IK White
45%
Ni VCA2A
55%

Total votes: 82

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, the NI is on special for 60 bucks for a month,

i can get the IK for around 70 bucks after i use my few jampoints.

Which one? I have been wanting an LA2A for weeks and i still haven't decided.

Cheers!

ps i always liked the compression action of the IK but i do like that the NI had modelled transistors and also wet/dry and sidechain.

decisions, decisions.

hmm i haven't voted of course but checked results and so far Ni in the lead...

and considering it's got the parallel control and detector sidechain i'll add my vote for now so i don't have to press view poll results every time.

DCAM Dynamics Bundle. the 1176 doesn't have the sidechain. but the 1176 isn't a great sidechain compressor like an SSL comp is.

the bundle also includes the SSL bus comp (which has sidechain), cross comp, and envelope shaper. all circuit modeled stuff with oversampling and optional saturation circuits.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I voted IK. The compression sounds/feels great to me, but I'm definitely in the boat that thinks it could be more colored. I've given up on the idea that IK is ever going to change this, or that if they did, it wouldn't be any time soon or free. However, there appears to be a new UA version in the works.

Regarding the NI/Softube version: I demoed that collection when it was part of Guitar Rig and just didn't jive with it. I don't think the 1176 was as good as the standalone Softube version (F.E.T. Compressor) and I didn't think the LA-2A or 160 were much better. My guess: these are like baby-Softube plugins that don't go the whole 9 yards (haven't tried the Premium Tube series, but considering how highly regarded those are, I doubt that NI repeated the mistake).

I'm guessing theom meant transformers, not transistors. I have and like IK and McDSP Ultimate. I have all of t-racks deluxe plus the black and white. They're great, especially for literally a few dollars a piece. I've got about $125 in all that after selling my redundant licenses, well, the ones that I could sell.

Like many, I wish IK had gone farther with the Black and White modeling, but my biggest problem is that the interfaces come off as cheap to me compared to most other premium plug-ins. I know that shouldn't matter, and doesn't sometimes, but it's just kind of embarrassing next to a Duende plug-in, for example.

If they just didn't have that dinosaur and especially the "choose a preset" menu thing, it would be better. I have similar problems with Kush and other plug-ins. I guess none are perfect graphically, though some are a lot closer for me than others. It does matter when you have to look at them a lot.

Of course, I'll take great sound and a crappy interface over the opposite. The new NI interfaces are nice, but a little on the dull side. I guess I want the Premium Tube stuff most off all. Though I'll most likely get this VC set first and possibly Solid Mix, if and when. Oh, and true or not, Baby Softube is funny.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

@midnight wrote:DCAM Dynamics Bundle. the 1176 doesn't have the sidechain. but the 1176 isn't a great sidechain compressor like an SSL comp is.

the bundle also includes the SSL bus comp (which has sidechain), cross comp, and envelope shaper. all circuit modeled stuff with oversampling and optional saturation circuits.

huh?

there is no LA2A in the Dcam bundle. :shrug:

Not interested in an 1176.. i've got the softube, which as i have said in the *1176* topic, is in IMO the very best available by far (i.e i prefer it to the dcam 1176)

Theo, you seem to have got rich all of a sudden. Lexicon PCM, synths and effects...
And after losing $$$ because of Reason.
What's your secret?
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

i won lotto.

Waves CLA-2A

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:I voted IK. The compression sounds/feels great to me, but I'm definitely in the boat that thinks it could be more colored. I've given up on the idea that IK is ever going to change this, or that if they did, it wouldn't be any time soon or free. However, there appears to be a new UA version in the works.

Regarding the NI/Softube version: I demoed that collection when it was part of Guitar Rig and just didn't jive with it. I don't think the 1176 was as good as the standalone Softube version (F.E.T. Compressor) and I didn't think the LA-2A or 160 were much better. My guess: these are like baby-Softube plugins that don't go the whole 9 yards (haven't tried the Premium Tube series, but considering how highly regarded those are, I doubt that NI repeated the mistake).
According to Softube there are minor differences, which they don't think affects the sound in any noticeable way.

Theo imo you should also check out Waves CLA, they sound very good to me.

You can get the LA2A as a single:

http://jrrshop.com/catalog/waves-cla2a- ... 12999.html

$170 with his discounts

Here are some comparisons:

On Vocals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VDdsNVHYXk

On Drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnmM-9rrXt0&feature=plcp
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

That waves price is outrageous considering the whole bundle can be had for less on their specials.. nope.. you never EVER pay retail for a waves product.

But thanks :)

I did forgot about the waves one so will wait till at least thanksgiving before any decisions are made :)

(ps i am talking about 60 and 70 dollar plugins here, regarding the ni and ik, not 180 :) )

If you have PSP BussPressor by any chance I can give you my CLA-2A preset for it (until you can get the good Waves deal).
Last edited by sonicpowa on Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no only have the psp easy verb and stereo pack which i will be selling. No matter how many times i try with psp, i can't get along with anything they make.
But thank you kindly :) That was nice of you

Hi,

could you mail me the preset please ?
Atm I have only other psp dynamics, but I think I will buying the Busspressor too and I could use that preset during the demotime.

Cheers
Alex

^ yes, I will post it here, when I get back home tomorrow.

Return to “Effects”