time. You put one shelf in the "group" and the other in the "anti-group," and they will change inversely to one another. You can save the tilted curve as a preset or in a host session, but the control linking isn't saved or restored.

Oh, something I can spend my little pay pal balance on maybe? :hyper:

Will demo later.

:lol: hibidy, you won't demo it. Either you buy it, or have a banana. :lol:

I'm having a banana. And about to watch some Star Trek and go catch the dreamcatcher.

Also, Niveau Filter works quite well for the job of tilting. I don't think I need anything more. Glue some nice saturation plugin from Variety of Sound to it and you have a complete Tilt emulation... baaah I'm tired of this whole emulation bazoongah. Just buy an external console, a channel of some kind, too, and forget about it. There are fine consoles for 400-500 butchas, and channels with comp+EQ for about the same price. Then all you have to do is extensively use Reaper's "hardware VST" plugin ReaInsert and so long emulations. They won't get there before quantum computers are out anyway, and I don't have so much time at hand. :lol:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Good to see the, eh, discussion continues.

I too remember 'drama' around another Sonimus thread but I remember most of the drama coming from certain posters rather than the dev/company - good old internet.

No demo and no refunds is indeed a bit of an unusual approach, I like their products a lot but I too question why they do it this way. Hey-ho, you pays your money (or not) and you takes your choice. It seems that the dev doesn't post here any more, just on GS so if anyone has anything to say to him, there might be a better place. And for balance, support has always got back to me straight away; different people, different experiences.

What I like about Sonimus stuff is ease of use, sweet filters (you can tell me that they're just 'basic' filters if you want but something about them just sounds sweet to me), extremely low CPU and the fact that used wisely, they just make stuff sound good, which is what i value most in FX.

So that's :tu: from me but to use one of those wonderful car analogies, YMMV.

Oh, I get it now. That sucks.

Well then, I posted here for nothing. Sorry guys :cry:
Last edited by hibidy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Butterworth and Chebichev filters may be basic, but there aren't any better ones. :lol: I find that a moot point.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Compyfox said....

er... Nomad British EQ is a completely different concept. If you only use the "shelving EQ's" (which have fixed positions declared by the multi-setting poti), then yes, you could get similar results. But it's not a tilt EQ.

When I say 'same results' I mean just that,ie results = sound!

I'm fully aware of what the British EQ is (supposed Neve emulation but more than likely a re-issue of the plagiarized EMI chandler EQ that Nomad were forced to remove from sale).

Whether its with a tilt EQ or parametric or shelving EQ is irrelevant,while the operation and execution maybe different,the final sonic results can be similar.
(Note I have written 'similar' not 'identical')

I had to manipulate multiple bands of the Nomad to achieve a similar sonic signature to the Tonelux but,the final 'sonic' quality was very 'similar'.

You are right in stating that a tilt eq is not primarily for surgical operations but more a sweetening,'wide band tidying' type of processor.However,both the Tonelux and this new Sweet tone can also be used as a warming/colouring tool due to the saturation emulation.

Now the battle is over Compyfox :hihi: .........or is it!

The Tilt transformer modeling harmonics are pretty low, even at very low frequencies where they are their highest. Tilt Live does not have the transformer modeling. This page shows the curves that were emulated in the plug-in. I seem to remember that it is one filter, rather than two shelves. I've been able to make single shelf curves like this. Also note that it's not a linear tilt and plateaus below 100 and above 10K.

http://www.tonelux.com/mp1info.html

samsam wrote:...It seems that the dev doesn't post here any more, just on GS so if anyone has anything to say to him, there might be a better place. ...
He thinks that KVR is a kindergarden, and he's not that responsive on GS either. I admire a bit of arrogance, but not constantly.

DuX wrote:Butterworth and Chebichev filters may be basic, but there aren't any better ones. :lol: I find that a moot point.
Indeed - the thing is, that the main selling point of half of the Sonimus tools are "off the world sounding filters" - but you can tune filters from x-plugin yourself and get the same result. There is no magic behind it.

paul psilas wrote:I'm fully aware of what the British EQ is (supposed Neve emulation but more than likely a re-issue of the plagiarized EMI chandler EQ that Nomad were forced to remove from sale).
No, the British EQ is a Neve 1081 (it's even hinted at in the info page of the plugin). The specs are similar to the original module. They had to drop the EMI one due to copyright issues, which is Abbey Road's/EMI Chandlers right to do so (look at TAL USEq, the developers didn't like the association with "tilt", so the dev renamed it). Nomad however ported one EMI/Siemens/Abbey Road design which was also used in their REDD.51 console: the ANTEC.

How good of an emulation the British EQ is, lies within the eyes of the beholder.

paul psilas wrote: Whether its with a tilt EQ or parametric or shelving EQ is irrelevant,while the operation and execution maybe different,the final sonic results can be similar.
(Note I have written 'similar' not 'identical')
No doubt about that.

paul psilas wrote: You are right in stating that a tilt eq is not primarily for surgical operations but more a sweetening,'wide band tidying' type of processor.However,both the Tonelux and this new Sweet tone can also be used as a warming/colouring tool due to the saturation emulation.
I find a different use just as suitable: compensation of lost frequencies while transfering from tape to tape. Subtle EQ can fix the frequency loss in the upper frequencies while compensating the lowend boost.

paul psilas wrote: Now the battle is over Compyfox :hihi: .........or is it!
Hm... A8, hit?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

compyfox in hell:

"you are limited to one quote and a two lined sentence to answer :hihi:

(hoping I'm not in too much trouble :oops: )

DuX wrote:Butterworth and Chebichev filters may be basic, but there aren't any better ones. :lol: I find that a moot point.
Yeah but their implementation is not always same :?

Freq. dependencies, curve shaping, etc.etc. Yes you can most likely copy freq curve of one great sounding digital EQ with another but the point is: are you really so damn stupid to test some EQ and found that you can get very good results instantly - and then to waste time in copying that same curve with your another favorite EQ which most likely need to use more EQ bands to copy original EQ in the first place.

Seems like a workflow killer to me. For that reason i would better buy that plugin which is giving me instant good results and just use it without thinking "oh...i could just copy that freq. crve with 5 band parametric eq.."..

Mr compyfox, I know what it is exactly, I wanted it for when there is too much energy in the hi hats section of a drum loop which i quickly wanted to balance back, etc, etc. Thing is I did just this with the EQ, but there is a button called blow, which adds some deep warm end to the lows, and a another button you can flick called sweet and loud, and when you change between the two and shift the filters about with the blow button engaged, thats why I wrote what about the drums. Sure thing, its a tilt EQ for general stuff such as balancing the overall tone out of individual tracks in a mix, which I wanted it for anyway, I dont remember saying it was surgical in anyway??. So i would have been happy with it the way it was for £16, but when you factor in what those little switches can do and the difference of tones you can get, and then drive it into the preamp section, I think you might change your mind about it. True, its nothing new, but I happen to seriously like it, especially for £16. Ive got to work for 2 hours now and when Ive done Ill post a few audio examples up and you can make your own mind up. :)

right, i am in the process of uploading a few demos so the link will be posted shortly.

lingyai wrote:I'd be surprised... Not many vendors seem to accept PDF payments anymore

:hihi: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”