Amplitube force installing drivers unnecessarily? why?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion

Does it bother you that IK Amplitube Installs Hardware Drivers without any warning or option not to?

I use the software only, so yes.
43%
I use IK Amp related hardware, so no.
No votes
I use either/or but i don't care
22%
I do not use IK amplitube or anything related BECAUSE of this issue
18%
I don't use anything from IK for unrelated reasons
10%
Perfect anonymous opportunity to say.. I really do hate you TheoM
7%

Total votes: 60

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't often use my old IK stuff these days, and I don't believe that it installed any drivers when I put it on my system, but I would like to add to this discussion that Native instruments installs drivers for no reason in many of it's installers' I don't especially care as it has caused no problems, but I feel it should be mentioned so it doesn't seem like IK are the only people doing this. I currently have an NI hardware service running on my system and have for god knows how long. The most recent sample library I downloaded from their website also installed a virtual drive program along with an associated driver for some reason. I personally could care less if it causes no issues.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

NI had an option not to install hardware drivers last time i installed them :shrug:

but even so if i am wrong, they would definitely be the only two doing it.

I can guarantee that amplitube DOES install drivers on your system. Stealth Pedal and Stomp Io ones.

I checked the "don't care" option. So much stuff installs whatever wherever that I can't be bothered. I'd love to live in a world where everything was JUST RIGHT, but it's not realistic. In a way it makes sense that stuff would be installed.

Yeah, I'm bored tonight Theo, I felt the need to post here, sorry.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:It doesn't install any malware, you have an option to install QuickTime (only used for the Standalone not the plugin, and for audio import) and what is being discussed here are the drivers for StealthPedal/StompIO control. For more in-depth information, you can contact our technical staff here and they'll gladly give any more details for you: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support
Ok thanks. I'm not that concerned about extra drivers as long as they don't effect system stability. But what was this all about ? :
what is the sonik1 and google analytics the amplitube custom shop asks to connect through?

-------
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:It doesn't install any malware, you have an option to install QuickTime (only used for the Standalone not the plugin, and for audio import) and what is being discussed here are the drivers for StealthPedal/StompIO control. For more in-depth information, you can contact our technical staff here and they'll gladly give any more details for you: http://www.ikmultimedia.com/support
Ok thanks. I'm not that concerned about extra drivers as long as they don't effect system stability. But what was this all about ? :
what is the sonik1 and google analytics the amplitube custom shop asks to connect through?

-------
Note how old that post is... There's no sonik1 for a long while (it was an internal analytics tool, just like nearly every web site or web-enabled app would use to help understand customer behavior which actually HELPS us bring you all more of what you like, etc) and Google Analytics is perhaps the most widely-used analytics again on nearly every web site or web-enabled app and we went with that for our analytics. It is all covered, including any opt-out opportunities available to you as we do follow every regulation and are 100% legit on all fronts, in our Privacy Policy.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I feel like I can install Amplitube CS without fear now....the extra drivers don't bother me but it would be nice to have the option not to install them. I doubt I'll ever be a Stomp I/O hardware owner......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:Ok thanks for the clarification. I feel like I can install Amplitube CS without fear now....the extra drivers don't bother me but it would be nice to have the option not to install them. I doubt I'll ever be a Stomp I/O hardware owner......
The requests are definitely taken seriously, though I can make no promises on any timeline or specific changes at this point. As pointed out above, it was a popular user request that made it this way, so we do listen (as indicated by other recent and not-so-recent changes) so there's always hope.

I believe you Peter as I know you're an honest guy but why someone would want drivers automatically installed is beyond me.. Even with hardware I DO use I like to have control over what's installed and I guess I presumed others would be the same.. The poll statistics are overwhelmingly in favour of having the option and there doesn't seem to be many of us at kvr using the hardware, or at least they are not voting

Return to “Effects”