IK White
45%
Ni VCA2A
55%

Total votes: 82

RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote:
It also offers variable ratio and sidechain AND parallel AND HPF. so...
Don't be fooled, the ratio is not variable, it only looks that way. (tested with Budde's vst plug analyzer)

also, the NI 76 doesn't have a sidech HPF unfortunately.
That's right I think, but Softube's FET is variable from what I understand.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I can't function with his gui's.. plus don't want that extra plug in vendor entry... trying to minimize..

in fact all my sknote stuff on sale shortly :)

but thanks kindly :)

Yay! Congratulations, TM (I'm guessing those are your initials).

It was a nice feeling for me just to unload almost all of my jampoints a few months back, even though mine went for transfer tokens. Anyway, those two, the Fairchild, Pultec and maybe the opto are the only t-racks plug-ins I care much about.

I agree about the sknote, too. Plus, that's one that's just going to be available for $29 until enough features are added to warrant a price increase. I was wondering if they ever have sales. There have been into offers, but not on this. I'm waiting for the EMT250 and then I may get one or both.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

Doh, just saw your sknote. (get it?)
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

kvaca wrote:
TheoM wrote: Will also have to see what waves offers this black friday.

I have to demo the waves and really pit all three against each other before i make a decision. I *really* do like the ik white though.

Sorry but so far i do prefer the NI 1176.

cheers
Theo,
its hard to me vote for these comps since AFAIK none of these 2A models /including Waves CLA one/ does proper ovesampling which makes usability of them very limited in 44kHz /yes Im one of these rare guys here who can hear aliasing and care about/
but there is another thing-becouse these comps when pushed are same time distorting units-I was interested how accurate the devs modelled structore of upper harmonics...Ive compared only waves and IK 2A models and to be honest I was shocked how big the difference between them is,waves nailed exactly harmonics what I would expect from good tube unit...but white 2A-sorry IK-only odd harmonics from clipping and plenty of alias-so I wander how can this sound good enough to you :?
but maybe your ears are very different...or are you testing it only with drums...who knows...but still I would prefer CLA2A anytime :)
in my own personal testing, if the compressor is clean (ie. doesn't have any added distortion/saturation) then you can use them just fine without any oversampling necessary.

to test this I did my typical aliasing test, by pulling up Synth Squad and switching to 8x oversampling, and then pitch bending the highest notes. with no additional plugins in the chain I added the Waves SSL E-Channel which is a non-oversampled compressor, and even when doing +20db gain reduction, I could still pitchbend the notes without any audible aliasing artifacts. this is because Waves didn't add any distortion to their SSL plugins. that being said, in a plugin like Softube's compressors, you would need oversampling, because those plugins especially the FET generate a lot of additional distortion beyond just the compression action. probably the same thing with the Native Instruments compressors, which is interesting to note can be oversampled when used in the Guitar Rig shell, not sure if they are oversampled in their new iteration.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Effects”