Dust Equalizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Crappy old laptop 2ghz celeron, win xp sp3 and latest Reaper, runs fine ;)

miedex wrote:
mystran wrote:Is this every time the GUI opens or just the first time?
Every time.
I think I can optimize this at least somewhat. I already replaced the font loading with Freetype (to improve quality.. not released yet though), so I'm not sure how slow the supposedly slow Win32 APIs were... but...

It seems that currently on my desktop (i7-2600k, so this is fast CPU) system I'm spending about 125ms(!) loading the image data. It further breaks down to about 115ms of PNG decoding (apparently the lib I'm using isn't really that fast) and 10ms of shuffling around data. Considering the CPU difference, I guess that could take from half a second up on an Atom, and obviously it's totally pointless to do it every time the GUI is opened.

It'll take me some shuffling around in the codebase to fix this non-sense, but it's on TODO list now. I guess it's worth the trouble for faster CPUs too. On top of that might come random OpenGL related delays, but at least I should be able to speed it up somewhat. :)

Uploaded 1.0.4:

- now uses FreeType (for font quality; might load faster too)
- changed font to an embedded Vera Sans (works better with my renderer)
- no longer relies on system having the Verdana typeface
- added image caching (editor should open faster after first time)
- checks whether CPU supports SSE2 (fails "gracefully" if not)

I get a white blank gui and an OpenGL error.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:I get a white blank gui and an OpenGL error.
What kind of an OpenGL error?

Looks like your popup-says

multitexturing with texture-env-combine not support by OpenGl.
Some very old hardware doesn't support this feature.
Otherwise, if you're running the latest drivers...etc

This is in Savihost, white blank gui, but running the mouse over the controls makes a little hand icon. The popup repeats over and over until I close the whole instance.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

RunBeerRun wrote:Looks like your popup-says

multitexturing with texture-env-combine not support by OpenGl.
Some very old hardware doesn't support this feature.
Otherwise, if you're running the latest drivers...etc

This is in Savihost, white blank gui, but running the mouse over the controls makes a little hand icon. The popup repeats over and over until I close the whole instance.
Oh.. I see.. popup repearting is a bug accidentally introduced in the latest version, terribly sorry about that. (fix one, add one.. urgh)

As for the actual error.. x1200 should support texture-env-combine in hardware, so it's likely there is some problem with your display drivers, ie OpenGL driver missing, or something.. IIRC some laptops didn't ship with one back in the days when x1200 was current.. I remember having some trouble myself with my x1300 a few years back. You might want to try downloading the ATI legacy drivers, but unfortunately I can't promise those will work, nor will I take any responsibility if it causes further trouble... :?

Anyway, it sounds like you essentially have a situation of "no OpenGL" (except what the Windows built-in mini-driver provides, which is practically useless), and unfortunately there's not a whole lot that can be done, except find a working driver.

1.0.5: now complains about OpenGL features exactly once (and will draw black window if OpenGL fails).

I'll see if I can add some basic software fall-back at some point, but that's probably going to be in the weeks/months timeframe. Until then working OpenGL is required I'm afraid.

Oh and in case someone's wondering: no, I'm not doing OpenGL just for the purpose of this particular plugin.. I want to do some stuff in the future that isn't realistic with software rendering, so I want this stuff working... I have to admit though, that I didn't realize it would be so troublesome.

I will help test it!! But I doubt I will encounter any rendering problems, seeing as I don't use windows themes.

Dust Equalizer v1.0.1 is working just fine here on two machines, Both a laptop and a desktop. Each are running Windows 7 Home Premium OS. Between both checked inside these hosts:

Ableton Live 8
Sony Sound Forge Pro 10
Magix Samplitude Pro X (Demo)
REAPER 4
Alien Connections ReValver Mk II (hosted in the standalone version)
EnergyXT (hosted inside the plug-in version and standalone)
Tobybear MiniHost
Renoise 2
Buzz

Bit-Bridged:

Magix Samplitude Pro X (Demo)
REAPER 4
Cakewalk SONAR 8
Cakewalk SONAR X1

A side note if it matters one bit: Although I have yet to try it, If a VST plug-in (not instrument) runs just fine in those two then via FXpansion's VST to RTAS Adaptor 2 tends to work wrapped inside Pro Tools 7, 8 and 9 FWIW.
If you care I will check and let you know

Thanks for another really useful plug-in mystran, Like your own take on the low and high shelving filters and the Q/Gain interaction. Shall be keeping this one for sure, Cheers

All the best to all as always :)

Dean

1.5 is working out good. The slow loading only happens on the first load now.
miedex

Uploaded: 1.0.5.1

This is identical to 1.0.5 in pretty much every way... except... it comes with an experimental 64-bit build.

Can you explain the rationale behind the asymmetric shelf design?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:Can you explain the rationale behind the asymmetric shelf design?
There is no rationale.. that's why it's called design. ;)

edit: ok, slightly more explanation.. first of all there is no real rationale for the traditional symmetric shelves either, except they make the math a bit more simple (and symmetric, obviously)...

Secondly, I like gradual shelves for general tonal shaping, but I don't like the way traditional gradual shelves then have a significant effect on mid-frequencies. Hence a design that is steep on one side, gradual on one side.

It should be noted that apparently there are old analog designs that are even MORE asymmetric, to the point that they cause an actual (slightly) boost peak when cutting, or a dip when boosting... I didn't like that though, so I set it to more or less as fat as possible (it's not scientifically set IIRC; rather just tuned to taste).
Last edited by mystran on Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”