Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

Tricky-Loops wrote:The blue one sounds better than the black one... :)
The blue works at higher levels, so it's obvious that the Black version sounds more "in your face" with incoming way too hot signals compared to the Blue one.

A.M. Gold wrote:I'm not totally sure what this is doing, but I think I like it.
Think of it as a module, where there are three channels with peak and shelving filter running in parallel, and are then compensated on the output side to add futher "mojo" (saturation), mix (wet/dry) and output gain.

If you imagine the channels from top to bottom (like 3 lines), it goes like this:

Code: Select all

|-- EQ 1 (low shelf) -> sat --|           |-->Output VU
         |                             |           |
Input ->-+-- EQ 2 (peak EQ)   -> sat --+-- MOJO -> Mix -> Output
  |      |                             |           |
  |      |-- EQ 3 (high shelf)-> sat --|           |
  |                                                |
  |--------> Input VU -----------------------------|
EQ and saturation are always combined, but the saturation ammount per channel is controlled by the MOJO section. But you can only raise/lower the saturation globally for all channels, not individual on each channel.

Else, you pretty much edit just one EQ band per channel (boost only), which is more subtle than editing the whole spectrum and then mix it along like a compressor.

BTW:
The Clariphonic Parallel EQ works similar. But in comparision it has two shelving filters, fixed frequency settings and no additional saturation stage of course. (see here)

@midnight wrote:Is mixing at -18dbfs does that mean you aim for -18dbfs peak on the master fader or what?
-18dFS means "average level" (RMS) in this case. It's a reference level of most of the available outboard gear.

@midnight wrote: On my mix template I have all my faders turned down -18db, is that what it means? I did that to save headroom, maybe I am just intuitive.
Actually, think different. Rather than turning down the faders and use the plugin "post fader", level in the signal (input gain), then use the insert plugins (pre-fader) as you're used to and have a better fader resolution.

The whole concept is called Gain Staging, and I wrote several posts about this. One can be found in my KVRmarks (the Slate VCC one).

Basically you work like this:

Input signal -> Channel Strip -> Output (summing bus)

Channel Strip =>
Input Gain (adjust the incoming signal here) -> VU/RMS meter (300ms ballistics, -18dBFS reference level), the average signal should not exceed 0VU or -9dBFS digital peak pre-fader! -> Inserts (whatever plugin you desire) -> Pan/Volume -> post-fader inserts

That's all there is to it.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I don't like either one.......Not sure what anybody sees in these plugins but to each his own.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

:hihi: :tu:
I've said something similar to many women in my lifetime.

Compyfox wrote:
The blue works at higher levels, so it's obvious that the Black version sounds more "in your face" with incoming way too hot signals compared to the Blue one.
:?:
I thought they would sound the same, I've just made this joke to test some people... Are they really different??
Compyfox wrote:
Think of it as a module, where there are three channels with peak and shelving filter running in parallel, and are then compensated on the output side to add futher "mojo" (saturation), mix (wet/dry) and output gain.

If you imagine the channels from top to bottom (like 3 lines), it goes like this:

Code: Select all

|-- EQ 1 (low shelf) -> sat --|           |-->Output VU
         |                             |           |
Input ->-+-- EQ 2 (peak EQ)   -> sat --+-- MOJO -> Mix -> Output
  |      |                             |           |
  |      |-- EQ 3 (high shelf)-> sat --|           |
  |                                                |
  |--------> Input VU -----------------------------|
So it wouldn't be a REAL exciter, but rather an "exciting" 3-band-EQ with saturation? BTW, thanks for the exposure of the secrets of this plugin (but this is quite similar to what I already thought about it)... :wink:

I like this very much. I don't usually care about presets, but this time "hot master" is really good. Just adjust drive to your taste.

Concerning blue versus black, to my ears they sound the same when you match the drive amount.

There is something I wish this plugin had:
- mid freq down to 500Hz.
- Hi freq down to 2k.

But anyway, great work (as usual)

If i understand correctly, black and blue are exactly the same besides what they expect that the level of the input is.

That is, they sound the same if driven the same...the blue one just needs a louder signal to have the same effect, thats all.

Just like some pieces of hardware...it expects a certain input level. Too hot and it will sound kinda bad, too low and it wont do much to the signal at all. Its in some sense just a way to avoid having to have a +/- 48 dB driveknob on the plugin.

You could say that the black is more agressive than the blue if fed the same signal i guess, but thats not because they do different processing...its just tha the same level will drive the black one harder than the blue.

Tricky-Loops wrote:I thought they would sound the same, I've just made this joke to test some people... Are they really different??
Only in terms of reference level and the color of the GUI. Else they're the same plugin. The post before mine pretty much summed this up.

Compyfox wrote:So it wouldn't be a REAL exciter, but rather an "exciting" 3-band-EQ with saturation?
Pretty much, yes.

Compyfox wrote:BTW, thanks for the exposure of the secrets of this plugin (but this is quite similar to what I already thought about it)... :wink:
It's also written in the manual to be honest. :hihi:
Just not as visual as I did IIRC (I only know the text version from betas).

s_t wrote:There is something I wish this plugin had:
- mid freq down to 500Hz.
- Hi freq down to 2k.
Thrillseeker XTC already offers more than the Clariphonic EQ. And I find it very usable. Then again, my two cents.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I would definitely try it cause I need something like that, if only it was 64bit. come on, it's almost 2013...

Tehnik wrote:I would definitely try it cause I need something like that, if only it was 64bit. come on, it's almost 2013...
I don't think Synthmaker exports to 64 bit yet does it? If it did I'm sure Bootsie would have done 64 bit versions of all his plugins......
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yea, I haven't heard of any 64 bit SM, now or on the horizon, but maybe that changed.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:Yea, I haven't heard of any 64 bit SM, now or on the horizon, but maybe that changed.
Actually isn't Synthmaker being dropped for "Flowstone" and some "Ruby" language or something like that? Haven't followed the story too closely because I don't use SM........

Teksonik wrote:
Tehnik wrote:I would definitely try it cause I need something like that, if only it was 64bit. come on, it's almost 2013...
I don't think Synthmaker exports to 64 bit yet does it? If it did I'm sure Bootsie would have done 64 bit versions of all his plugins......
Next Synthmaker version (now called FlowStone) will have 64bit.

Will have........Well the guy did say.......
Tehnik wrote:come on, it's almost 2013...
:shrug:

According to tests, wrapping should work flawlessly.

A question for Bootsie or his "Core" team.

I'm not a developer (since I finished school...) but while these 2 color 7MB plugins are exactly the same except the input work level, wouldn't it have been more simple to add a transparent input gain knob as a first stage into a single plugin?

Not that having 2x7MB dll files in my VST folder bothers me :) but I'm curious.

Return to “Effects”