Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

It's very good. Along with Ignite Amps PTEq-1a, which will give good results in combination. So many good entries this year, which will make voting hard.

First and foremost:
Thrillseeker XTC is a parallel EQ (similar to the Clariphonic design, but with more features), not necessarily an exciter. But due to the nature of the EQ (boost only, saturation per frequency band), it can be considered as an exciter.

Then:
It's custom code, wrapped in SynthMaker. As mentioned earlier, wrapping should work in most cases. Thrillseeker XTC went through months of beta testing just to ensure highest compatibility (in my case, I can confirm it is working flawlessly in Cubase and Wavelab).

I can not give any advice in whether or not to put an EQ pre or post XTC. But if you want to cut frequencies of a certain signal, then pre-XTC.

Though remember: less is more.

I also recommend to check out the manual.

The VU is there for a reason for example. To those that are confused as to why it is in the ITU-R BS.1770 standard, it is only at the default setup and higher (where the screw locks in place, or turned completely clockwise), which results in 400ms up to 3s. Due to this, XTC is more than suitable for mastering, also with the new ITU-R BS.1770/EBU R-128 standard.

If you want to use it as channel EQ, but have a VU like you're used to from other channel VU's, turn the screw of the VU to the leftmost (counter clockwise) position, then you have a non-weighted 300ms VU.

And don't forget: two versions!
Black is locked to -18dBFS as reference level, Blue is locked to 0dBFS. Though I do recommend using the Black version, especially if you're utilizing a strict gain staging process.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I haven't tried this yeat but i am happy it just has a rel. small range of controls on the GUI. Might be easier to get used to it.
no sig

Thanks for this wonderful plugin! :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

I've was using it on all sorts of tracks last night, not just the master. I like it used subtlety on guitars to bring some chime and jangle back into the strings, especially on clean sounds.

Make a Mac version or DIEEEEE !!!!!
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Since you obviously missed that Variety of Sound does custom coding, and wraps it in a SynthMaker shell... you're out of luck.

On and... your comment is rude, realmarco.

Then again... doesn't the V-Machine "Mac Editor" offer you to use VST plugins on a Mac?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

You need to fuff around with graphics side of things AFAIK.
SM plugs need a GDI fix

Messed around with it a little last night. Slapped in on a snare...instant big smile :)

I really like how subtle it can be while still adding something to a mix...amazing how a few times subtle adds up to a significant difference.

Have to mess around more, but this is definately a keeper. Thanks...

realmarco wrote:Make a Mac version or DIEEEEE !!!!!
Change to Windows and live!!!!!

lol, we all know Macs are for girls and 'fruity' graphic designers, get a real computer :)

back on topic... plugin sounds fantastic!

scalawag wrote:
Change to Windows and live!!!!!

LOL indeed! And have some money left in the bank as well...

Best Eq you have made yet, especially the mojo setting that helps level the peaks and audio out, great stuff

I'm a bit curious.

The VU (with both VU and ITU-R specs) was implemented due to the ear fatigue, to have a somewhat representation of what's happening with the signal (something I kind of miss with a lot of exciters).

How many of you actually use the built in VU, and at which settings (300ms VU, or 400ms ITU-R BS.1770)?

What is your general impression?
Is it a good idea to go that route, or is it more of a distraction for you?

Oh, and presonal sidenote:
Black or Blue? (black for me, though I like the blue GUI more)

Compyfox wrote:I'm a bit curious.

The VU (with both VU and ITU-R specs) was implemented due to the ear fatigue, to have a somewhat representation of what's happening with the signal (something I kind of miss with a lot of exciters).

How many of you actually use the built in VU, and at which settings (300ms VU, or 400ms ITU-R BS.1770)?

What is your general impression?
Is it a good idea to go that route, or is it more of a distraction for you?

Oh, and presonal sidenote:
Black or Blue? (black for me, though I like the blue GUI more)
I found that when you alter the drive and mojo settings it helps bring the levels down so I just use the VU meters as a general guideline source for the levels and check them out with a proper meter further down the process or mix chain if that helps, I just like the EQ design and tonal qualities and let the meters get a decent level instead of over driving the signals into the red, I know its not perfect but Im just a hobbyist so it suits me fine as well as the thrill seeker compressor, the VA meters might not be spot on accurate but you can get a good general utilization of the over all volume levels, Im still looking into the loudness wars thing and checking out the different settings which you let me know about last time, cheers by the way :)

(I like the blue one as it reminds me of a new digital pulteq EQ that has just been released that cost around £3000 so it adds to the flavor) :wink:

Return to “Effects”