Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

Compyfox wrote:I'm a bit curious.

How many of you actually use the built in VU, and at which settings (300ms VU, or 400ms ITU-R BS.1770)?

Oh, and presonal sidenote:
Black or Blue? (black for me, though I like the blue GUI more)
I use the meters as a rough guideline...nice to have, but not more than that.

As for the black/blue thing, i usually use the black one...but for some reason i seem to have a habit of having my levels in a spot right between what the two are setup for in individual channels, not really a problem though just forces me to actually think about ut everytime. Is there a reason for two different plugs instead of just a switch?

j79 wrote:Is there a reason for two different plugs instead of just a switch?
I thought people mix either at something like -18dBFS or at higher levels and so one can select the one that fits the mixing style. Beside that, each version actually offers plenty of gain (an overall +/-9dB range to DRIVE the internal gain stage).
follow me on Image

So I take it all of you leave the VU at the default "locked" position, which is 400ms ITU-R BS.1770 specs instead of fully turned left, which is a standard 300ms VU.

This is interesting, since I'm used to using 300ms VU for tracking and postpro, and 400ms ITU-R for mastering.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Theres a fairly big chance this will get my top vote.

@Bootsy: yes, that makes sense i guess...i just end up choosing between black with the gain up or blue with the gain down every time. Not really a problem though :)

@Compyfox: i am mostly a sample/synth guy, with the occasional bass and/or guitar tracking...my approach to metering and gainstaging is sorta like "if i aint clipping, i am good". I am thinking that the gainstaging thing is more important in hardware, but does not really affect sound that much in digital. I rarely know where i am going when i start out so i tend to have the levels quite low to be on the safe side, but its not something i think about that much.

Should i?

In praise of Bootsie's plugins :

[quote="Nanny C Natra & Tp3 - "These bootsie's made for workin' ""]You keep saying you've got something for me.
something you call love...and no less.

You've been messin' where you ought have been a messin'
and now everyone is gettin' all your best.

These bootsie's made for workin', and that's just what they'll do
one of these days these bootsie's gonna do the work for you.

You keep flying, when you oughta be goofing
and you keep choosing when to use the 'net

We keep jammin' when we oughta be mixin'.
Now, what's right is right, but right plugs are no bet.

You keep sayin' what you always been sayin'
and we keep thinkin' that you'll never get burnt.... Ha!

I just found me a brand new plugs to match them, yeah
and what he know you ain't had time to learn.

Are you ready bootsie's ? Start workin'!
[/quote]

:D :lol: :P
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Are the 2 different dll's different functioning versions or just different color gui's? (haven't got my computer handy to check myself)

shanecgriffo wrote:Are the 2 different dll's different functioning versions or just different color gui's? (haven't got my computer handy to check myself)
bootsie wrote:
j79 wrote:Is there a reason for two different plugs instead of just a switch?
I thought people mix either at something like -18dBFS or at higher levels and so one can select the one that fits the mixing style.

Beside that, each version actually offers plenty of gain (an overall +/-9dB range to DRIVE the internal gain stage).
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

Thanks!

Thank you! I love this plugin, sounds amazing! :D It can add a great amount of presence without sounding overly done. Very natural sound enhancement, transparent I suppose. I just haven't really figured out what exactly the mojo is doing or what's its for.

BASSDRIVE wrote:Thank you! I love this plugin, sounds amazing! :D It can add a great amount of presence without sounding overly done. Very natural sound enhancement, transparent I suppose. I just haven't really figured out what exactly the mojo is doing or what's its for.
If you turn mojo up while playing back pink noise, I think you'll hear what it's doing. To me it seems kind of hi freq modulation. Also the manual mentions it can be used to add some animation to static sounding tracks.

The blue one sounds better than the black one... :)

Is mixing at -18dbfs does that mean you aim for -18dbfs peak on the master fader or what?

On my mix template I have all my faders turned down -18db, is that what it means? I did that to save headroom, maybe I am just intuitive.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:Is mixing at -18dbfs does that mean you aim for -18dbfs peak on the master fader or what?
No, it means peak RMS.
@midnight wrote:On my mix template I have all my faders turned down -18db, is that what it means? I did that to save headroom, maybe I am just intuitive.
Are you using post-fader inserts for your plug-ins? If that's not the case then it doesn't matter if you have all your faders turned down -18dB, you may be driving your plug-ins too much (or not enough), depending on the way it was coded or modelled. "Mixing at -18dB" means "highest peak RMS level is -18dB (= 0dBVU)".

I'm not totally sure what this is doing, but I think I like it.

:hihi: :tu:
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

Return to “Effects”