Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

Try two in a row if you want to go beyond the lap dance (but be sure to leave the club first). :)

I agree, though, I'm not sure why he calls it an exciter. His description doesn't really correspond to Aphex. BBE is something different---it's more of a phase alignment tool for speakers.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

bootsie wrote:
premiumcrap wrote:i still record in 24 bit 44,1 khz format.

i was testing 96 khz, cause i had the impression, that could be more transparent (high frequency content).
yes, XTC benefits sligthly from higher sample rates.
but when i hear my old mixes, adding bootsies plugin, I am definitely not shure, if i should raise the sample rate to 96 K. :D
www.myspace.com/tombalcony
why? I'm currently using them at 96kHz, all fine here ...
i just wanted to say, that your plugin is probably a kind of substitute, instead going
to 96K :)

www.myspace.com/tombalcony

overhishead wrote:anything sounds good when you increase the gain (which is what an eq bump does)
i suppose what i was hoping for would be an exciter that doesnt boost the gain, and delivers psychoacoustic meat.
Well, sorry if i am misunderstanding you here...but there is a reason it has an output-knob, you know?
I agree, though, I'm not sure why he calls it an exciter. His description doesn't really correspond to Aphex.
Excitation can be done in various ways, and does in some ways have a pretty broad definition. The fact that it does not sound like, or work like an Aphex Aural Exciter, does not mean that is not an exciter...

I dont have any problem with people not liking it, thats a perfectly valid oppinion, but why critizise it for not being something its not supposed to be?

Just use the EQ sans the MOJO section, then you have a parallel EQ.

Use the EQ with the MOJO section, or just the MOJO section, then you have a "saturated" or in other expressed words "excited" (also read: enhanced) signal.

That simple.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

overhishead wrote:is it a multiband distortion plugin or a saturated 2 band eq?
It's a parallel EQ with stateful saturation.
i like what mojo does, i think. is it waveshaping?
nope.
follow me on Image

j79 wrote:
I agree, though, I'm not sure why he calls it an exciter. His description doesn't really correspond to Aphex.
Excitation can be done in various ways, and does in some ways have a pretty broad definition. The fact that it does not sound like, or work like an Aphex Aural Exciter, does not mean that is not an exciter...
Thats exactly the point. It's a little bit awkward that a concept from the early 70th should be the very same in 2012. As I've mentioned in that small article, the production needs has been changed completely during the last 40 years.
follow me on Image

Not sure I really agree there, Herbert. Many production needs are pretty much the same now as they used to be. The only major differences are we are mostly digital now and there is a combination of software and hardware. Do you have another specific definition for the word "exciter"? If so what is it? It must be more than simply something that saturates the signal. Your product doesn't do anything to phase, it isn't a dynamic EQ. So why is it an exciter and not just a parallel EQ with a non-linear saturation knob?

Are you saying that anything that adds harmonics is an exciter?
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

A.M. Gold wrote:Not sure I really agree there, Herbert. Many production needs are pretty much the same now as they used to be. The only major differences are we are mostly digital now and there is a combination of software and hardware. Do you have another specific definition for the word "exciter"? If so what is it? It must be more than simply something that saturates the signal. Your product doesn't do anything to phase, it isn't a dynamic EQ. So why is it an exciter and not just a parallel EQ with a non-linear saturation knob?
That's what I've said already 10 days ago...and that's what Herbert says since today, too... :lol:
Tricky-Loops wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Think of it as a module, where there are three channels with peak and shelving filter running in parallel, and are then compensated on the output side to add futher "mojo" (saturation), mix (wet/dry) and output gain.

If you imagine the channels from top to bottom (like 3 lines), it goes like this:

Code: Select all

|-- EQ 1 (low shelf) -> sat --|           |-->Output VU
         |                             |           |
Input ->-+-- EQ 2 (peak EQ)   -> sat --+-- MOJO -> Mix -> Output
  |      |                             |           |
  |      |-- EQ 3 (high shelf)-> sat --|           |
  |                                                |
  |--------> Input VU -----------------------------|
So it wouldn't be a REAL exciter, but rather an "exciting" 3-band-EQ with saturation? BTW, thanks for the exposure of the secrets of this plugin (but this is quite similar to what I already thought about it)... :wink:

The thing is, there is no "set definition" to the word "saturator", as there is none to "hot, warm, cold, muffled" and especially "analog". Other than what's common sense and what was used for over 10 years now.

