Izotope Trash 2 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Some things to keep in mind about Trash:
It's an all-out distortion tool, meaning that it can get pretty ugly. It requires very judicious use of the mix and gain settings, not to mention keeping a close watch on your input levels. The concept is akin to a plug like Compassion: give the user as much freedom as possible, which of course also means the freedom to f**k it up royally.

I've found that I can get all the sounds I want from it, from subtle enhancing to thickening to adding warmth to making it sound like two cats hanging on to the tail of a jet plane. I don't know whether it'll become my favourite distortion plugin, I'll see when the novelty wears off. I won't be selling Maul or Saturn anytime soon, but it's definitely a great addition to the toolbox, that's for sure.

despite being quirky i got to say i think ohmicide is still the king :oops:

i really do.

I picked this up last night and stayed up most of the night diving deep into it. I already have Saturn, Ohmicide, and Maul, but Trash 2 offers a pretty different range of sounds IMO. I didn't own Trash 1 and, surprisingly, this is actually the first Izotope product that appealed enough to me to buy it - for some reason, I'm just never convinced to buy their products after demoing them. Anyway, Trash 2 is pretty cool and very intuitive to work with, but I think that this plugin begs you to close the preset window and get your hands dirty. After flipping through a few dozen presets on a drum loop, I was not impressed, but I found myself really digging how quickly and easy it was to dial up some usable grunge when starting clean.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Thanks for the responses about the Trash 2. I've got the Uhbik's Runciter and tried Big Buss Mojo, by Stillwell Audio. I've got the DP4 by Ensoniq, so I've worked with a few Distortion tools, Guitar Rig came with Maschine but as mentioned I've really never taken to the emulation interface..

The Ohmicide has gotten a lot of love I can see. At first glance the actual UI doesn't do much for me, but the price is very attractive.

I think I'll download the Trash 2 Demo, Ohmicide and Maul, Saturn see what they can do side by side..
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

ariston wrote:Some things to keep in mind about Trash:
It's an all-out distortion tool, meaning that it can get pretty ugly. It requires very judicious use of the mix and gain settings, not to mention keeping a close watch on your input levels. The concept is akin to a plug like Compassion: give the user as much freedom as possible, which of course also means the freedom to f**k it up royally.

I've found that I can get all the sounds I want from it, from subtle enhancing to thickening to adding warmth to making it sound like two cats hanging on to the tail of a jet plane. I don't know whether it'll become my favourite distortion plugin, I'll see when the novelty wears off. I won't be selling Maul or Saturn anytime soon, but it's definitely a great addition to the toolbox, that's for sure.
One thing I've never been into is using the "mix" knob as a means of achieving a nice distortion.

IMO that's not the same thing. Its a bit of a workaround "we couldn't quite nail actual subtle tube/tape distortion, but here, if you just mix in 10% of this fizzy stuff, its almmost the same thing"

Sorry but that's not the same thing as a subtle tube preamp shaping the "entire" signal

I am a fan of parralel compression but not parrallel distortion, as it tends to sound like "the original sound, with a bit of fizzy sitting alongside it" which is exactly what parrallel distortion is

I rather have the 100% signal being subtly saturated by a really nice sounding algorithm or hardware
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That's right about distortion being hard to get to meld with the sound. Intersting point.

Well, it's an interesting point, but note that I mentioned gain and input settings as well, which I regard as more important than mixing the wet and dry accordingly. Additionally, the filters are an important part of this plugin. They're a right dirty bunch and really expand the tonal possibilities.

My bottom line is, if I can get the sound I want, I don't really care whether it's a spot-on emulation or a good approximation (or something else entirely). My priorities are: can I get what I want, and can I get it without a lot of hassle? I can do that with Trash. And another thing: I love effects that surprise me, and this one has a ton of surprises up its sleeve.

Just my opinion though, I know other folks are much, much more concerned with this accuracy thing, and will argue about it til Bob Moog rises from his grave.

ariston wrote:Well, it's an interesting point, but note that I mentioned gain and input settings as well, which I regard as more important than mixing the wet and dry accordingly. Additionally, the filters are an important part of this plugin. They're a right dirty bunch and really expand the tonal possibilities.

My bottom line is, if I can get the sound I want, I don't really care whether it's a spot-on emulation or a good approximation (or something else entirely). My priorities are: can I get what I want, and can I get it without a lot of hassle? I can do that with Trash. And another thing: I love effects that surprise me, and this one has a ton of surprises up its sleeve.

Just my opinion though, I know other folks are much, much more concerned with this accuracy thing, and will argue about it til Bob Moog rises from his grave.
I'm in agreement on the emulation thing. For me it's meaningless as an end in itself. I'm definately after something specific, that sounds good to my ears on a materiel that I'm using. Not out to try and copy guitarists. Though learning from them is no bad thing when it comes to creative use of distortion...

I've since downloaded the demo, read the documentation. Trash has everything in the right places. I think it's UI is well thought out and easy to grasp.. I like that it's effectively laidout quick to hop around in the different modules.

