Izotope Trash 2 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can trash do mid/side processing like Saturn does?
My progressive rock band - free demos here!! (and if you do listen please let me know what you think!) http://www.aeonsatori.com/news/free-downloads

Yes it does with an addition tweek to the side chain signal.

From the documentation.

Routing Sidechain Signals
By default, Trash's Dynamics and Filter module will simply respond and react to the
incoming audio from the track that Trash is inserted on. In this way, if the incoming
audio passes the specified threshold values inside of Dynamics, the module begins to
process the audio.
When working with sidechain signals however, each Filter modulation or Dynamics
module will still process the incoming audio, but the module will no longer be triggered
by the same incoming audio. Instead, the process will be triggered either by an external
audio source or audio from one of the bands in the multi-band Dynamic's crossovers.
Sidechain
To enable a sidechain input, click the Sidechain button within the Compressor or Gate
controls box in the Dynamics module, or in the Envelope section of the Modulation
tab in the Filter module. For both Dynamics and Filter modules, Trash 2 can accept
incoming sidechain trigger signals from an external source of audio as defined inside of
your host audio application.
Inside of your host application, with the use of buses, sends or aux tracks, you will need
to send the audio signal you would like to serve as your sidechain trigger to the audio
track that Trash is inserted upon.
As each audio host application is different, please refer to your host's help
documentation for instructions on how to route audio to Trash.
Note: Incoming stereo sidechain signals will be mixed and summed to mono for use in
triggering the Dynamics modules.
Detection Filter
Trash 2's Dynamics module features an optional Detection Filter with both resonant
high- and low-pass filters. These filters allow you to adjust what each of Trash 2's
Dynamics module's detection circuits are responding to so that the dynamics process
isn't triggered by certain frequencies or so the process may be weighted heavier on
certain frequencies.
To enable the Detection Filter, select the third minispectrum view button in the top left
of the window. Then, click the Detection Filter button which appears in the top left.
Once enabled, two nodes will appear which function much like passfilter nodes in the
EQ module. They may be dragged to adjust frequency and feature handles which allow
you to adjust the Q. Alternatively, you may enter precise values for each by clicking on
the node and entering values in the readouts at the top of the window. End of doc.

I'm not sure if it's like Saturn though. It has side chain functionality as described above . I'm just getting to grips with the differences between the different offerings: Trash 2, Saturn, Maul, Ohmicide. They seem to each have their strenghts and weakness..

I've setup a testing setup in Numerology where I have two instances of each plug setup, and an audio switch that allows me to ABCD the different plugs on 2 different types of sounds..

I have until the 6th of Deember to try things out. Only Ohmicide has a very restricted Demo period of 6 or 8 hours, so I have to watch how much I demo it.

The Cyber weekend savings aren't significant enough IM0 for me to rush out and get anything in this price level. But the Trash 2 introductory price of 150, instead of 250 makes me want to make sure that if Trash is the best offering that I get it before the 6th.. There is no rush with the others as they are going to maintain their present pricing..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

Well, Trash 2's awesome sideCHAIN abilities notwithstanding, the answer is no, it doesn't. That's one thing about Izotope that I find a bit frustrating: Ozone has M/S, Alloy doesn't. Although there's no sane reason NOT to include it in Alloy. Similarly, I'm sure it would have been a breeze to include it in Trash. I don't think it's a biggie, though, just a little more inconvenient - use Voxengo's MSED and you're set.

ariston wrote:Well, Trash 2's awesome sideCHAIN abilities notwithstanding, the answer is no, it doesn't. That's one thing about Izotope that I find a bit frustrating: Ozone has M/S, Alloy doesn't. Although there's no sane reason NOT to include it in Alloy. Similarly, I'm sure it would have been a breeze to include it in Trash. I don't think it's a biggie, though, just a little more inconvenient - use Voxengo's MSED and you're set.
Thanks for clearing this up Ariston!

I slipped there just assumed sidechaining was part of the MS technigue. MS processing can be set up to do this in the host program I'm using in conjunction with sudechaining but it would not be as slick as Saturn built in implementation. An MS matrix in the sidechains siganl path would one way to achieve it. So from what I understand Sidechainings is a prerequisite for MS technique.

About halfway down the quoted passage there is a Note, where they mention that incoming siganls used as the sidechain trigger/modulator are summed to mono. So in a way it automatically would give the effect of compressing the center and leaving the side signal alone..

Well i just bought the upgrade for this and i think i am fairly pleased overall with this. :)

I definitely have most of my distortion needs covered i think ..
:borg:

after playing w/the demo for a while i bought it via nice intro price + JRR shop thanksgiving discount. seems worth it to me :)

i got some cool sounds out of it and i like the interface a lot. the convolution is a bonus and really adds to the sound/tone. it's very different than saturn or ohmicide.. both of which i use.. ohmicide is still, imo, the best sounding distortion plug on the planet. it's alive. i think i'll end up using trash2 just as much though but on totally different material. it's all about context i guess.

