Amplitube force installing drivers unnecessarily? why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Does it bother you that IK Amplitube Installs Hardware Drivers without any warning or option not to?

I use the software only, so yes.
43%
I use IK Amp related hardware, so no.
No votes
I use either/or but i don't care
22%
I do not use IK amplitube or anything related BECAUSE of this issue
18%
I don't use anything from IK for unrelated reasons
10%
Perfect anonymous opportunity to say.. I really do hate you TheoM
7%

Total votes: 60

RELATED
PRODUCTS

bk wrote:I voted "yes, it bothers me", but frankly, I didn't realize it did that. Line 6 does something similar, but allows you to opt out during install.
That's fine.. an option is all I ask. Untick.

For the months that have been dragging out, IK nor anyone here has been able to give me one compelling reason (or reason at all), why i would want system kext kernel drivers on my system which i will never ever use, as i only want to use amplitude over a guitar vsti as a software plugin.

I am a bit disappointed with IK's absence on this topic, so let's keep it bumped, and voting, and take a stand.

Furthermore, as i said, i had no idea (just like you) that it did that. I happened to be doing a fresh install anyway as the system was getting out of control with junk and demos, but since then i haven't re installed it because of this. Maybe they should provide a disclaimer or warning?

I am not happy i can't use the software i paid for, not at all. Nor that there are 280 custom shop points i can't use for amplitube gear as i no longer have it installed.

TheoM wrote:I am a bit disappointed with IK's absence on this topic, so let's keep it bumped, and voting, and take a stand.
Not absent. Anonymous. There were those two 'hate' votes. And two regular IK personnel on KVR. A coincidence? You decide. ;-)

Full disclosure: I voted for 'not installing IK because of this issue' - I still use my old skool IK plugins, but if I migrate to a new system, well then there's a horrible dilemma that IK support will have to unravel - how I get to use the plugins I paid for without their adware/spyware code.

PS - If there was an option for 'Perfect anonymous opportunity to say.. I really do love you TheoM and IK stealth installs suck' I would have voted for that. Anonymously. Uh...oopsie. :hihi:
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

There is no way they would do the hate votes mate. That was an original "fish" to give certain people the opp to vent steam that really do hate me,. I already know who they are IMO. I expect there will be around 8 in total.. if they happen to read the topic, of course.. There's a certain bunch, 2 in particular, who intensely dislike me. 2.. see? :wink:

All good.

Oh, i get along very well with Brian, Obik, and most especially, Peter.

I have absolutely no intentions from this topic by the way, to be "bashing" IK. I hope no one got that impression. :oops:
i DO disagree with some of their policies, but hey, i am human and so are they, and i have tons of respect for the reps here at KVR for what they sometimes have to put up with. The goal of this was that hopefully one of them would take the figures to the guy or gal that CAN make the order to change this particular amplitube situation :)

Oh and yeah, i rave about so many IK plugins, believe me.. not a hater here. LOVE the sound of amplitube and the ergonomic usability, and absolutely can not say enough good stuff about the top tier T racks package. The Ik White is my favourite LA2A plug of all time, although i do prefer softube FET to their 1176, (but it;s still cool), LOVE the opto comp, and their fairchild is the only plug in fairchild so fat that has nailed it TBH IMHO. The clipper is great, and i could pretty much find a use for all the plugins included, although i do have preferable alternative options in some of the areas, for example, EQ. I really have a new found love of the limiter, and i think the SSL bus comp might be my favourite so far. I am on a thin line choosing between it and the Glue. But it is class all the way.. just top shelf stuff.

IK make great sounding plugins, there is no doubt about it. The only one i could honestly say i actually dislike, no matter how hard i try to change the situation, is CSR. I even like sampletank (L O V E sampletron), and wish there was a 64 bits :) but we all know it's a coming.

cosmosis wrote:
I avoid dev/company bashing
I did read all of your post of course and it was much appreciated and valuable. I only quoted the above little bit just to say i really hope you do not think i was doing that in this case :oops:

That was the one thing with your post i was not quite sure about, whether you thought i was or wasn't doing that.

Nooo no, you're good and raised some good points.