A saturator adds content to the signal, it literally "impregnates" what's going through the module. In other words, it let's the signal sound "more exciting" (to a certain extend).

By strict definition, an Exciter is (According to RANE Pro Audio Reference):
exciters (or enhancers) - A term referring to any of the popular special-effect signal processing products used primarily in recording and performing. All exciters work by adding harmonic distortion of some sort - but harmonic distortion found pleasing by most listeners. Various means of generating and summing frequency-dependent and amplitude-dependent harmonics exist. Both even- and odd-ordered harmonics find favorite applications. Psychoacoustics teaches that even-harmonics tend to make sounds soft, warm and full, while odd-harmonics tend to make things metallic, hollow and bright. Lower-order harmonics control basic timbre, while higher-order harmonics control the "edge" or "bite" of the sound. Used with discrimination, harmonic distortion changes the original sound dramatically, more so than measured performance might predict.

In physics (according to Wikipedia), the Saturation is:
Saturation current, limit of flowing current through a device (in relation to semiconductor diodes, more accurately named reverse saturation current)
and
Saturation, a region of operation of a transistor
Which pretty much "enhances", or changes the signal. In other words "saturates" it. The lines are thin, but we pretty much mean the same here. At least IMO.

If you overdrive a plugin, and it's adding any additional content in the process, then it's basically a "saturation device". A compressor, a clipper, even certain EQs can therefore be called "saturator". Again, to my understanding at least.

The "difference" in exciters/enhancers is due to their internal circuit.

The BBE 882i for example looks like a 2 band "parallel" EQ as well, but there is more to it (and unfortunately, not much more documented in the manual). It has fixed frequencies at 50Hz (Low Contour) and 5khz (Process the treble frequencies). And it does "Phase correction", which IMO is messing with the phase rather than doing strict parallel EQing.

The Clariphonic EQ only does parallel EQing at fixed frequencies. Thrillseeker XTC is inspired on it.

XTC however is a parallel EQ with customizable stateful saturation (see definition on VoS blog), with different harmonic enhancement per EQ band as well. You can use the EQ with the MOJO section, but also without. Or you can only use the MOJO section and leave the EQ section (boost) alone. Something that the BBE can't do, neitehr the Clariphonic.

It's all in the details really.

Again, IMO and IME.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Saturation, a region of operation...
Yes - this is the one that has always interested me, what happens in the 'operating' region and when you approach its border (especially the upper end). Be it tape, transistor, tube, etc.

Very nice plugin.
Thank you

It's a nice plugin. I don't know how to describe it other than I have reached for it when something needs just a touch more oomph on the low end and a just a little bit of sparkle on the high, and some mid definition. Subtle indeed, but just the right amount when you need just a bit more definition on a mix or a track. You don't need to put it on everything, nor is it a one trick problem solver. I like it on group tracks like all the guitars, drum buss, or a full mix in subtle fashion. I am also a big fan of effects that have a wet/dry mix adjustment if they don't cause unintentional phase problems. Sometimes subtle just works and "less is more".

the plugin kicks butt end of statement, you did a great job I love this thing :D

It's great to hear that so many gents appreciate the low-end treatment which is possible with TS XTC. Getting the LF range right is really tough and demanding in todays productions.
follow me on Image

Yesterday I did the real check of thrillseeker XTC. The aim was the tweaking and slight adjustment of vocals - generally a very difficult task, time consuming and the result often has to be redone or modified several times.

My impression with thrillseeker XTC: It is easy to adjust small changes and to balance the timbre in a fine way. The result was very promising ... I am always a bit cautious and conservative - but thrillseeker XTC is really a big step!

Because an improvement in warmth and in clarity can be done and focused, better than with any EQ or any other device IMO. So thrillseeker XTC is an extremely fantastic "saturator"! :love:

Thank you, bootsie!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Effects”