Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

overhishead wrote: downside: i was disappointed due to the extreme subtleness of the effect. same with ferric, way too subtle. both leave me with a "what did it do?" feeling.
It's just another Bootsie Placebo in my opinion. I'd swear sometimes he's just having us on for a laugh..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I dont think they are THAT subtle...Ferric is awesome, probably the one of them that gets the most use here.

TesslaPRO, now thats subtle...it actually took me quite a while to figure out what that thing was doing :D

But its kinda like compression i think, once you got it its not really subtle at all.

j79 wrote: TesslaPRO, now thats subtle...it actually took me quite a while to figure out what that thing was doing :D

But its kinda like compression i think, once you got it its not really subtle at all.
funny thing...to me it sounds more like subtle enhancer :)

Ahh...poor wording on my side, sorry.

I did not mean that it actually sounds like compression...just that compression is a very subtle thing until you figure it out, and then its kinda not subtle at all. Like some of these Bootsy plugs :)

And i agree, it also kinda does something to the stereofield, something with the transients, or at least the top of the frequencyspectrum. Not sure what it actually does technically, but i kinda like it...i assume its TesslaPRO we are talking about.

j79 wrote:And i agree, it also kinda does something to the stereofield, something with the transients, or at least the top of the frequencyspectrum. Not sure what it actually does technically, but i kinda like it...i assume its TesslaPRO we are talking about.
27 May 2009 - Variety Of Sound releases TesslaPRO v1.0

I think bootsie has advanced his craft since then - at least his so-called 'stateful saturation' was introduced later. I wish he wasn't so vague about the tricks he uses in his plugins, as it's almost impossible to understand some parts of his manuals, or be CERTAIN that you've understood everything correctly. Sometimes this is important.

j79 wrote:Ahh...poor wording on my side, sorry.

I did not mean that it actually sounds like compression...just that compression is a very subtle thing until you figure it out, and then its kinda not subtle at all. Like some of these Bootsy plugs :)

And i agree, it also kinda does something to the stereofield, something with the transients, or at least the top of the frequencyspectrum. Not sure what it actually does technically, but i kinda like it...i assume its TesslaPRO we are talking about.
no-my bad-I should read more carefully the rest of the sentence :)

ostfront wrote:
j79 wrote:And i agree, it also kinda does something to the stereofield, something with the transients, or at least the top of the frequencyspectrum. Not sure what it actually does technically, but i kinda like it...i assume its TesslaPRO we are talking about.
27 May 2009 - Variety Of Sound releases TesslaPRO v1.0

I think bootsie has advanced his craft since then - at least his so-called 'stateful saturation' was introduced later. I wish he wasn't so vague about the tricks he uses in his plugins, as it's almost impossible to understand some parts of his manuals, or be CERTAIN that you've understood everything correctly. Sometimes this is important.
the big difference is that he inform us at least that new approach to saturation is used,while other devs usually tell nothing... :)

I think the lo end depth and sparkle and sheen it adds to the top end is amazing, perhaps people might need to be listening on better monitors or headphones because This is a top class product that belongs at the end of the master chain if anywhere or for adding depth and sheen to individual samples.(In my humble opinion anyway, as with all bootsies products, the Density 3 is similar I hear to the Abbey roads type 1969 limiter with the range being likened to the Hold part, But Im happy with it because its FREE, THANK YOU TO VARIETY OF SOUND FOR SOME GREAT FREE PRODUCTS

i still record in 24 bit 44,1 khz format.

i was testing 96 khz, cause i had the impression, that could be more transparent (high frequency content).

but when i hear my old mixes, adding bootsies plugin, I am definitely not shure, if i should raise the sample rate to 96 K. :D

www.myspace.com/tombalcony

Teksonik wrote:
overhishead wrote: downside: i was disappointed due to the extreme subtleness of the effect. same with ferric, way too subtle. both leave me with a "what did it do?" feeling.
It's just another Bootsie Placebo in my opinion. I'd swear sometimes he's just having us on for a laugh..... :shrug:
okay my ears are 53 years old and i've been a sound engineer and musician since
35 years.
that's no PLACEBO :o

premiumcrap wrote:i still record in 24 bit 44,1 khz format.

i was testing 96 khz, cause i had the impression, that could be more transparent (high frequency content).

but when i hear my old mixes, adding bootsies plugin, I am definitely not shure, if i should raise the sample rate to 96 K. :D

but that's because your ears are 53yr old and you have been a musician for wayy too long
THERE IS ALWAYS A WORKAROUND

mauseoleum wrote:
premiumcrap wrote:i still record in 24 bit 44,1 khz format.

but that's because your ears are 53yr old and you have been a musician for wayy too long
okay : i understand :)

Until which age can we use Thrillseeker?? :help: :hihi:

BTW, I find the saturation quite subtle, but using the EQ can result in big sound changes...all in all it's a quite noticeable effect... :wink:

Compyfox wrote:Depends, the saturation effect can be subtle. Also depending on the used plugn version of course. So if you run a -18dBFS (RMS) signal through the Blue version (0dBFS worklevel), then you barely notice anything of course.

But even with an ideal worklevel and the correct plugin used (example again: -18dBFS/RMS with the Black version), and "underdriven" signals - this tool can be subtle.

If you crank up the EQ sans the saturation however, and also at the right frequencies - it's definitely an in your face sounding plugin. But still more subtle compared to conventional EQing.
that's fine and that's why i asked whyt are his average recording levels. I don't know i must have super bat ears then because i don't think this effect is anything about being subtle :hihi: No really it can twist and color sound a lot. It's goey and it's amazing.

Maybe it's perceptual thing and maybe i just have different taste for something as being "subtle" or maybe my monitoring is that much better i don't know but to me it isn't subtle but then like you said..it can be pretty much easy if driven little..

X2 wrote: perhaps people might need to be listening on better monitors or headphones
It's because I'm using good monitors/heaphones that makes me classify it as a Placebo..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”