iZotope Insight Metering Suite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

munchkin wrote:I bought Hitfilm 2 for $399. Compositing, video FX, 3D editing similar to After Effects. That's the full program not an upgrade at full price.

http://hitfilm.com/ultimate

The upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 to their Suite was only $450. I didn't need it but it included Sound Forge 10, Hitfilm 2, Production Assistant 2 and some audio tracks.

How can iZotope ask nearly the same price for an upgrade to a few extra features in Ozone 5? Some audio plugin developers are really taking the urine.

Their plugins are completely overpriced which is why I waiting until I could buy StutterEdit for a rock bottom price...and I mean loooow.
That's not standard priced effects but DAW your comparing Ozone to. The algorithm of effects is naturally going to determine the price (high-quality or low). In some cases like Bricasti wich is a single algorithm and very high-end reverb that took three years to make is not going to be the same price (or cheaper) as a DAW that has gained much of its profit from many years of upgrades (Sonar and Cubase have existed for about 25 years). Izotope has had upgrades but they still have effects algorithms that are high quality not daw features (an effects algorithm can be very complex). When izotope is compared to other effects like Fabfilter, Waves,Wavearts, Eventide, sonnox, Sonoris, UAD, etc they are cheaply priced. The market has had no complaints with izotopes pricing since they are a growing company and their products have obviously sold. Your not comparing apples to apples for the sake of giving the impression that izotope is high priced but Ozone, trash, spectron are multi-algorithm/highly-flexible/multiple-modes thus are cheaply priced when compared to many companies products that form standard prices (especially medium and large companies). There are many single algorithm plugins with no multi-band/MS/Multiple-Modes/etc that are priced much higher then izotope modules if you separate the modules from the izotope plugins and sell them modules individually like other companies single algorithm plugins. Price is often subjective as to whether its high or low e.g. Fabfilter, Sonoris, eventide, etc are a little high priced to me but thats cause i'm not crazy about their algorithms, but to many other people they are not high priced and i can accept that (i don't feel the need to hang on their forums and jump into all their threads complaining about their prices, i'm VERY happy with what i do have and am busy with that). Only the market can truly determine whats high.

Some of your comparisons are products from the video industry, that to my knowledge is a much larger industry then audio, either way its not even the same industry thus not the same potential customers thus not the same prices. I'm sure i can randomly pick products from other industries that are extremely low priced and go into another industry and find a high one. But its better and more fair to compare similar products from same industry.
Last edited by sounddesigner on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

sounddesigner wrote:
munchkin wrote:I bought Hitfilm 2 for $399. Compositing, video FX, 3D editing similar to After Effects. That's the full program not an upgrade at full price.

The upgrade from Vegas Pro 12 to their Suite was only $450. I didn't need it but it included Sound Forge 10, Hitfilm 2, Production Assistant 2 and some audio tracks.

How can iZotope ask nearly the same price for an upgrade to a few extra features in Ozone 5? Some audio plugin developers are really taking the urine.

Their plugins are completely overpriced which is why I waiting until I could buy StutterEdit for a rock bottom price...and I mean loooow.
That's not standard priced effects but DAW your comparing Ozone to. The algorithm of effects is naturally going to determine the price (high-quality or low). In some cases like Bricasti wich is a single algorithm and very high-end reverb that took three years to make is not going to be the same price (or cheaper) as a DAW that has gained much of its profit from many years of upgrades (Sonar and Cubase have existed for about 20 years). Izotope has had upgrades but they still have effects algorithms that are high quality not daw features (an effects algorithm can be very complex). When izotope is compared to other effects like Fabfilter, Waves,Wavearts, Eventide, sonnox, Sonoris, UAD, etc they are cheaply priced. The market has had no complaints with izotopes pricing since they are a growing company and their products have obviously sold. Your not comparing apples to apples for the sake of giving the impression that izotope is high priced but Ozone, trash, spectron are multi-algorithm/highly-flexible/multiple-modes thus are cheaply priced when compared to many companies products that form standard prices (especially medium and large companies). There are many single algorithm plugins with no multi-band/MS/Multiple-Modes/etc that are priced much higher then izotope modules if you separate them and sell them individually like other companies. Price is often subjective as to whether its high or low e.g. Fabfilter, Sonoris, eventide, etc are a little high priced to me but thats cause i'm not crazy about their algorithms, but to many other people they are not high priced and i can accept that (i don't feel the need to hang on their forums and jump into all their threads complaining about their prices, i'm VERY happy with what i do have and am busy with that). Only the market can truly determine whats high.