Congratulations on your new aquisitions dayjob and vort3x!

My own resolve is galvinized by your examples and I will follow suit asap. :wink:

Well, I decided to bite. I didn't have any distortion or convolution plugins, so with those features plus filters, etc. (and plus a coupon at audiodeluxe), $126 felt about right for this.

ariston wrote:Well, Trash 2's awesome sideCHAIN abilities notwithstanding, the answer is no, it doesn't. That's one thing about Izotope that I find a bit frustrating: Ozone has M/S, Alloy doesn't. Although there's no sane reason NOT to include it in Alloy. Similarly, I'm sure it would have been a breeze to include it in Trash. I don't think it's a biggie, though, just a little more inconvenient - use Voxengo's MSED and you're set.
There is a reason - it's called building value into your products. This is how a capitalist society works.

It would be free for them to include all sorts in stuff that Ozone has into Alloy. But then Ozone wouldn't seem as badass, would it? Then they would probably sell less copies of Ozone.

They make decisions to maximize profit just like any other corporation would. So its your choose to decide whether or not to use their plugins.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

@midnight wrote:
There is a reason - it's called building value into your products. This is how a capitalist society works.

It would be free for them to include all sorts in stuff that Ozone has into Alloy. But then Ozone wouldn't seem as badass, would it? Then they would probably sell less copies of Ozone.

They make decisions to maximize profit just like any other corporation would. So its your choose to decide whether or not to use their plugins.
I don't know it's a point, but there's also another angle. That is what is the válue of an idea? If say a plug in like Trash is built up of several good implementations of the different modules that are unique well fleshed out and powerful, then when is enough enough? As any person who works hard in any field knows, at one point you just have to say stop at a given point. The list of small extra things a customer wants can get very long very fast. Ideas, codes, Ui twaeks are never "free" in the real world and you know it.

Any new owners of Trash 2 that after using it for a few intense sessions in the past few weeks have anything new to say about it. Something discovered or a track they made using it that would be of interest to folks trying to figure out if they want to get it before the December 6 cut off date?

I'm working it hard here. I'm still finding my way around the plug in. I know I'll get somewhere with my explorations but others that know more about working with these types of tools may have some insights or ideas about how I could get more out of my research time..

Here are some sound explorations I have been working on with Trash 2 and some original Impulse Response's.

I wanted to create some presets to give some needed life to Stylus RMX and other drums loops and samples I have been using.

These IR's were all produced at 96kHZ and are from some very cool rooms and spaces that were captured for studio production.

I found the Impulse Response's extraordinary to work with in Trash 2 and superior for my purpose's to create some smaller and medium sized presets that could be added to old loops.

In addition to the Impulse Response's, I used Trash 2 to design tonal characteristics, dynamic control and dimensional space.

I was very pleased with the results and capability Trash has to "shape" sound both with silk and destruction while remaining aesthetic.
So far I have created over 120 presets.

http://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pad ... trash-2-by

http://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pad ... -trash-2-3

http://soundcloud.com/vintage-synth-pad ... -trash-2-1

@PatchAdamz

Quite good, Quite good. I hadn't thought of using the convolution for reverb effects, but of course that's what it's about.

Very interesting work here. If I get Trash 2 I'll certainly take at look at your impuls set..

What's nice about a compact plug in like Trash is that your working with all these tools together then can pick and choose different impuls responses to match with distortion 1 or 2 waveshaping, then add the filters 1+2 and Delay. And all this power is packed into a rather efficient UI..

Swiss Army knife territory?

TwoToneshuzz wrote:@PatchAdamz

Quite good, Quite good. I hadn't thought of using the convolution for reverb effects, but of course that's what it's about.

Very interesting work here. If I get Trash 2 I'll certainly take at look at your impuls set..

What's nice about a compact plug in like Trash is that your working with all these tools together then can pick and choose different impuls responses to match with distortion 1 or 2 waveshaping, then add the filters 1+2 and Delay. And all this power is packed into a rather efficient UI..

Swiss Army knife territory?
Swiss Army is a very good description.
Also the fact that you can reshape and structure the distortion while doing multi-band controls on the dynamics lets you really control how the plugin sounds. I find I can emulate my old hardware vintage tube compressors and EQs with some accuracy. Then put them into unique spaces. What took several plugins/hardware before can now be done with one plugin and made into a single preset, very cool. :)

@PatchAdamz

I like the description of your workflow with Trash 2. It's just this kind of synergy from past experience, and a modern interface that has these collection of devices put together in a way that makes sense to experienced audio engineers, This is very educational, gives a type of master class to the relative new comer to these multiband compression/distortion/waveshaping sound shaping worksflow.

I know in the past I have intuitively set some chains up with the intention of reaching some of the results that you have described above, but it was a chore and too often I have lost the spark of inspiration and my original intention gets clouded in the process.

A tight little tool like trash can keep the focus and of course is easy to call up again, make new variations or refine previous patches..

Return to “Effects”