List of the best compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For me I have about 4 that I go to. I generally write indie pop music with an '80's synthpop/new wave influence.

1- UAD 1176 v2 -

I use it first (when UA DSP is available) for the obvious: stellar results. The sonic dimension in it's tailoring is impressive and its effectiveness in doing exactly what it is suppose to do ~ 'compress, and do so in a way & manner which resembles the hardware counterpart'; t'is tops in my book.

2- NI/softube dbx160 (stand alone) -

for that 'dbx punch'- it really gives that thump and grabs and tightly controls percussive tracks in a way that makes my rhythm parts sound like some of my favorite records.

3- Vertigo VSC-2

...pure class. It is a complete gentleman, sophisticated, exacting and never imposing, all the while making things sound a little more polished. I think it was very smart for Brainworx to put this one on sale for awhile. Looks like it received considerably more attention at $99 = purchases. I think they were having a hard time getting people to bite on this at first, but it is cool to see all the folks who gave it some love in this thread.

4- DC8C

for it's total control, transparent, unobtrusive limiting.

runners up ~ Waves API2500, IK Fairchild 670 (particularly on piano), the Abbey RS124 (but since I've gone 64bit, I've had to let it go).

pEace

schnapsglas wrote:I had a heavily opinionated list of 15 compressors with two tiers bordering on "why would you get something else" and how I felt about them but there was divine intervention and I clicked a link for no reason. Oh well. I guess it will forever be a mystery... 8)
Disclaimer: heavily opinionated.
Alright, now I will try again. Do I get a free blog set up with an ebook? Of course, things that are not listed imply they suck (or have horrible value-price ratio) or I haven't used them. And single-bands only!

These are compressors I most trust. In no particular order:
1. Softube CL1B. Most musical tube-opto. That's what people think mean by "analog warmth."
2. Elysia Mpressor. Most bland one. Gain stage is quite nice, also extra features.
3. Elysia Alpha. M&S compression done properly. And it is THE final buss compressor.
4. Vertigo VSC-2. Softly crass. But that's what this does. And you can count on it.

There are compressors that worth honorable mention because I find them useful.
1. Softube FET. The ultimate 1176 with nice options added.
2. PSP Oldtimer. Most tube you can get without introducing nasty stuff.
3. Molot. Reminds you of those Neve comps in sigma... Colour.
4. Softube TLA-100A. This is your LA-2A. The end.
5. NI Vari Comp. Smooth. It temporally glues.
6. DC8C. It shapes sounds. Special features yet nothing special.
7. The Rocket. If pushes hard. Really hard.

There are compressors that I don't find useful but still will be of use to many. No comments for these.
1. The Glue.
2. Waves Kramer PIE.
3. IK 670.
4. Waves CLA-3A.
It's all about the wavelets. I dream of the perfect additive synthesis.
You can hire me if you are in Toronto! Contact for details.

My go to comps are : Distressor (Nuke , distortion 2, 3 settings) , Uad DBX , Sknote DBX , Sknote GTS 39(Nuke Setting from distressor) , Uad La 2a ,Manley Vary Mu , Manley Slam ,Chiwsick Reach Valve,and my fav. for mastering Sknote SSL 4000 :) ! Would like to add together with VBC of Slate the Shadow Hills of Sknote as well witch it's upcomoming.

Return to “Effects”