Some of your comparisons are products from the video industry, that to my knowledge is a much larger industry then audio, either way its not even the same industry thus not the same potential customers thus not the same prices. I'm sure i can randomly pick products from other industries that are extremely low priced and go into another industry and find a high one. But its better and more fair to compare similar products from same industry.
Firstly, we're not talking about $399 for a plugin - we're talking about $399 just for the upgrade. Secondly, if FXHome can release Hitfilm 2 a fully fledged compositor onto the market for the same price then $399 for an audio plugin upgrade is a joke.

Are you telling me that iZotope spent longer on Ozone 5 Pro than FXHome did developing Hitfilm 2? FXHome aren't Sony, Adobe or Avid by a long shot and Hitfilm 2 is a relatively new but very professional product. Video editing software does not usually come cheap and is as advanced if not more advanced than audio plugin development. But if that example isn't good enough how about the upgrade price for Vegas Pro Suite which includes Sound Forge etc?

iZotope isn't a new struggling software company they've been going for years and license their software to the industry. I've really had enough of that on the breadline excuse. Tell me about it! :roll:

Trash 2 Full Price: $249

MAUL Full Price: $99

How do FXPansions do it! :o I doubt they got their code from Walmart.

I know what I'd buy if I needed distortion.

munchkin wrote:
sounddesigner wrote:

That's not standard priced effects but DAW your comparing Ozone to. The algorithm of effects is naturally going to determine the price (high-quality or low). In some cases like Bricasti wich is a single algorithm and very high-end reverb that took three years to make is not going to be the same price (or cheaper) as a DAW that has gained much of its profit from many years of upgrades (Sonar and Cubase have existed for about 20 years). Izotope has had upgrades but they still have effects algorithms that are high quality not daw features (an effects algorithm can be very complex). When izotope is compared to other effects like Fabfilter, Waves,Wavearts, Eventide, sonnox, Sonoris, UAD, etc they are cheaply priced. The market has had no complaints with izotopes pricing since they are a growing company and their products have obviously sold. Your not comparing apples to apples for the sake of giving the impression that izotope is high priced but Ozone, trash, spectron are multi-algorithm/highly-flexible/multiple-modes thus are cheaply priced when compared to many companies products that form standard prices (especially medium and large companies). There are many single algorithm plugins with no multi-band/MS/Multiple-Modes/etc that are priced much higher then izotope modules if you separate them and sell them individually like other companies. Price is often subjective as to whether its high or low e.g. Fabfilter, Sonoris, eventide, etc are a little high priced to me but thats cause i'm not crazy about their algorithms, but to many other people they are not high priced and i can accept that (i don't feel the need to hang on their forums and jump into all their threads complaining about their prices, i'm VERY happy with what i do have and am busy with that). Only the market can truly determine whats high.

Firstly, we're not talking about $399 for a plugin - we're talking about $399 just for the upgrade. Secondly, if FXHome can release Hitfilm 2 a fully fledged compositor onto the market for the same price then $399 for an audio plugin upgrade is a joke.

Are you telling me that iZotope spent longer on Ozone 5 Pro than FXHome did developing Hitfilm 2? FXHome aren't Sony, Adobe or Avid by a long shot and Hitfilm 2 is a relatively new but very professional product. Video editing software does not usually come cheap and is as advanced if not more advanced than audio plugin development. But if that example isn't good enough how about the upgrade price for Vegas Pro Suite which includes Sound Forge etc?

iZotope isn't a new struggling software company they've been going for years and license their software to the industry. I've really had enough of that on the breadline excuse. Tell me about it! :roll:

Trash 2 Full Price: $249

MAUL Full Price: $99

How do FXPansions do it! :o I doubt they got their code from Walmart.

I know what I'd buy if I needed distortion.
again a video daw is not comparable to a audio effects, neither is a video-game or a ipad app, etc. But ofcourse your entitled to your opinions, i just don't think many reasonable minded people will agree with such comparisons (different industries, different type products and different sized potential customer bases). And again some effects are VERY complex and take a long time to develop, I'm sure this is one of the reasons that UAD, izotope, waves, etc did'nt release plugins of quality when they first opened for business that are as high quality as their plugins now. It took many years for many companies algorithms to get better, i know Warp69's 480 reverb appears to have taken a long time to develop and or get to market. high quality plugins can be very complex and take years to get to the market. Izotopes latest maximizer algorithm is VERY good and clearly an improvement over their previous algorithms. I've read from a developer that it can take awhile developing high quality algorithms. Devs are entitled to get proper compensation for their hard work, time and other expenses. If a person disagrees with a price simply don't buy it, trying to bash and attack a good company in public over their prices does the industry more of a dis-service then the perceived-high-prices.

