List of the best compressors

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The Sonalksis SV-315 is using a circuit similar to the SSL bus comp, and in my opinion does a better job than the Waves.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:The Sonalksis SV-315 is using a circuit similar to the SSL bus comp, and in my opinion does a better job than the Waves.
Naw. 315 was modelled on some old Neve thing. Not particularly SSL. I mean; there IS a common lineage there, but I think this might be an older Neve. That said, I don't know what actual unit it was modelled on. But I do know how to model an SSL, and it's not very much like that.

Dave.
[ DMGAudio ] | [ DMGAudio Blog ] | dave AT dmgaudio DOT com

ariston wrote:...I had about 10-15 compressors which were all seeing some use or other. Now, I've whittled it down to three: the fabulous-sounding and versatile Klanghelm DC8C...
I keep seeing DC8C pop up in compressor threads and haven't tried it out yet. Your post has inspired me to finally do it, thanks man.

Edit: It appears a demo isn't available...

DaveGamble wrote:
@midnight wrote:The Sonalksis SV-315 is using a circuit similar to the SSL bus comp, and in my opinion does a better job than the Waves.
Naw. 315 was modelled on some old Neve thing. Not particularly SSL. I mean; there IS a common lineage there, but I think this might be an older Neve. That said, I don't know what actual unit it was modelled on. But I do know how to model an SSL, and it's not very much like that.

Dave.
My mistake, I was going on the old soundonsound review:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep07/a ... ntials.htm

"Although it's more versatile than any hardware unit, its design appears to owe a little to the classic Alan Smart/SSL bus compressor, and in a mastering context its greatest weapon is the Crush control."
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

how do we tell if a compressor is good or not ?
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

AudioGuy720 wrote:
ariston wrote:...I had about 10-15 compressors which were all seeing some use or other. Now, I've whittled it down to three: the fabulous-sounding and versatile Klanghelm DC8C...
I keep seeing DC8C pop up in compressor threads and haven't tried it out yet. Your post has inspired me to finally do it, thanks man.

Edit: It appears a demo isn't available...
Try the free DC1A it'll give you a taster :wink:

AudioGuy720 wrote:Edit: It appears a demo isn't available...
DC1A is the demo. The Klanghelm DC8C is excellent. As is The Glue. Which one I use depends on what I need to do. Both are tops.

realmarco wrote:how do we tell if a compressor is good or not ?
You read the 'Best Compressors' threads at KVR. Job done!

Tired of endless A-B tests that leave you confused? Fed up with tripping, falling down and stubbing your toe in those blind ABX tests? Exasperated with having to download, install, insert and tweak dozens of compressor plugins, only to discover your music still sucks and you really can't take it out in the mix? Then this thread's for you!

KVR: Saving you time, not money while making new connections with odd people worldwide.

:hihi:
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

mandolarian wrote:

Tired of endless A-B tests that leave you confused? Fed up with tripping, falling down and stubbing your toe in those blind ABX tests? Exasperated with having to download, install, insert and tweak dozens of compressor plugins, only to discover your music still sucks and you really can't take it out in the mix? Then this thread's for you!

KVR: Saving you time, not money while making new connections with odd people worldwide.

:hihi:
Someone should make a "best "Best Compressor" threads" thread so we can really go deep and get our hair wet.
miedex

miedex wrote:
mandolarian wrote:

Someone should make a "best "Best Compressor" threads" thread so we can really go deep and get our hair wet.
Wow! Brilliant. Then we could setup a blind ABX test to determine the most awesome best compressor thread...Oh wait.
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Not sure if anybody mentioned Abbey Road RS124 yet, that compressor has a lot of vintage color. Got a lot of praise when it came out but like many others was quickly forgotten.

Well a list of compressors and what they are supposed to be modelling is sort of helpful.

Add SSL Duende Bus Comp to the SSL comps and Softube TLA-100A as an emulation of Summit-Audio TLA-100A, which is opto.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

@midnight wrote:Not sure if anybody mentioned Abbey Road RS124 yet, that compressor has a lot of vintage color. Got a lot of praise when it came out but like many others was quickly forgotten.
That's one of the best software compressors I've seen.

There are none. They're all terrible- you need a flanger to add 'added warmth', and a harmonic exciter to eq them.
The only thing a compressor is good for is lowering the noise floor, or increasing depth in a mix.

[/troll]...

ATM, I really like and use:

ReaComp - recently decided to make it my go-to compressor
ThrillseekerLA - character compressor
Molot - character compressor
Density MKIII - looking for fancy attack and release curves? than look for something else, I use this compressor when I actually want to keep dynamics in check :hihi:

honorable mention: blockfish - which is slowly dying within the bundle :cry:

not to mention the other cool and expensive comps I can't afford :P
..and as always, I'm always looking out for a good compressor! :)

Return to “Effects”