Trash is very full featured which makes for a wide scope to sound shaping possibilites. Lucky I have a couple of weeks to experiment before the release price of 150 goes up to 250 which for my budget would put it almost permanently out of reach...

Another poster has put forth the opinion that all the extra modules aren't really needed if the core distortion does it's job (he's not convinced I presume) that's the important thing. I for one though like the whole package as it can tend to get rather ungainly with long chains of effects in my host. No if the effect chains are chosen well, well thought out and flexible then there's nothing bad about having it all in one neat and easy to manage store and recall spot.

Is there really still no way to reset the phase (offset, not stereo phase) of the free LFO, nor set the start phase of the synced lfo? Am I the only one who finds this crazy? Same thing with spectron and the first trash. Free lfos won't ever be the same everytime you play back your project, and a synced lfo severely limited. is there a reason for this? or is there a way??

TheoM wrote:despite being quirky i got to say i think ohmicide is still the king :oops:

i really do.
they are complimentary. ohmicide is stunning, and always inspires me, and i have so many happy accidents with ohmicide i will never ever part with it. it can really awe me even after all these years.

trash2 is complimentary, ohmicide doesn't do delay or filters and stuff. ohmicide being multiband is definitely overlap but the two are just too different and unique. i own them both and i was surprised at how good the trash2 algorithms were sounding and the convolution stuff is a nice add.

it's hard for me to get precise control over ohmicide, i feel almost like it's got a mind of it's own (and i love that about it) whereas with trash2 i have precise control and i'm the boss. ohmicide is fantastic, but so is trash2.

they are not mutually exclusive, imo.

Hmm, haven't made my mind up on this yet. I'm demoing Saturn at the same time, and it's interesting to compare the two. Saturn for me has the immediate wow factor and gets to the results that I want really quickly; however, compared to Trash, its sonic palette is more limited. With Trash, I haven't really liked any of the presets. But even though it isn't as quick as Saturn to dial in (I really love Saturn's GUI and modulation), I'm finding it can achieve great results with a touch more patience and by dialing in custom presets, and Trash, even though it appears billed as something to destroy the incoming signal, is actually capable of some subtle things as well. I made a very convincing trumpet sound that needed just a touch of "something," and I was able to get very satisfying results using Trash. But it's late here, so I might try to make a quick demo tomorrow.

Have Izotope done any Black friday sales in the past?
:borg:

I was working with Trash 2 last night. It's pretty full featured, I'm going for the deal for $134 at Audio Deluxe,Thanks to Simon for mentioning them. I guess that's the cheapest price right now, after the 6th of December it goes up $100, so I'm thinking hard about getting Trash 2. It's more than I need really. But I do like adding distortion to somethings, Runciter has done well up til now, but when such full implementation is available at this price, it's almost a no Brainer..

Kind of regret that I didn't get the Bundle for $499 which includes Stutter Edit, Iris+5, Trash and Trash exp, But all in all I'm getting pretty good mileage for my Sound gear money these days..

edit: I'm still into looking at Saturn Maul, Ohmicide--> so the jury isn't out as yet after all.
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:I was working with Trash 2 last night. It's pretty full featured, I'm going for the deal for $134 at Audio Deluxe,Thanks to Simon for mentioning them. I guess that's the cheapest price right now, after the 6th of December it goes up $100, so I'm thinking hard about getting Trash 2. It's more than I need really. But I do like adding distortion to somethings, Runciter has done well up til now, but when such full implementation is available at this price, it's almost a no Brainer..

Kind of regret that I didn't get the Bundle for $499 which includes Stutter Edit, Iris+5, Trash and Trash exp, But all in all I'm getting pretty good mileage for my Sound gear money these days..
Kind of funny... just went to the site to see what their upgrade price is. They have the same "$99.00 but add to cart to see your lower price". Add to cart, check the price... $98.99. That's right, save a penny. I dunno, it just seems funny but maybe it's just 'cause it's late...

chrisby wrote:
TwoToneshuzz wrote:I was working with Trash 2 last night. It's pretty full featured, I'm going for the deal for $134 at Audio Deluxe,Thanks to Simon for mentioning them. I guess that's the cheapest price right now, after the 6th of December it goes up $100, so I'm thinking hard about getting Trash 2. It's more than I need really. But I do like adding distortion to somethings, Runciter has done well up til now, but when such full implementation is available at this price, it's almost a no Brainer..

Kind of funny... just went to the site to see what their upgrade price is. They have the same "$99.00 but add to cart to see your lower price". Add to cart, check the price... $98.99. That's right, save a penny. I dunno, it just seems funny but maybe it's just 'cause it's late...
I'd call that tragicomic! A penny. I think they need to dig a little deeper into their pockets it is also thanksGIVING!

Wait 100 minus 98.99, it's not that bad at all you save a dollar and a penny. Rejoice!!!!

Return to “Effects”