Maul does not have all the algorithms of Trash (2 filters, multiband compresser, multiband gate, multiband distortion, delay, convolution processing, limiter). Trash has 7 modules and a output limiter. you need to divide trashs price by 7 then compare that to mauls price wich is around $35 for Trash distortion. So its closer to $35 compared to mauls $99. This means Trash's distortion is a heck of alot cheaper then Maul.

As for Trash costing $250, well that is direct from manufacturer price so ofcourse this is'nt regular price/common price and is naturally higher then general market prices wich are $179-$199. Maul can only be bought threw fxpansion to my knowledge thus $99 is its regular price. Izotope has many third party retailers that most go to i'm sure for cheaper prices. Factory direct often has to be higher priced so that other retailers can profit. General market price for Trash 2 is $179-$199.

I know this discussion is'nt going to go anywhere so we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm sure intelligent readers will have no problem forming their own opinions and fairly judge both our cases.
Last edited by sounddesigner on Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
T2 Icarus is a must. SonicCore SCOPE is the most. As heart of studio it has my vote, cause XITE-1 is all she wrote.

I'm sure intelligent readers will agree with me. I'm sure FXpansion will be pleased to know they don't compare to the elevated heights of iZotopes offerings. You have a nice way of putting people down with a smile.

As for Maul being worth less than Trash 2 - it distorts a darn sight better and I've demoed both. All the superfluous extras in Trash are like putting a sequin on a rats arse (it doesn't improve the distortion) for all the good that's worth.

But you're right about one thing, this is going round in circles so I'll let you have the last word.

If we pay for the algo then I think the algos in Maul are better than the one in Trash. Trash is good, but like all other iZotope products, it's priced much higher than it should be.

Also, I remember Rob Papen given RP-Distort for free for people that bought RP-Verb (or RP-Delay, can't remember). Sure it's not multi-band, but there's a lot of good distortion algos in it, plus filters and widener and good modulation options too.

Gawd I'm resurrecting an OLD thread, but just can't help it. Just bought Insight on the marketplace for a good price.

I could have held out for getting it with RX4 advanced but when I think of it I don't need RX 4 but lack of analysis tools in my setups were getting to me.

I think Insight is very useful, and I like the green color easy on the eyes..

There's a RX mode for the 3D spectral analyser, and some ways to customise the output, so I'm happy with it.

I figure I'll go for Fab Filter tools for processing at the mastering stage, I have Pro Q, will upgrade it to Pro Q 2 and get the multiband compressor, and the limiter at on point.. Then I won't need Ozone..
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

I'm now the owner of Insight, bought for a good price on the marketplace..

I think it's pretty cool, I'm finding my way around the plug and have looked at a few youtube videos, read up on the loudness war's so I understand more fully what a tool like this can do.

The Spectrogram in 2D like Iris or in 3d like Ozone advanced, Spectrum and the levels history..

Now I understand what it can do I can understand it's a rather expensive tool..

The comments about it being too expensive in this thread don't really seem fair when it's intended user base are Postproduction, and broadcast facilities that can get in trouble if they deliver material that is out of spec.

For my uses it's going to do quite nicely to keep my levels under control in my rather long tracks..

It'll give me insight, plus it's fun to use..

For anyone interested I notice there is a listing for RX4 advanced on the marketplace, Insight is included in that package. I'd jump on it if it wasn't that I've spent way too much already this last while...

I'm now the owner of Insight, bought for a good price on the marketplace..

I think it's pretty cool, I'm finding my way around the plug and have looked at a few youtube videos, read up on the loudness war's so I understand more fully what a tool like this can do.

The Spectrogram in 2D like Iris or in 3d like Ozone advanced, Spectrum and the levels history..

Now I understand what it can do I can understand why it's a rather expensive tool..

The comments about it being too expensive in this thread don't really seem fair when it's intended user base are Postproduction, and broadcast facilities that can get in trouble if they deliver material that is out of spec.

For my uses it's going to do quite nicely to help keep my levels under control in my rather long tracks..

It'll give me insight, plus it's fun to use..

For anyone interested I notice there is a listing for RX4 advanced on the marketplace, Insight is included in that package. I'd jump on it if it wasn't that I've spent way too much already this last while...

Return to “Effects”