When something doesn't work for me, I usually just move along and I know IK will surive fine without me. I know my opinion about this kind of things don't carry much weight, as I'd like to think I'm not an average consumer, but sometimes if you never speak your mind, your opinion will never be heard? So what's a guy like me to do? I guess just pop in once in a while in discussions like this. Also I'm not famous for my eloquence, good English or coherent trains of thought :oops:

BTW, I still love the 3.0 era Amplitubes, including Hendrix and Fender 8)
It's

I have the Stealth Pedal which I rarely use. In system->kexts there is additionally 'StompIO' driver installed.
It seems normal to have this as optional in an installer. But I don't know how having these as startup, .kext is negatively impacting me. If I did I would be irritated by it.

As it is, there are issues here with IK (until I pointed them out it really looked like they had never considered VE Pro as host, including a(n) - inappropriate? - response here after they changed the internal ID [T-Racks singles] so that every template I had using those vacated them) that make me think more than twice about investing in their plugs. But I'm someone to just get on with my life. My vote? either/or, don't care.

wow whenever this leaves the front page it gets no votes but it gets like 20 whilst on it. I guess front page is king. I don't like to bump overbearingly but will do it now and then till say around 80 votes.

47 votes only.. yet other ik topics can go to hundreds of pages.. or at least nearly 100, with contempt for the support team, the CS, etc.. and here right now is a poll addressing one of the specific issues of "installing stuff we don't want or need" and it's dying. :(

TheoM wrote:47 votes only.. yet other ik topics can go to hundreds of pages.. or at least nearly 100, with contempt for the support team, the CS, etc.. and here right now is a poll addressing one of the specific issues of "installing stuff we don't want or need" and it's dying. :(
While we were asked to step out of the voting process and have not commented much if at all, you know that I've told you privately that I do view the thread and have relayed the request and feelings of users toward this. It was actually a change made based on user requests way back to be this way, but the request to change it back is definitely considered and not ignored if that is the way our user base feels today. I can't make any promises, and you of all people seem to understand that, but I wanted the thread followers to also be aware that we as a company do not ignore these requests. I apologize if the contempt threads don't exactly make a presence here feel welcomed (or effective) though for the most part I do realize that a presence here is both of those things for the most part. And I do believe a majority realize we do listen and have made changes (some VERY recently) based on user input.

I'm hoping that this reply doesn't start a contemptathon or send the thread OT, as I will have to apologize again if so. I do hope that Theo's request to stay on topic is honored and that I understand where the constructive feedback - even when off topic - is coming from, and I do my best to make requests heard.

I appreciate that Peter.. I am surprised to read.. to say the least.. that users *wanted* it this way.. rather than downloading a driver for example..

Maybe your HARDWARE users wanted it this way, but not a single one of them has voted here (notice the 0 votes). The votes may be small but the percentage is in favour of the poll question so far.

Anyway you can see here there are some people who are not using amplitube *because* of this (including myself and how i voted) and i'd really like to use the software again.

I still maintain recompiling an installer to make those hardware drivers optional is not a big deal and could be doen regardless or even just make a seconds installer.. leave the current one the way it is.. "software only - no hardware drivers". Problem solved. Give the user a download choice.

another bump, it's been a while.. i haven't heard of any change being made, and i still ant to use my amplitube 3 and spend my dormant gear credits.. so.. come on IK!

surely it's a fair request..!

My new system is about to jump on the UPS truck for delivery in the next couple of days. Amplitube CS is something that I was going to install rather early on but now after seeing this thread I'm a bit cautious.

So exactly what does it install and what possible malware does it contain ? I'd like an IK rep to answer if possible...... :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

It doesn't install any malware, you have an option to install QuickTime (only used for the Standalone not the plugin, and for audio import) and what is being discussed here are the drivers for StealthPedal/StompIO control. For more in-depth information, you can contact our technical staff here and they'll gladly give any more details for you: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support

it's not malware, just unnecessary hardware drivers for people using the software only. It's like installing an ilok driver on someone's system who'd never use an ilok. Really, that's a perfect analogy.

New from IKMM ;

" Bloatware Racks"

:smack:
Financial solvency and KVR Mix as well as oil and water.

Return to “Effects”